How many people have needed to calibrate lenses - K20d/K5?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

simonkit

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 11:55
Having owned the K20D for a while I've never considered the need to calibrate individual lenses but see an increasing number of threads mentioning the need to do this on the K5.

I guess it's possible my lenses may benefit from some calibration on the K20D but having not noticed any particualr issues in my photos I've never taken things further.

My question is are these calibration issues been noted due to "pixel peeping" and have little effect in "real world viewing" or does the K5 need a bit more tweaking than previous models to get the best from it?

The reason I ask is that my K20D has always been hassle free, I can just concentrate on taking photos and whilst the K5 is definitely on my buy list I'm not really keen on spending nearly a 1000 for a load of hassle?

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 12/03/2011 - 11:56

Cisco

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:08
what about K7 ?? what if we only have 1 of those ?
K-7 | K10 | DA 18-135 | DA 18-250 | DA 55-300 | DFA 100 |

lemmy

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:09
If you have no problem with the focussing, leave it alone!

I had one lens on my GX20 which was obviously out but all the others were fine. On my K5, all lenses are fine including the one that was out on the GX.

I don't know why this would be but the error on my GX was repeatable and demonstrable.

Even if the effect was only obvious on pixel peeping, since the facility is there to improve accuracy, why not? Plainly, if there was never a need for it, Pentax would not include it.
lemmy
My Home Pages, Cartoons and Videos

gartmore

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:11
None of my lenses have needed any adjustment whatsoever

bforbes

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:16
I did with the K10 but not since.

Cayman

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:25
My 43mm needed AF adjustment on the k20d (it was obviously OOF when used wide open) - all other lenses are fine.

royd63uk

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 12:34
only the 55-300 on the K5

only happens wide open

johnriley

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 13:11
All my lenses have been spot on, and that means a lot of lenses.

MostlyHarmless

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 13:30
I've only ever had to do a Tamron 17-50 on a K20d. It's fine on a K-5.

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 14:06
My Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 has needed adjustment on K10D/K20D/K-7 and K-5.
My FA 50mm f1.7 and DA* 55mm f1.4 needed adjustment on the K10D (luckily the same way as the Sigma due to adjustment being an all lens solution).

Evrything else has been such a small adjustment I didn't bother.
. My Flickr

Smeggypants

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 14:18
All my lenses have needed some calibration on my (ex)K10D, K20D and K-5.

I bought my K10D with a Sigma 17-70 attached. A good deal at the time, but I was aghast to find it softer than a soft thing. I thought the Sigma lens was duff until I tried it on my K20D and with was much sharper ( needed a slight adjustment )

Shortly afterwards I discovered the issue of having to calibrate the AF for lenses and once I'd calibrated that K10+sigma combo it was sharp as a sharp thing. I suspect the previous owner sold it becuase it was so soft in the uncalibrated state.

Mannesty

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 14:25
I can't answer the poll because the choice of answers is flawed. I have only a K20D (2x), and I've made small adjustments for most of my lenses.

To answer "Just on the K20D" would imply that I haven't had to adjust my K5, which I haven't got.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 12/03/2011 - 14:25

Oggy

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 14:33
I am in a similar position to Mannesty.

I have had a go at calibrating lenses on my K20 more out of curiosity than necessity. I have not been able to improve the focus of any of my lenses though.

malcolmk

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 15:50
johnriley wrote:

My two month old 10-17 has only been used for very close work and not a great deal of that but this week I took it to a high spot overlooking London and saw it auto-focussing on distant buldings to the 0.5 metres point.

Whether I used that setting or manual infinity the results could hardly be softer. Is that what I should expect? I shall do some serious testing after the 1.03 upgrade but as it stands it looks like a return trip to Watford is called for.

All other lenses are fine.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/03/2011 - 16:32
malcolmk wrote:
johnriley wrote:

My two month old 10-17 has only been used for very close work and not a great deal of that but this week I took it to a high spot overlooking London and saw it auto-focussing on distant buldings to the 0.5 metres point.

Whether I used that setting or manual infinity the results could hardly be softer. Is that what I should expect? I shall do some serious testing after the 1.03 upgrade but as it stands it looks like a return trip to Watford is called for.

All other lenses are fine.

There is such enormous DOF that focusing should not leave anything out of focus. It's a very sharp lens indeed, so something must have happened to yours, such as a serious knock.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.