Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How to capture subjects running towards you?

Epithet Man
Posted 30/08/2011 - 20:56 Link
My favourite photographic subjects are my children. For some time I've been trying, without success, to capture a great photo of one or more of them running towards me.

I get quite a few natural opportunities to try this but I never seem to have the opportunity to pre-focus on a specific point. I also like shots with small depth of field, so this makes things even harder. I don't really want to stage it because they usually pull silly faces for staged photos.

My normal setup of choice is K10D with DA*50-135mm.

Any tips, or am I wasting my time with the auto-focus on the K10D?

EM
johnriley
Posted 30/08/2011 - 21:19 Link
Focus on a point is the only sure way, and just wait for them to run through that point. Alternatively, small aperture, fast shutter speed, high ISO and don't bother to focus at all. This last method will work best with wider lenses where ther'e a bit of DOF to play with.
Best regards, John
Anvh
Posted 30/08/2011 - 21:28 Link
Epithet Man wrote:
Any tips, or am I wasting my time with the auto-focus on the K10D?

Sadly you're.

I did manage though getting the candid shots when they were playing while i use the K10D and the DA*50-135.
It can be done but it's not great way of doing it.

It's really a hit and a lot off miss.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 30/08/2011 - 21:29
davidtrout
Posted 30/08/2011 - 21:33 Link
Set the camera on continuous focus and on continuous shooting mode. Get the kids to run towards you and just keep your finger on the button. The K10 will shoot in fast bursts and sure as hell some of the the frames will be sharp. It gets better with plenty of practise.
David
Edited by davidtrout: 30/08/2011 - 21:34
Epithet Man
Posted 30/08/2011 - 21:42 Link
OK, will give these ideas a try next time the opportunity arises.

My default settings are for continuous focus and continuous shooting, but I always forget about the continuous shooting mode (until I accidently keep my finger down for too long and take multiple shots :blush

EM
JohnX
Posted 31/08/2011 - 10:02 Link
Try 'catch in focus'?

Check out this post. https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/catch-in-focus--9499
Frogherder
Posted 01/09/2011 - 17:20 Link
I would use the longest focal length and make sure you have an escape path. They don't tend to stop and then they're on top of you.

Bernard

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.