How to unsubscribe from this forum?

niklas

Link Posted 22/06/2009 - 22:50
My spam PM was send from Rosseline.

Niklas
15mm - 450mm equivalent, and still can't reach...

johnriley

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 00:07
Rosseline has been banned for a while now, so any messages being read have been there a couple of days at least.
Best regards, John

Thordell

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 08:16
Sorry but I am beginning to get the feeling we are being wound up - do people really get that upset over a PM?

Could be the OP is new to the internet and did not realise that others could join as easily as they did and then sit down and write what ever they like, just as they have.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

johnriley

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 08:21
Possibly, but an open mind until there's more to go on. But a pretty gentle attempt to wind anybody up if that's the case!
Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 08:25
I've noticed that those members who have reported receiving spam messages are themselves newly registered users. Is it possible that they are all actually the same person ? ? ?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

loskeran

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 08:25
The ones I get loads of are to my personal Email address, are the banking scammers, they must catch a few silly people willing to divulge their details and then their money or the scammers would not do it as for me, they are just wasting their time, I've spent it all on camera gear.

johnriley

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 09:10
There is some evidence that some new posters might use their outrage as an excuse to repost the offending material.

However, a bit of leeway is needed because a beginner newbie might just not realise what they have done, so you might find some content or the whole message is deleted as appropriate.
Best regards, John

niklas

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 09:54
Mannesty wrote:
I've noticed that those members who have reported receiving spam messages are themselves newly registered users. Is it possible that they are all actually the same person ? ? ?

I'm new alright, but don't count me in on being one and the same as the other new ones and don't count me in on doing any spamming.
That can be verified through IP from Admin.

Conspiration theorys belong in the movietheaters.

Let Admin deal with this issue.

I have lots of experience participating on comunities/fora for HiFi, sailing and motorcycling.

I have witnessed one community being hacked and driven down that way.

It was a Norwegian HiFi comunity.
Only reason was lack of attention from admins.......and of course the hacker.

A few members, from the hacked forum, without updated IE were having problems afterwards.
FF and Opera members had no probs.
I use FF.

I was wrong in my first post in this thread when stating: "I also saw messages in the threads containing only weird text. Obviously spam as well."

This was not on this forum but actually taking place on Pentax World a few days ago.
Weird though?

Niklas

Gwyn

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 10:31
It could be that the spammers are just using the new members to PM because they are the first names they see in the members list, rather than for any other reason.

I think there have been enough topics about this on here now for any genuine member to read and realise it is not the fault of the forum admin.

When an entire forum is hacked it is obvious and a real mess for the admin. We had it once on our forum before PHPBB issued an urgent update to solve it. It's one of the reasons we closed our forum down though - we got sick of the spammers joining, even with a security thingy in the sign up page, and spending so much time just sorting that out.

greynolds999

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 10:55
Gwyn wrote:
It could be that the spammers are just using the new members to PM because they are the first names they see in the members list, rather than for any other reason.

It also makes more sense to hit the new guys as they are most likely to be avtive and reading messages.
My Photobucket

aminstar

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 11:34
niklas wrote:

Niklas

Niklas

Yes, conspiracy theories are nice entertainment, I love them.
And here in the forum we have John to put them to rest swiftly and efficiently But we have to find one first. Has there been one? and have I missed it? Somebody please tell me

niklas wrote:

I have lots of experience participating on comunities/fora for HiFi, sailing and motorcycling.

Niklas

Aah, but that wasn't Pentax Community, was it?
Pentaxians are a unique bunch mate. Stick around and you will see what I mean .

niklas wrote:

I was wrong in my first post in this thread when stating: "I also saw messages in the threads containing only weird text. Obviously spam as well."

This was not on this forum but actually taking place on Pentax World a few days ago.
Weird though?

Niklas

Ah, so you got that wrong. Are you sure also then that the spam PM came from this forum? Couldn't it be that you got it on the other forum as well?
Just checking in case you got that one wrong too and sent John on a wild goose chase

Well, you all can see the mood I am in huh? I think I need to go puff some smoke or blow some bubbles before I get on someone's wrong side. Not sure how Danish humour is but if its anything like German then I am fried LOL. Ooops just kidding
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 23/06/2009 - 11:37

niklas

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 12:41
aminstar wrote:
niklas wrote:

Niklas

Niklas

Yes, conspiracy theories are nice entertainment, I love them.
And here in the forum we have John to put them to rest swiftly and efficiently But we have to find one first. Has there been one? and have I missed it? Somebody please tell me

Indeed there has.
The conspiracy that new members were one and the same and just maybe the one(s) to create the spam.

aminstar wrote:

niklas wrote:

Niklas

Aah, but that wasn't Pentax Community, was it?
Pentaxians are a unique bunch mate. Stick around and you will see what I mean .

Believe me when I tell you that HiFi nerds with addiction to tube/valve gear is rather unique too.

aminstar wrote:

niklas wrote:

Weird though?

Niklas

Ah, so you got that wrong. Are you sure also then that the spam PM came from this forum? Couldn't it be that you got it on the other forum as well?
Just checking in case you got that one wrong too and sent John on a wild goose chase

I got it right - now.
PM spam was on this community and Thread spamming was on Pentax World.

aminstar wrote:

Well, you all can see the mood I am in huh? I think I need to go puff some smoke or blow some bubbles before I get on someone's wrong side. Not sure how Danish humour is but if its anything like German then I am fried LOL. Ooops just kidding

Oh......I wasn't aware Germans had humor?

Just joking.
You may laugh now...........

Niklas

aminstar

Link Posted 23/06/2009 - 13:08
niklas wrote:

Just joking.
You may laugh now...........

Niklas

Now, this we like Niklas . Bring some humour amongst the gloom of messy spam topics and we all get a smile out of reading it.
Let me tick the column for Danish humour, fantastic .

Now the comment below makes a splash while entering and that raises a bit eyebrows around. Nothing specifically wrong with the comment except that we are quite used to a hello... I am so and so... from here and there... and I am here now... and then complaint, and that also still in a nice tone. No need even of caps in the comment which usually is translated as shouting in verbal tones and worse still the offensive remark without even making sure if its really the case (about harvesting data for marketing purposes)

RichA wrote:
I don't appreciate receiving Nigerian SPAM emails as private messages here. Which leads me to believe that like SO many of these kinds of forums, they are merely harvesting data for marketing reasons.

Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 23/06/2009 - 13:09

mowog

Link Posted 28/06/2009 - 14:33
Going back to the original question:

You can't unsubscribe.... It's like the Moonies, here... WE'VE GOT YOU FOREVER!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.
Last Edited by mowog on 28/06/2009 - 14:43
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.