How many people have needed to calibrate lenses - K20d/K5?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

Smeggypants

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 17:01
For distance stuff the 10-17 does indeed have a wide DOF.

But for close ups, where it excels it's definitely worth checking and calibrating it. My 10-17 has needed calibration at very close distances on all my cameras. I first noticed it when I left for a shoot one day with the 10-17 attached to my K10D. I spotted a moth asleep on my front door and decided to take a real close up of it. I used the AF and could tell straight away from even the LCD preview that the shot was way OOF. Once calibrated it was real sharp. Great lens.

Focussing on close to infinity at the 0.5m mark is a bit suspect though. I just tried mine and focussing on close to infinity leaves the focus barrel in the oo marker. focussing something 0.5m away does say 0.5 on the barrel.

I would check your AF calibration at close distances and see if that affects the further distances
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Pwynnej

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 18:13
johnriley wrote:

There is such enormous DOF that focusing should not leave anything out of focus. It's a very sharp lens indeed, so something must have happened to yours, such as a serious knock.

Or a manufacturing fault
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

terje-l

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:19
johnriley wrote:
All my lenses have been spot on, and that means a lot of lenses.

Just curious, John, but are you saying that your lens/camera combinations are all 100% correct as compared to all the posts complaining about FF and BF, or ar you really saying that your equipment is "good enough" for your purposes?

I have not done any calibrations yet, but have been considering to do so. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Smeggypants

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:32
terje-l wrote:
johnriley wrote:

Just curious, John, but are you saying that your lens/camera combinations are all 100% correct as compared to all the posts complaining about FF and BF, or ar you really saying that your equipment is "good enough" for your purposes?

I have not done any calibrations yet, but have been considering to do so. Maybe I shouldn't bother.

Why? John has obviously checked his lens calibrations to find out they were all spot on. Otherwise how would he know?

You should at least check them for the same reason. You might be getting pics less sharp than you might be able to enjoy. You can't damage anything. If the '0' default setting turns out to be the optimal setting and 'spot on', as in John's case, then simply return it to that.

I nearly got rid of a lens once because I thought it was crap. This was before I learned about AF Calibration. I'm glad I didn't. I love the lens now.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Mannesty

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 06:15
One thing to remember is that for those who use manual focus most, or all, of the time, their lens/body calibration will 'appear' to be accurate.

The available adjustment is for auto focus inaccuracies and apparently doesn't affect manual focus.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 10:06
Yes, my lenses focus where they should, but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't check yours. None of this will help if the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder isn't set properly first, and that's where I would always start.

Point the camera at a blank, defocused area (sky, white wall, etc.) and adjust until the etched lines in the viewfinder are sharp. Now you can see your camera snap in and out of focus properly and start to look at other factors.

If your images are OK though I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Those who have found problems have found them in specific circumstances where they have been critical to them. For eamkple, if you were disatisfiewd with your macro shots, where it's very critical to get focus right, then you would start to test what was going on.
Best regards, John

malcolmk

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 13:54
johnriley wrote:
malcolmk wrote:
Quote:

My two month old 10-17 has only been used for very close work and not a great deal of that but this week I took it to a high spot overlooking London and saw it auto-focussing on distant buldings to the 0.5 metres point.

Whether I used that setting or manual infinity the results could hardly be softer. Is that what I should expect? I shall do some serious testing after the 1.03 upgrade but as it stands it looks like a return trip to Watford is called for.

All other lenses are fine.

There is such enormous DOF that focusing should not leave anything out of focus. It's a very sharp lens indeed, so something must have happened to yours, such as a serious knock.

DOF - my thoughts too.

The truth is that I didn't particularly want to reveal is that I bought this lens as a present to myself two months ago, took one shot an inch from someone's nose for a lark and never used it again until last week. It was very disappointing. Unusable would be a better description.

The face shot never got beyond the rear LCD before being deleted. No knocks but this was the first lens I allowed SRS to send me in the post. Mind you it had a mile of bubble wrap around it.
Last Edited by malcolmk on 13/03/2011 - 13:56

johnriley

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 13:58
Posting shouldn't be a problem. The lens may have been faulty from the beginning, but to be sure just take some shots outside in good light at a variety of distances. It you're not happy, contact SRS.
Best regards, John

Chrism8

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 14:09
I have been following this thread with interest and all of this has made me consider that at least I need to check the lenses I have, some of these have been ones that have been mentioned within this thread.

But, How do I go about it, can anyone point me in the right direction please,

Cheers
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

simonkit

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 14:21
Chrism8 wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest and all of this has made me consider that at least I need to check the lenses I have, some of these have been ones that have been mentioned within this thread.

Cheers

Having created the thread I'm thinking the same thing Chris, I've never checked my lenses on the K20D as I've never really seen any issues with them but it still sounds like a useful exercise...it would be useful if a link or 2 could be posted for the best test chart etc
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

malcolmk

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 14:34
johnriley wrote:
Posting shouldn't be a problem. The lens may have been faulty from the beginning, but to be sure just take some shots outside in good light at a variety of distances. It you're not happy, contact SRS.

I know I should have done this before posting but I have ventured into the garden in the rain and used a distant (200 feet?) leafless tree as a target.

This time the lens auto-focussed to infinity (it went to half a metre in bright light looking over London) and the shots at 17 mm F8, 10mm F8 and 17mm F4.5 look better than the London shots to me. But the 10mm F3.5 is unsurprisingly noticeably softer.

Looking back at those London shots (all F7.1 and F8, mostly 10mm) I see they have an amount of purple fringing.

Is it pssible that I hadn't clicked the lens right home, though with a flange to flange contact I wouldn't have thought focus would be affected, but then the wavelength of light is very small.

I shall have to wait for another sunny day, could be a long wait, there has only been three here so far this year, and climb the hill again.

Thanks for your advice anyway I suspect this may be case of user error and expecting too much detail from my 16 megapixels.

johnriley

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 14:43
My entry in this week's weekly comnpetition is shot with the 10-17mm, if that helps.
Best regards, John

malcolmk

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 15:25
johnriley wrote:
My entry in this week's weekly competition is shot with the 10-17mm, if that helps.

Thank you John that is very helpful. Not fair to compare a 150KB JPG with an original DNG but I am beginning to think I am too fussy by far.

Something is odd about those across London shots but today's tests are on a par with yours as far as I can tell given the different file sizes.

I shall assume that yet again I have commited some beginner's error with my K5.

royd63uk

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 15:57
Quote:

Mentioned once before,links to charts

here
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

gartmore

Link Posted 13/03/2011 - 15:57
malcolmk wrote:
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
johnriley wrote:

My two month old 10-17 has only been used for very close work and not a great deal of that but this week I took it to a high spot overlooking London and saw it auto-focussing on distant buldings to the 0.5 metres point.

Whether I used that setting or manual infinity the results could hardly be softer. Is that what I should expect? I shall do some serious testing after the 1.03 upgrade but as it stands it looks like a return trip to Watford is called for.

All other lenses are fine.

DOF - my thoughts too.

The truth is that I didn't particularly want to reveal is that I bought this lens as a present to myself two months ago, took one shot an inch from someone's nose for a lark and never used it again until last week. It was very disappointing. Unusable would be a better description.

The face shot never got beyond the rear LCD before being deleted. No knocks but this was the first lens I allowed SRS to send me in the post. Mind you it had a mile of bubble wrap around it.

I rather suspect that there isn't enough contrast/detail on those distant buildings for the autofocus to work. Try locking onto the edge of the building against the sky.

As you say, you haven't used it much, perhaps you should persevere
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 13/03/2011 - 15:59
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.