Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Holiday to Italy mid June.

takuman
Posted 23/05/2017 - 18:48 Link
Bear with me on this guys as this is coming from hospital bed. Off to Italy June 14th
Based at Lake Garda (if I can escape from here). Several trips arranged. travelling light. K3ii + 18-125 3.8-5.6 OSM DC lens. + grip, 4 batteries, 2 chargers. Also.GRD. Intend using the Autumn months to PS or LR any of use. Any advice please, don't expect any fast response as this has worn me out
Regards to you all John
Just passing thru
pschlute
Posted 23/05/2017 - 19:46 Link
If you are not actually staying there, take a trip to Riva at the far end of the lake. Sirmione is suposed to be very quaint too. Hire a car and drive up into Switzerland via the passes, not the tunnels. Some great views there. Also Verona is very close to Garda, very touristy and overpriced but worth a visit nonetheless.
swarf
Posted 23/05/2017 - 20:26 Link
The ferries that traverse the lake are really good, so make use of them. As Peter noted, Sermione is very picturesque as is Malcesine. Il Vittoriale, the final home of Gabriele D'Annunzio near Gardone Riviera is also worth a visit.

if you are mobile, the Borhetto sul Mincio is also worth going to, but there are loads of places nearby worth visiting.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
takuman
Posted 23/05/2017 - 20:37 Link
Thanks Peter, we are staying Bardalino. Several trips pre booked, Florence, Venice, the Dolomites+ 3 others oh yes day trip around the lake and 3 others which escape me at the moment my interest lies mostly in buildings and scenic. Any technical advice most welcome. Knackered now and leaving earth orbit.
Just passing thru
jeallen01
Posted 24/05/2017 - 09:20 Link
I'd take a wider angle lens if you have one - very useful both in and out of towns/buildings, and do you really need 4 batteries & 2 chargers if you are "travelling light"?
Edited: FWIW, my "standard"" lens for travelling is my 10-20 Sigma - and sometimes even that is not wide enough in narrow streets (and there are a LOT of narrow streets in Italy!).
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Edited by jeallen01: 24/05/2017 - 09:48
LennyBloke
Posted 24/05/2017 - 09:36 Link
I'd re-enforce the view that a wider lens will be particularly useful. Venice is often quite crowded and there a lot of smaller "streets" running along side the canals where an ultra-wide can be very handy. The Dolomites will also benefit from an ultra-wide for some shots - they are pretty impressive and you'll be shooting mainly from close range (relatively).

I haven't done Florence from Lake Garda (yet) - it's certainly one of the longer trips, but my eldest Daughter tells me it's a most beautiful city.

Have a good recovery then a great trip
LennyBloke
takuman
Posted 24/05/2017 - 09:49 Link
Thank's guys for tips etc. I do have Sigma 10-20 which is my go for wide. I do not intend carrying everything with me , my wife takes the GDR and I will have camera + lens. The other batteries will be back at hotel brewing for next day. So thanks for wide suggestion 2 lens and K3ii should cover thing's.
Just passing thru

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.