Hello everyone on Pentax User from From my hometown Limerick city on the river Shannon

Flan

Link Posted 30/11/2020 - 20:42

JohnX

Link Posted 30/11/2020 - 21:13
Welcome. Great photo. Look forward to seeing more in the future.

Helpful

pschlute

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 00:39
Welcome. Nice introduction photo too.
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

Flan

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 19:02
Thank you John x and thank you pschlute. Just one question if I may . Do I need to downsize the photo file size on this forum if I post a photograph ? Will a reduction to 1000mp X 700mp show a good clear image on the forum ( providing I have a good clear image to begin with 😀 or is their a better way ? Thanks again for the welcome.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 20:35
I hope you mean pixels! I usually size forum pictures to 1000px on the longest side. This helps to speed up loading and seems fine. To be honest, the image you uploaded looks fine, so whatever you did will be fine as well.
Best regards, John

Helpful

Flan

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 21:08
thanks for the reply john, i was just searching the forum for info and it seems a lot of posters use 800 on the longest side . oh and yes i meant pixels ( Doh )

pschlute

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 21:23
Hi Flan.

I am going to hijack your introductory post and yet again make the point that the image size restrictions on this site are hopeless.

John knows my views as I have made them for a number of years. if you view images on a dedicated desk-top screen rather than a tablet or phone, 1000 pixels wide is hopeless. Your image posted takes up less than a third of the width of my screen. I can see no detail in it.

You will do better to post the image as a link to an external hosting site like Flickr. Then those who do wish to view the image at a sensible size can do so.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 01/12/2020 - 21:39

Helpful

Flan

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 22:02
Thanks pschlute for the info, and feel free to hijack as I'm just looking for proper guidance .I felt the same myself when i downsize a image file , it just loses to much detail when viewed on my desk top which i am using as we speak. I think your suggestion might be the best way to go. Will Flicker free account 1000 images max allow external hosting ?

pschlute

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 23:26
Flan wrote:
Will Flicker free account 1000 images max allow external hosting ?

Yes it will.

When re-sizing an image for web publication you want to produce a size that is going to be right for most people and importantly for those who use hi res screens. A number of years ago 800 pixels on the long side would have been suitable. Today that is not the case, anyone viewing on a hi res screen sees a 800pixel image as little more than a thumbnail.

I produce images 2158*1440 as that is the tall resolution of my screen and will account for most folk using a hi-res monitor. Although with the advent of 4k screens that may well be changing again.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 01/12/2020 - 23:27

Helpful

Flan

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 23:41
hi pschlute, without sounding naive would that image you produce at 2158 x1440 be the size you would have in your hosting site link for others to view and you would upload that size to the host after editing an so on
Last Edited by Flan on 01/12/2020 - 23:44

pschlute

Link Posted 01/12/2020 - 23:51
Flan wrote:
hi pschlute, without sounding naive would that image you produce at 2158 x1440 be the size you would have in your hosting site link for others to view and you would upload that size to the host after editing an so on

Yes , correct. I upload a 2158*1440 image to Flickr. Anyone viewing can see that image.Here is an example........ click on it for full size.

IMGP0583B by Peter Schluter, on Flickr
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 01/12/2020 - 23:51

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 02/12/2020 - 00:08
There's no doubt that works, the only downside being that the poster needs to maintain the image at that location. Older forum posts tend to be full of gaps where images used to be. There are lots of examples of this from the days when we used to enter competitions in the forum, rather than the gallery we use now.
Best regards, John

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 02/12/2020 - 00:23
Getting back to the very beginning ! That's a nice opening photo and I, for one, look forward to seeing some more. Welcome to PentaxUser.

I generally size mine to 1940 x 1092px because that fills my entire monitor screen and it also fills a mobile phone screen - where many people seem to view photos.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

Flan

Link Posted 02/12/2020 - 07:44
Thanks you pschlute for taking the time to explain clearly. I know this type of question has been done to death from other searches i have performed. I now understand the a lot more of the limits on forums to reproduce and the ways in which to overcome it .Thanks again to all who helped and hello davidwozere thanks.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 17/02/2021 - 23:02
Hey Flan,
Missed this first time around. Welcome aboard

Look forward to seeing images taken from your home town. My step father came from there but was adopted at birth due to how it was back then with certain things if you get what I mean.

For linking images from Flickr to here I just upload the full res image there as Flickr is great as a way or storing images, and just click share and then choose to display a 1024px image from the options size in the BB code I think it is
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - K3ii - two Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Sigma EX 20mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Flickr
Instagram

My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.