How would you improve your Pentax SLR?


Mike-P

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 13:31
Anvh wrote:
I wonder why most of you haven't jumped ship yet

Because the 7D hasn't got the tiltable screen of the A550, the AF speed of the D300, the IQ and K-mount from Pentax and the iso performance of the K-x


It does however have a pretty good 18mp sensor and excellent fps from the 7D.

Actually I forgot the inbuilt IS of Sony and the weather resistance of Pentax in the original post.

And I would also like a standard lens mount between all camera manufacturers.

As you can see, there is no such thing as the perfect camera.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 06/03/2010 - 13:36

womble

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 13:34
Anvh wrote:
... so we all want a 7D it seems, I wonder why most of you haven't jumped ship yet

I don't. Too much Pentax gear and the K10/K20 works perfectly well for what I do. If we jumped ship every time a manufacturer introduced a newer better model we'd be changing brands a dozen times a year.

I am going to take my KX out for a try out now. The "sensor" is a roll of Delta 100...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 13:38
womble wrote:
If we jumped ship every time a manufacturer introduced a newer better model we'd be changing brands a dozen times a year.

I think thats a slight exaggeration
. My Flickr

womble

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 13:39
Mike-P wrote:
I think thats a slight exaggeration

Well, maybe, but you get my point
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Anvh

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 14:47
Mike-P wrote:
Anvh wrote:
I wonder why most of you haven't jumped ship yet

Because the 7D hasn't got the tiltable screen of the A550, the AF speed of the D300, the IQ and K-mount from Pentax and the iso performance of the K-x


It does however have a pretty good 18mp sensor and excellent fps from the 7D.

Actually I forgot the inbuilt IS of Sony and the weather resistance of Pentax in the original post.

No it does have better ISO performance then the K-X so you can't say nothing about that Mike

Is the IS of the Sony better then that from Pentax?
I find the "tilt" reduction from Pentax pretty neat, don't think Sony has that yet.

Indeed there is no perfect camera but I'm already happy with what I have and it seems the world is shifting to the CMOS sensor, which is good for high ISO but I rarely shoot over ISO400 so I'm happier with a CCD
Seems you're forced to go mid-frame for those sensors, not that I'm complaining though, just hoping the 645D would be within my reach
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/03/2010 - 14:48

Mike-P

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 15:09
Stefan .. this is a thread about what WE would each like on our camera .. it's never going to happen .. its just daydreamimg.

As for ISO .. im not so sure, DSpreview said the K-x had possibly the best high ISO of any crop camera (and the 7D was released then).

Don't take everything so seriously
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 06/03/2010 - 15:11

Anvh

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 15:51
Don't worry Mike, was interesting to discuss why you prefer some things of other makes which might not be possibly better. Wondering if you prefer the make or that it was something else.
Stefan


K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 19:07
Actually, can I change my mind and just say I never thought I'd own a camera that produces the results of my K100D so easily and afford me so much pleasure whilst doing it.

I don't want for anything else, really.

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't mind a Velocette Venom and Jaguar XK 120 and a cottage in North Wales and Demi Moore's phone number...

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Dangermouse

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 20:46
The weather sealing of the K-7 would be nice to have, but apart from that I can't see how it could be any better (considering that the K-m was intended as a beginner DSLR). I would quite like to know why I have both Program and Green modes though - surely at least one is superfluous?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 21:17
Another vote for a non crippled K-mount!

I would like a smaller more streamlined camera (even though my K200D is not massive, it's a lot bigger than my favourite Pentax film cameras). I'm happy to retain a lot of features as menu options or accessed via the fn button, to keep the body uncluttered.

In fact a lot of features I can do without altogether - scene modes and digital filters for example.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

pentaxian450

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 21:36
Anvh wrote:

Is the IS of the Sony better then that from Pentax?
I find the "tilt" reduction from Pentax pretty neat, don't think Sony has that yet.

Not as far as I know. I tried a few Sony cameras, and I get better results with Pentax SR. It might be different for somebody else, but for me, Pentax is the winner.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

beardedwombat

Link Posted 06/03/2010 - 22:59
thoughton wrote:
RichardDay wrote:
Quote:
Mike-P wrote:
ISO performance from the K-x
FPS and 18mp from the 7D
AF speed from the D300
Tiltable screen from the Sony A550
IQ and K-mount from Pentax

All in a K10D body.

Wot he said!

Seconded, or is it thirded?!

Fourthed! Especially the articulated screen and ISO performance.

Plus:
Wider dynamic range
Huge viewfinder like an old manual SLR
A factory-installed split screen


Fifthed except K7 body, fully articulated 3" screen a la G1, and IS and dustbusting a la Olympus, visible focus points in the viewfinder, my menu, no increase in pixel count necessary thankyou.
Last Edited by beardedwombat on 06/03/2010 - 23:00

Greytop

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 10:02
beardedwombat wrote:

Fifthed except K7 body, fully articulated 3" screen a la G1, and IS and dustbusting a la Olympus, visible focus points in the viewfinder, my menu, no increase in pixel count necessary thankyou.

Just a tip, the K-7 does have a very similar dust busting technique to Oly (Ultra sonic vibration of the low pass filter)
Regards Huw

flickr

golfdiesel

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 16:14
beardedwombat wrote:
thoughton wrote:
Quote:
Unlocker wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
ISO performance from the K-x
FPS and 18mp from the 7D
AF speed from the D300
Tiltable screen from the Sony A550
IQ and K-mount from Pentax

All in a K10D body.

Wot he said!

Seconded, or is it thirded?!

Fourthed! Especially the articulated screen and ISO performance.

Plus:
Wider dynamic range
Huge viewfinder like an old manual SLR
A factory-installed split screen


Fifthed except K7 body, fully articulated 3" screen a la G1, and IS and dustbusting a la Olympus, visible focus points in the viewfinder, my menu, no increase in pixel count necessary thankyou.



Sixthed
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T

Father Ted

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 16:30
I'm happy with my trusty old istDL.
Well, maybe ....
12 mp sensor.
Split screen for focusing.

I think that's all I'd want...for now
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.