Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How to unsubscribe from this forum?

RichA
Posted 22/06/2009 - 07:00 Link
I don't appreciate receiving Nigerian SPAM emails as private messages here. Which leads me to believe that like SO many of these kinds of forums, they are merely harvesting data for marketing reasons.
polchraine
Posted 22/06/2009 - 07:18 Link
Why not read ALL of the other posts on the subject.

Just like you , someone registered here and then proceeded to send PMs to other users.

Can you suggest a way to stop it?

And you are totally wrong about the forum being used to harvest data for marketing purposes - I have never received any marketing mail that used email data that originated here.
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...
johnriley
Posted 22/06/2009 - 08:10 Link
Hi Richard

I've sent you a PM (Private Message) and hope you will decide to stay around and get to know the real people on this site.
Best regards, John
Argee
Posted 22/06/2009 - 08:43 Link
RichA wrote:
Which leads me to believe that like SO many of these kinds of forums, they are merely harvesting data for marketing reasons.

Well, as you joined on June 10th and have made such a high number of posts, I can only bow to your greater knowledge, longevity, rationality and experience of this Forum. Jeez.

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
aminstar
Posted 22/06/2009 - 11:30 Link
RichA wrote:
I don't appreciate receiving Nigerian SPAM emails as private messages here. Which leads me to believe that like SO many of these kinds of forums, they are merely harvesting data for marketing reasons.

Do they really harvest data for marketing reasons?

I have never received spam email from Nigerian sources, at least not recently and definitely not through this forum.

RichA, you have made quite an impact with your entrance mate, and quick at the trigger.

You are prone to such nigerian spams from a variety of sources, unless of course you dont give your email to anyone or type your email anywhere at all
Gwyn
Posted 22/06/2009 - 11:56 Link
Forums do all the can to avoid spammers, either posting in the forum itself or as in the case by PMing people. There is very little the admin an do against this last method. They can put in a screener in so you have to type in numbers and letters to prevent automated membership trawls, but if someone actually physically joins there is little that can be done. It is possible to not allow full access to a forum until someone has introduced themself for instance, but that then compels everyone to do that, which makes a forum less open, and discourages genuine people from joining.

I didn't get the PM from the lady in question, so she obviously didn't spam everyone.
Greytop
Posted 22/06/2009 - 12:00 Link
Hi Richard,
Firstly welcome to the forum

And I'd add why not give the forum chance, it really is great place

I've never had any spam private messages and I think you were just unlucky, being a new member etc. Unfortunately it is hard to guard against this sort of thing and I know that other non-related forums that I am a member of have occasionally been targeted in a similar way.
Regards Huw

flickr
greynolds999
Posted 22/06/2009 - 12:11 Link
If you have been affected by spam, welcome to the internet. If someone has ever tried to con you, welcome to the real world. By repeating the message you are causing more problems than you are solving.

And it is not a real problem. Delete the message. Done.
Thordell
Posted 22/06/2009 - 12:36 Link
It is a shame that people are being upset but surely if they have been on the internet for more than a week or two they will have received a good few and know exactly what to do with them, that is what the delete button is for.

Don’t see you can blame the forum for other peoples juvenile stupidity just report and delete, reporting means others will not be bothered and deleting is a pleasurable experience particularly if you hit the button hard.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
aminstar
Posted 22/06/2009 - 13:27 Link
If I were to turn off my internet or stop exploring sites or forums due to the number of spams then I my internet connection would just be always off.

Just like some of the members have commented above, just deal with it and take steps rather than letting it get on top of you and splashing complains like the first comment here. That was quite an entrance I must say again. In the Far West this is what we would call shooting through the holster without even drawing the gun .
Edited by aminstar: 22/06/2009 - 13:27
Mannesty
Posted 22/06/2009 - 14:42 Link
Ravi wrote:
Hi,

I have just joined last week, and the first "Private message" I got is this:

Looks like this is a real problem.

Rgds

Ravi.

I feel left out now, I've been a member here for years and I've never had a spam message.

Welcome to the real world . . . and this forum. Now let's talk about your photography. Who are you, where are you, what kit do you use, where can we see some of your work . . . etc.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 22/06/2009 - 14:42
johnriley
Posted 22/06/2009 - 17:05 Link
Just a reminder that repeating the message re-publishes, so Ravi, your message has been deleted.

Please feel free to post and join in, you are most welcome, but repeating the spam simply circulates it again.

Cheers!
niklas
Posted 22/06/2009 - 22:00 Link
Just to let you know.
I also got some Nigerian spam PM.

As I have been member of a very huge amount of hifi, photo, car, motorcycle and sailing fora through many years, I can tell that I have never experienced this before.

I had spam sent to one of my webmail adresses, but never ever as a PM on a forum.

What's going on?

I also saw messages in the threads containing only weird text. Obviously spam as well.

Please clarify when problem is solved.

Niklas
15mm - 450mm equivalent, and still can't reach...
aminstar
Posted 22/06/2009 - 22:07 Link
So its spam sent through PM, and not on the email addy?
More so to just think why make such a big fuss? Surely we all know its the easiest way to send spam to someone, it doesn't take much to register oneself and then send spam to other members and obviously the administrators are working on it and they usually are pretty good at sorting this out.
I dont see this as a reason for the tone of the first comment, gosh,,,, someone sounds really annoyed huh?

And talking about spam on PM, this, I have never received on this forum, this is really discrimination and I want to complain to the higher authorities. Anyone care to tell me how to please
Edited by aminstar: 22/06/2009 - 22:09
Malo1961
Posted 22/06/2009 - 22:18 Link
aminstar wrote:
So its spam sent through PM, and not on the email addy?
More so to just think why make such a big fuss? Surely we all know its the easiest way to send spam to someone, it doesn't take much to register oneself and then send spam to other members and obviously the administrators are working on it and they usually are pretty good at sorting this out.
I dont see this as a reason for the tone of the first comment, gosh,,,, someone sounds really annoyed huh?

Well said ! Every forum is easy to register on. Actually this way of spam involves a lot of work, by a actual person.
How pathetic he/she may be. Normal e-mail spam is generated by auto-bots and gives much more hassle and nuisance.
I really don't understand all the mayhem.

So chill out , relax and enjoy the forum.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.