Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Homemade ring flash

Pawel_Pikor
Posted 08/05/2011 - 10:52 Link
Hello everybody.

I wonder if there is any ring flash for Pentax's flash guns or maybe you got some homemade projects? I checked RayFlash and they do rings for Nikon and Canon only. Unless they'll fit to Pentax after little tuning
As we know Pentax has own ring flashes but is there any difference between big RayFlash and Macro rign flash?
K20D+grip, 16-45/4, 28-80 PZ, 28-70/4, MG, ME Super
digikid-tv
Posted 08/05/2011 - 11:21 Link
If you need a ringflash for macro work (ie not much power and range needed) I find that the Vivitar 5000 is quite useable and they are usually available from the auction site quite cheaply.

It is a simple auto unit, or you can use it in manual full power mode. I find that I need to use ISO400 for the results I require, but of course the light can be augmented in a light tent with other optically triggered manual flash guns.

I think that these are sold under other brands, I just looked at the current listings and a Centon MR20 looks identical.

I paid 20 for mine shipped, albeit missing some of the stepping rings originally supplied.
John
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 08/05/2011 - 16:06 Link
Thanks John, but I'm looking to use ring flash in portraits. I never used such lighting so don't know if macro ring flash can be use for it. I just found at ebay few of these. Price around that what you've paid. It looks like no point in making ring flash due price of it
Did anybody used ring flash for portraits?
K20D+grip, 16-45/4, 28-80 PZ, 28-70/4, MG, ME Super
Don
Posted 08/05/2011 - 16:08 Link
I do quite frequently...
I use the af080c
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
digikid-tv
Posted 08/05/2011 - 17:18 Link
Probably not enough 'go' in the Vivitar 5000 for portraits, it is really designed for macro work. The max range is quoted as 0.98 metre.
John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.