Hi from CT -- lens/body question

bartbrn

Link Posted 02/07/2009 - 22:23
While I ponder my budget and what I can sell off (is my PZ-1p body worth anything? It's in pristine condition), I have another problem I hope someone can give me some advice about: my SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom lens is missing the P>A>AS Power Zoom (I assume) button and cover, lost long ago in the mists of time. I emailed Pentax tech support, but haven't heard anything yet. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Bart

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/07/2009 - 22:53
Click on 'My Settings' at top right, then enter your location in the field 'Display Location'.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Mannesty

Link Posted 02/07/2009 - 22:55
bartbrn wrote:
While I ponder my budget and what I can sell off (is my PZ-1p body worth anything? It's in pristine condition), I have another problem I hope someone can give me some advice about: my SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom lens is missing the P>A>AS Power Zoom (I assume) button and cover, lost long ago in the mists of time. I emailed Pentax tech support, but haven't heard anything yet. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Bart

Funny, I have exactly the same issue with exactly the same lens.

www.harrowtechnical.co.uk or www.asahiphoto.co.uk might be able to help. Both in UK though.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

polchraine

Link Posted 03/07/2009 - 01:44
From what you say and your casual/occasional photography the K-m / K-2000 will be fine.

Where in Conn are you? I have family around Norwalk, New Cannan, Darien.

What about new from B&H in NYC and being out of state there would be no sales tax!
K20D, *istD, MZ-S, Super-A, ME Super, MX
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300,
DA 50-200, FA 24-90, FA 20-35,
M 400-600, A 50 f1.4, A 28 f2.8, A 70-210, M 35-80, M 50 f1.7
A x2S teleconverter and a few others ...

bartbrn

Link Posted 03/07/2009 - 02:30
Mannesty wrote:

It's odd -- looking around several web forums, I've found at least 4 other instances of people with the same switch falling off the same lens. QC problem?

Thanks!

Bart

bartbrn

Link Posted 03/07/2009 - 02:34
polchraine wrote:
From what you say and your casual/occasional photography the K-m / K-2000 will be fine.

Where in Conn are you? I have family around Norwalk, New Cannan, Darien.

What about new from B&H in NYC and being out of state there would be no sales tax!

Yeah, I've looked at B&H (and Abe's, Adorama, etc.), and I'm going to have to sell some stuff on eBay to make the nut. I'm REALLY broke! That's why I was looking for the "pre-owned" option.

I'm in Clinton, which is on the shoreline, about halfway between New Haven and New London -- quite East of Norwalk, New Canaan, and Darien (known here as "the Gold Coast"). Our part of the state is known as the Dirt Coast!

Thanks!

Bart
Last Edited by bartbrn on 03/07/2009 - 02:35

bartbrn

Link Posted 05/07/2009 - 02:20
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. I've decided to sell a Heuer Autavia chronograph I've had for 40 years (and haven't worn in 30), and use the proceeds to get a K10D (I think). While I'd be delighted with a K7, I just can't justify (yet!) the $1300 or so a body alone would cost. Anyone know when the K7s are going to arrive in the US? I imagine there will be a number of K10s and 20s on the market when the K7s show up. Which brings me to my next question: What are the differences, and pros and cons, of the K10 vs K20?

My main interest in photography has for many years been vintage racing cars. I live about 2 hours from Lime Rock, and grew up 40 miles from Watkins Glen, which I started visiting in 1964, at the age of 16. No spring chicken! I'm going to keep the PZ-1 for B&W and re-build my darkroom. I love digital for color (many years of Photoshop work), but I also love sniffin' those chemicals, and greatly enjoy the multitudinous frustrations and rare joys of printmaking. I'm delighted I found this forum.

Thanks again!

Bart Brown

bartbrn

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 02:10
Mannesty wrote:

So, I forgot to ask -- what are you doing about the missing AS button? I talked to someone on another forum who just taped the thing over -- keeps the crud and water out, but not a very elegant solution!

Bart

Clarky

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 04:12
I have owned 2 of these lenses, 1 had lost its button (common fault I believe) and the other was in perfect condition. I sold both on Ebay and the one without a button sold for more than the one with the button

These lenses can be picked up very cheaply so I don't believe fixing it would be worth the expense.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

shim

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 07:25
From what little use I've had of my SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom it seems to be a good lens. Better at 28mm than my A Series 28mm f/2.8. Not really compared it at other focal lengths.

What do other people think of this lens.

I don't think the button is usable on digital, mines intact, but haven't used it.

shim

shim

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 09:03
shim wrote:
From what little use I've had of my SMC FA 28-80 Power Zoom it seems to be a good lens. Better at 28mm than my A Series 28mm f/2.8. Not really compared it at other focal lengths.

What do other people think of this lens.

I don't think the button is usable on digital, mines intact, but haven't used it.

shim

I also compared this at f/8 28mm against the Mk 1 18-55mm kit lens.
Centre about the same : Edge and corner Kit lens was worse

The colour of the Kit lens was slightly better.

I also looked at an M Series 28mm f/2.8 but the colour was very poor and the sharpness wasn't anything special, so didn't bother testing any further.

I'll have to see how it rates against some 50mm's

shim
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.