Help with Ultra Achromatic Takumar 300mm f5.6

bugsy

Link Posted 26/02/2011 - 13:00
Hi everybody! I have just joined and have been referred to this site. I need your help regarding an Ultra Achromatic Takumar 300mm f5.6 that has been given to me by a friend. It needs cleaning and repair. There appears to be fungus on the elements which my friend tried cleaning but he did not manage to totally disassemble the lens. He only removed the three screws in the focus ring then gave up. It is either he cannot removed the other screws or he did not know what to do next. Now the focus ring just spins without the lens actually focusing. Everything else look ok. Can you please recommend a good repairer in the UK? I have been told that this is an extremely rare lens and is worth to get it repaired. Any idea about its value? Any information/suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gartmore

Link Posted 26/02/2011 - 13:06
It is rare indeed, Harrow Technical and Asahi Photo are well thought of repairers
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Helpful

bugsy

Link Posted 01/03/2011 - 18:23
Thanks for your help, Ken. Sent the lens to Harrow Technical. I just hope they can clean and fix the lens.

thoughton

Link Posted 04/03/2011 - 13:46
Rolly, as far as value goes you may be interested in this which popped up on ebay today

link
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 04/03/2011 - 13:46

Helpful

bugsy

Link Posted 04/03/2011 - 16:40
Thanks for the link, Tim. Wow! If that goes at that price in that condition... Mine looks way better than that, I just hope Harrow Technical will be able to clean and fix it.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/03/2011 - 16:50
I would imagine that the three screws he removed simply fix the focus ring (with the distance markings) to the part of the lens which actually moves in and out on the helicoil thread to focus. Providing they didn't get lost it shouldn't be hard to sort out.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

bugsy

Link Posted 04/03/2011 - 17:13
Two of the screws were lost. I'm more concerned about the fungus on the elements. Front glass is very good with coating intact but the others appear to be affected. Hopefully they can disassemble the lens and clean the elements without damaging them.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/03/2011 - 19:51
From what I understand it depends on the type of fungus. I've cleaned a few lenses up without any permanent damage so the chances are good.

I love these huge ancient lenses, have a K 85-210mm f4.5 which isn't especially common, especially mint in original case with original hood. Unfortunately it has a blob of fungus inside which I should probably look into having cleaned.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.