Hi and bit of advice

Pergamon

Link Posted 12/10/2015 - 12:11
I've been shooting with a K5 for about 4 yrs. recently bought a K3 as I really liked the reviews and wanted a newer camera.

I'm going to Reykjavik at the end of November. Hopefully I'll see the northern lights, I'm going to get one chance to photograph the lights, I'll be using my new K3 with the K5 as backup. I'll be using a sigma 17-50 mm f2.8 a sigma ultra wide and a Pentax 50mm. F1.8. Any advice on the actual taking the shot and on protecting my cameras. What could be extreme temperatures is making me really nervous and the thought of shiny new K3 getting damaged as a result.....too much to bear.

johnriley

Link Posted 12/10/2015 - 13:37
I know the feeling of having something glistening and new, but in the end there's no point buying something that we're afraid to use. So I would bite the bullet and take the camera out come what may. Don't forget insurance though!
Best regards, John

doingthebobs

Link Posted 12/10/2015 - 18:18
Just looked up and the temperatures vary between +9 & -7 in November. Shouldn't cause any problems for a Pentax!

I've had both my K5 and K10 out all day in Scotland in temperatures like those and not had any problems. I usually carry the camera in a CCS holster and take it out to shoot. This offers some physical protection.
Lithium batteries are much better at dealing with the cold but it can be worth having a spare in your pocket.

As John says, if you don't take the camera you won't get the picture!
Bob

Stuey

Link Posted 12/10/2015 - 22:49
Hello and welcome

My k5 and k10 have worked in temperatures between -5 and -10 or so - I say or so as it was -8 at car park level but we climbed a fair bit from there

I also accidentally walked across a snow covered ditch which looked flat due to the wind blown snow ending up with snow up to my waste with a camera over each shoulder both were a bit snow covered but fine and they seemed much better than my dangly bits after the experience

Regards

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/10/2015 - 13:48
My K5 worked quite happily at -20C in northern Norway, on a dog sled, in a snow storm. It also was quite happy at similar temperatures on board ship photographing the northern lights.
Make sure you have spare batteries with you, in a warm place, as the cold depletes them fast. Also take care taking your cold camera back into a warm place.

Pergamon

Link Posted 13/10/2015 - 14:05
Guys thank you. I know Pentax build 'em like tanks, really looking forward to it. Just hope someone puts 50p in the meter and flips the switch.....

RobL

Link Posted 13/10/2015 - 14:30
Gwyn wrote:
My K5 worked quite happily at -20C in northern Norway, on a dog sled, in a snow storm. It also was quite happy at similar temperatures on board ship photographing the northern lights.

I can tell you that's better than a Voigtlander 35mm which froze up for the winter in Norway!
Last Edited by RobL on 13/10/2015 - 14:31

Spider-Man

Link Posted 13/10/2015 - 21:11
I'd also be tempted to take a tripod as you'll need a reasonably long exposure to capture the north lights in all their glory.
It's not the strongest species that survive, nor is it the most intelligent. It is those most adaptable to change.

Gwyn

Link Posted 13/10/2015 - 22:06
Make sure the tripod has at least one leg warmer too.

I hope you get lucky. I look forward to seeing your photos of Iceland and the aurora.

Pergamon

Link Posted 15/10/2015 - 13:38
Guys thank you. I'm just impatient now to go!!!! Fingers crossed.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.