How to kill the FPS of a K7 :-(

Goliath_UK

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 10:02
Morning all,

Thought I'd post a little warning/hard won experience for you all! I've just spent a happy weekend at Silverstone watching the FIA GT1 World championship. All going well until the moment I found a good position and started burst mode shooting of the cars - The K7 seemed to have developed narcolepsy: max throughput seemed to be about 3 FPS with a really long time to be able to review shots after they'd been taken (about 10-15 seconds!!!).

After trying different SD cards, taking my grip off, swearing (a lot) and considering driving to Pentax UK and shoving the camera with it's attached 60-250 where the sun doesn't shine, I finally realized what the problem was. I'd been fiddling with the settings a couple of weeks ago and had turned on Distortion Correction (within the Lens Correction sub-menu) on to see what difference it made - turns out the major difference is that it slows the write speed down to a crawl

The moral of the story - If fiddling with settings, make sure you fiddle them back again
John

"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"

My Flickr
My PPG Entries

bento2

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 10:32
Goliath,

Many thanks for this piece of info. Had been wondering why my K7 had been taking so long to write to the card. Turned off the distortion correction - all abck to normal.
Thanks again!

cameraboy

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 11:05
Again thanks to you I never realized just how much faster it is now. Regards Ian
k7 10-17fe 12-24 55 100 macro 18-55 50-200

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 18:10
I had the same thing happen to me a while back. I was, like yourself, fiddling in the menus and found that one too and thought that's a good idea we'll have some of that. The next time I was at the karting my burst mode was like a three toed sloth...with rickets! Luckily I realised it had occurred after fiddling and retraced my steps, switched it off and made a mental note to leave it off in future as distortion can be corrected in PP.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

Northgrain

Link Posted 06/06/2011 - 18:56
Doh! Thanks for posting John - I've had the same problem... now solved.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

Goliath_UK

Link Posted 07/06/2011 - 11:47
Lol, I'm quite glad it's not just me with FFS
John

"Before we invent Artificial Intelligence, shouldn't we eliminate natural stupidity?"

My Flickr
My PPG Entries
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.