How many flash units can you use and other questions

Hiljon

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 00:54
I have a K200D and use a 360 flash in wireless mode. Am I correct in saying that I can use up to four external units fired by the pre-flash in the K200D. Also, are there remote systems that can be used to fire an external flash unit / s using the K200D and and external flash being fired though an umbrella.

Finally, are there any Gel colour kits available for the Pentax 360/ 540

Thanks

Lewis

pentaxian450

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 02:11
I don't know how many you can use, but I know I often use three in P-TTL mode (with K20D) with no problems at all. Unfortunately, the results are not so good in wireless mode with the K-7.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Clarky

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 06:58
pentaxian450 wrote:
Unfortunately, the results are not so good in wireless mode with the K-7.

Why is that Yves, What probs are you having. I have 2 540's I have used wirelessly without any issues. ??
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

pentaxian450

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 10:12
Clarky wrote:

Why is that Yves, What probs are you having. I have 2 540's I have used wirelessly without any issues. ??

The exposure in wireless mode is not always as consistent as the one I get with the K20D, and whenever I want to use the onboard flash as controller only, it always contribute to the exposure more than the K20D's onboard flash.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 11:36
Somewhere in the menus is the option for the K7 internal flash not to contribute to the exposure when use as the trigger.

However, the alternative is to buy an Interfit (or other make) Infra Red trigger. This fits in the hotshoe of the camera and will trigger as many flash units as you like as long as they are in slave mode.

We use this routinely with studio flash and it works just as well with the Pentax flashguns.
Best regards, John

Mannesty

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:01
johnriley wrote:
. . .the alternative is to buy an Interfit (or other make) Infra Red trigger.

Does this IR trigger fire Pentax AF360/540FGZ flashes then John?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

nathanever82

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:18
Same question as Peter,

do you not need a slave unit to fire the flashes? or does it work directly camera hot-shoe -> flash Ir sensor?

If this is the case, it would be revolutionary to my shooting!
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

nathanever82

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:25
Looking for this product i found some not-too-positive reviews.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-interfit-int411-ir-flash-transmitter/p12455

so perhaps one must always consider that the interfit is for studio work only.

I wonder if the poketwizard has some similar product that does not need a receiving slave unit. (I still haven't understood if the new canon/nikon miniPW unit is exactly this. - I will check it out..)

Anvh

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:40
nathanever82 wrote:
I wonder if the poketwizard has some similar product that does not need a receiving slave unit. (I still haven't understood if the new canon/nikon miniPW unit is exactly this. - I will check it out..)

The Interfit only activates IR sensitive flashes and the Pentax flash guns are not one of them so you need an IR receiver on their hotshoes like it would be the case with a lot of flashguns, only some studio flashes have an IR trigger inside I believe.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Mannesty

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:43
I figured that was the case Stefan. The IR trigger will indirectly fire a Pentax flash in slave 2 mode by firing the IR equipped flash head(s) first.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 12:58
True, my original comment was in error.

However, the comment about the menus on the K7 was accurate in that we were using the feature. As there was some doubt expressed about that it is possible that the feature was added in a firmware upgrade, but I don't know as I don't have a K7 as yet.

The Interfit IR trigger works fine in terms of range. The power saving function can be a nuisance, but on the other hand it does the job perfectly well at a low cost.
Best regards, John

nathanever82

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 13:05
ah, thank you all for the replies!

now i can go on and study these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160357023241&ssPageName=STR...

Now the problem with these is that they come in nikon and canon mount, and it seems that the pentax would work with the trigger of one, and slave unit of the other. and its not even sure it works at all. (there are various threads in pentax forums around the web)

Having the cheap ebay triggers and only being able to sinc those up to 1/30th of a second, I am very interested in finding some relatively inexpensive triggers that will work up to speed (1/180th). It is really a huge problem. Nonetheless, I find the in-camera IR trigger with pentax flashes absolutely great, and it works a treat, but it does restrict some functions and even in 'control' mode, the on camera flash is always present in studio environment.

Maybe I should just get some proper studio strobes, but that would be such an unjustifiable waste of money...

johnriley

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 13:10
Studio flash kits can be less expensive than a couple of Pentax 540 flash units...and easier to use in some ways. I suppose it depends on what you have in mind to do.
Best regards, John

nathanever82

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 13:13
the same studio shoots I've been doing for a while.

problem is that with all the events i'm shooting, I can't even think of getting rid of the flashes i have.

and for my small studio work in the house, the power of the flashguns is more than enough. only a modelling light and faster recycle times would be helpful...

nathanever82

Link Posted 07/12/2009 - 13:15
oh, and I wouldn't get the cheapest systems out there either. I'd need at least 500W, and some durable reliable lights, surely with the possibility of adding a power pack to take outdoors.

So we are talking of bowens, or elinchrome, and speaking about 1000 only for the strobes and triggers, + another 1000 for the power pack.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.