Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How many shots has my IST D Taken?

dexteruk
Posted 27/11/2006 - 07:52 Link
Just a thought - I know on some cameras it's possible to find out exactly how many shots the camera has taken in it's life - is it possible with the IST D?
johnriley
Posted 27/11/2006 - 08:04 Link
I have my *istDS counting continuously even when cards are changed, so I presume the same can be set on the *istD?
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 27/11/2006 - 08:42 Link
Nope. At 9,999 it goes back to one.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 27/11/2006 - 08:54 Link
I presume they all do that - did the question assume that the life of the camera would exceed 9,999 images?

I wonder how many will reach that, not because they can't but because they will be upgraded long before.

So far, my *istDS is up to just short of a modest 4000 shots....
Best regards, John
George Lazarette
Posted 27/11/2006 - 08:58 Link
I'm up to 40 or 50 thousand on both of my D bodies. Or more. Lost count ages ago.

Both look new apart from a tiny bit of paint loss on the hot shoe. And, more importantly, they work properly - for the moment.

G
MattMatic
Posted 27/11/2006 - 09:18 Link
Mine's on a modest 15k, but it looks it too
Probably the most wear for mine is on the K-mount - changing lenses in a hurry

In fact, AFAIK, all Pentax cameras have the ability to reset the image count back to zero after a card change In other words, you can't get a genuine, reliable, indicator of age and amount of use - perhaps only by examining the wear and tear.

Matt
Daniel Bridge
Posted 27/11/2006 - 10:36 Link
Mine's up to about 15,000 too, only showing wear to the green rectangle on the mode selector, the hotshoe, and just a bit more 'polished' where my hand holds it.

I say 'about' 15,000 because inexplicably, the numbers jumped backwards by a few hundred a while back, not long after I went past the 10,000. I'd got to about 10,900, when the next images were numbered 10,200 odd. THAT was a pain in the backside as far as image numbering and saving on the computer was concerned - "Do you want to overwrite the other file?" - NO I DO NOT!!

Dan

P.S. George, do you wear silk gloves when using your D's? Actually, and seriously for a change, are you more studio based? Or do you just treat your cameras exceptionally well?
George Lazarette
Posted 27/11/2006 - 13:00 Link
I'm mainly a studio man. I treat the cameras well most of the time, but occasionally drop them!

G
dexteruk
Posted 28/11/2006 - 06:49 Link
johnriley wrote:
I presume they all do that - did the question assume that the life of the camera would exceed 9,999 images?

yep i'm afraid so!

I've had the camera since early this year (bought from my dad, he owned it from new) But i've gone round the clock several times since I've had it. Can't tell exactly how many but on a busy weekend i can shoot a couple of thousand shots. (don't think i'm quite up to George's level though...!)

Rarely gets used indoors - I mainly shoot motorsports and car meets. The camera gets used in all weathers - i will confess it's been rained on more than a few times (i've got a cover for it - but if it starts to rain while i'm shooting then i'd rather get the shots then stop when i get the chance)

To my eyes the camera looks pretty much new - no appreciable wear anywhere.

George - I'm guessing you may have yours serviced periodically to keep them in good shape - any recommendations?
George Lazarette
Posted 28/11/2006 - 07:10 Link
The one I dropped went into Pentax at Slough to have the top plate replaced - the hotshoe had been torn off (it had a flash on it at the time).

I asked for it to be serviced at the same time, and it came back with in lovely shape with a six months guarantee.

The other one has never been serviced, and shows no sign of needing one.

G
tedwhite
Posted 29/11/2006 - 01:56 Link
George:

You mentioned that you were primarily a studio man. Perhaps you might give me a bit of advice. Last June I leased the ground floor of an old hotel (1500 square feet) with 14 foot ceilings, built quite a nice and roomy wet darkroom and still have lots of space, including a walled-in courtyard - 20 foot high concrete walls so no direct sunlight - that's wonderful for available light work.

Getting to my point here, I formed a co-op with four very good photographers to keep the rent share manageable, and they've contributed various gear, including fine Norman and Novatron studio lighting systems, but I'm damned if I can get the istDS to work with either. I bought the Wein Safe-Synch hotshoe adapter with the pc socket. With the Wein fitted to the camera's mount nothing happens, although the Wein will fire both systems when you press its test button. And, by placing a white 4X5 card in front of the pop-up flash I could get the systems to fire, but that's silly business.

I'm wondering if I'll have the same problem with the 10D I'm on the point of buying. They are now available in Tucson, Arizona.

Ted

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.