Hi everyone. I'm lusting for a K100D super!

zealousdp

Link Posted 17/03/2010 - 01:57
Once again...WOW, you guys are AWESOME. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Little skink, thanks for all the info.

But wait...I have great news...I'VE BOUGHT "THE ONE"!!!! Now I just need a bag to go with it - wink wink if you have one spare, like Fastpack, or Slingshot let me know please. I'll post another thread anyhow.

Danzaman on this forum has one for a great price, but after speaking with the missus, I was "encouraged" to enquire about the one at LCE - complete boxed with 18-55 kit lens for 209. Shutter count is under 350 and I couldn't believe it when they said it comes with a 6 month warranty on the body AND lens (because they were sold as a kit, they said). I must say that Danzaman is THE MAN, check him out if you're looking for the same kit. Respect to him, he's a great guy.

I'll let you all know how it once I have my hands on it.

YYYYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/03/2010 - 08:59
Look forward to seeing it on Friday - and we can introduce you to the concept of lens buyer's addiction!

Cheers,

Jon

zealousdp

Link Posted 17/03/2010 - 21:13
Camera arrived and it's GREAT!. Will be out tomorrow taking some shots and sharing with you all. Can't wait for Friday, Jon! I've got the addiction already - am spending hours looking at lens on Ebay. Do you know any cheap places locally?

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 17/03/2010 - 21:24
Glad your pleased with it. It'll soon feel like an extension of your being! Don't despise the standard lens either, stop it down a bit and it'll serve you nicely.

Try to get something like a 28mm mf lens in decent condition and, well...best you try it and see what you get.

Looking forward to your first pictures.

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

JonSchick

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 08:04
Hi - keep looking at the classifieds on this forum and good deals often come up. Or alternatively place a wanted ad if you know what you are looking for and see if anyone is interested.

On Friday I will bring with me my "poor man's LBA" kit, including:

Tamron Adaptall 2 24/2.5 (80 brand new from KEH outlet last month)
Pentax 28mm SMCA (35 from Ivor Howell in West Norwood)
Pentax 50mm SMCM (30 from this forum)
Pentax 135 SMCM (49 from LCE)
Tamron Adaptall 2 90/2.5 (70 from Fleabay)

For cheap lenses, I would look at the websites of LCEgroup, SRS Microsystems and Ffordes - all of whom offer good mail order service.

LCE on the Strand (near Savoy Hotel) sometimes have some good secondhand stuff but prices can be all over the place. Don't be afraid to bargain if you know that they are pushing their luck! Nice shop with nice staff.

Ivor Howell in Blackheath and Norwood occasionally have Pentax stuff but I would phone first to see what they have - prices generally good.

Nicholas Camera in Camden will have a lot of stuff but is a weird place to say the least, can be somewhat unfriendly, and with prices that need to be haggled.

Mr Cad in Croydon has a good stock of standard Pentax lenses (eg 28/35/50/200/some older zooms) and 2 or 3 times a year tend to have half price sales, which is the best time to pounce. It's a huge shop worth visiting.

Some food for thought?

zealousdp

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 19:28
Thanks for the lens heads-up. Will check LCE tomorrow before the meet.

28mm sounds interesting - i nearly landed a Pentax 50mm 1.4 yesterday for 20 incl shipping and a "free" SLR body,but I got busy doing other things and the listing ended right in front of my face. DOH!

However, after experimenting with the kit lens last night it dawned on me that 55mm is kindof what my natural eye sees (size wise in the viewfinder). Up til now I've had a superzoom cam but never knew the focal length at any given time, but just composed by what I liked. Not having much "zoom" on the kit lens I went on thatbay a bought an 80-200mm no name for a tenner - guy tested it on his K10 and said images came out very good. I'm confident it'll be a great addition to the arsenary. Now I'll have the same range I've been used to, but now can get AWESOME macro shots with great IQ.

I'm still looking forward to getting a couple of primes, though, maybe 100 or 135mm, and a 50 or 55mm and now a 28mm to fill my tantilised curiosity after reading Andrew's post.

OMG...am I turning into an addict, Jon?!?!?!

TOZZA27

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 19:41
First signs my friend .....................too late now !!
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

JonSchick

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 21:23
Hold off until tomorrow and you can see what the standard issue kit of cheap Pentax manual primes is like.

With friends like me, you'll be a full-blown addict before you know!

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 21:30
I fear there is little hope for you.

How long has it taken? Less than a week?

Sad, very sad. But better than spending it on drink!

Regards,

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

StephenLewis

Link Posted 18/03/2010 - 23:28
I am so happy to see you are excited, but please remember...you will now have to carry all these lovely things around with you. CONSTANTLY!!!

Cheers,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

zealousdp

Link Posted 20/03/2010 - 04:23
Damn! I can't believe I missed out on the meet. So I bought another lens on, yep, you guessed it, the B A Y!

Am comparing a few zoom lenses in the range I quite like as a walkabout (80-200 give or take a few either side). I tested the first one today and have posted the resulting Alvin the Chipmunk in the gallery - just a fun one; I didn't get to venture out during daylight (or nightlight for that matter). So, if anyone knows of any tack sharp, dirt cheap, please give a heads up. Thank you.

I've also started making my first camera bag - something small that will hold the zoom attached, like this one from Lowepro (http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Topload-Zoom-AW-Black/dp/B00009R8B9) so that it can fit in a regular backpack and be safe.

Hope you all have a great weekend of whatever you get up to. Oh, that's it, MAKING PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

mikew

Link Posted 20/03/2010 - 07:48
You don't seem to have any wide angle lenses? For excitement that's the way to go - get the widest you can, sub 20 if possible and see where it takes you. The Pentax 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 are good but hardly cheap lenses.

You already have a huge zoom otherwise I'd offer my Vivitar 10-200 which I bought out of interest and then found while a good lens it isn't something I'd ever really use.

But go wide sir!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

i-Berg

Link Posted 20/03/2010 - 07:50

StephenLewis

Link Posted 20/03/2010 - 09:59
David, good job with 'Alvin'. Lovely crisp and clear and appears you have DOF working well also. I'm interested to see what mischief you can get up to this weekend. What kind of stuff you getting from the 18-55?

Have a good one,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

zealousdp

Link Posted 20/03/2010 - 10:34
Thanks for the comments one and all.

Mike, I'll HAVE to get that wide lens now as you're the second person who has suggested it. I had a look at your Flickr page and they are lovely shots. I can't see any tags for the type/name of the lens you've used. It would be great to see which of you pics were taken with a wide lens. Also, thanks for the indo on your Vivitar 10-200. I can't seem to find it on Google. If you have it and that is the range, please let me a price you had in mind cause then I'll have the best of all worlds range wise until I can get various primes for all ranges and pass the long zooms on.

Hi Stephen. Thanks for the comment. Haven't done much with the kit lens, main reason being my Hybrio batteries died after 40 shots (and playing with the menus, etc, etc). I was in shock! However, the next morning I switched on again and juice was back?!??! Took another 40, then other lens arrived and shot count is now 400+ and battery meter says full. Strange, but fanatastic! Is it the motor that throws the voltage out?

Its raining right now so stuck indoors. Again. But only for now. Will post my "findings" on the gallery once the fun begins.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.