HD PENTAX DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter

Darkmunk

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 15:23
That last comparison looked very convincing.
Think I'll give this a shot at some point. No rush.
I'd like to see a moon shot taken with this thing, the DA*300 and a K5iis then I can make a direct comparison
Then the same but with a K3 so I can decide if I'm missing out there too! lol
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 15:43
Mine should be arriving today. If there's a clear sky tonight I'l give it a try with the 60-250. Not the 300 but it's the best I can do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

LennyBloke

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 15:54
I'm getting quite envious of you lucky recipients!

If some has the DA100WR Macro and the F*300 (and the new 1.4x) I'd love to know how it performs with them - It might be helpful if you told me they didn't work properly so I wouldn't have to buy it
LennyBloke

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 16:03
I have the DA100WR macro lens. I'll have a play and let you know once my TC arrives.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 16:05
I've never considered using the TC with the macro lens. How would you like me to test it? In macro or just as a 100mm general lens?
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

fnf

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 19:55
Well the TC arrived from SRS and took it out for a quick spin along the lane today.

Its focus lock on seems much more positive then the tamron I had before but this could be also down to the firmware upgrade recently, but it works. The build and fit is better then the tamron also.
There does not seem to be any degrading of image quality at all.

So, here are some examples of takings today, NO comparison shots, NO walls or such like, take the exif data from the photo, all on TAV and kept to c1/1000 sec camera does the rest.

enjoy

martyn

visit www.farnorthfocus.co.uk

[link=http://www.farnorthfocus.co.uk

LennyBloke

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 19:57
Hi Ralph - a bit of both please

I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably never own the FA*200 macro so i'm thinking that a 140mm f4 might be the next best thing!

Thanks in advance
LennyBloke

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 20:48
Apologies to Darkmunk but all my efforts at a moonshot have just resulted in a blurred moon shaped lump.

I'll try some macro shots tomorrow.

A quick comparison shot at 250mm snatched earlier:

Without:

With:

Not brilliant, it can't help you with IQ, but it will give you an idea of the magnification factor.

By the way I can't tell any difference in the AF speed with or without.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 21:03
RalphHardwick wrote:
Apologies to Darkmunk but all my efforts at a moonshot have just resulted in a blurred moon shaped lump.

I'll try some macro shots tomorrow.

A quick comparison shot at 250mm snatched earlier:

Without:

With:

Not brilliant, it can't help you with IQ, but it will give you an idea of the magnification factor.

By the way I can't tell any difference in the AF speed with or without.

The shot with the teleconverter certainly looks softer, but I don't know what the other conditions were.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Algernon

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 21:07
Looks like a bit of camera shake on the 2nd shot
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 22:20
Algernon wrote:
Looks like a bit of camera shake on the 2nd shot

Can't see it myself, but if you say so......
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

Darkmunk

Link Posted 12/03/2014 - 22:48
Quote:
...blurred moon shaped lump.

He he, thanks anyway
I look forward to the other shots.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 07:29
This was a previous attempt (cropped and PP'd of course) but last night I just couldn't seem to get it in focus (manual).

CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 07:43
Having checked my previous two images, please ignore them

Jonathan-Mac and Algi are correct in that the second image is softer. I took this standing in a draft passage between my house and garage, handheld, in a hurry without really setting anything up.

The exif data is telling me: Exposure program 4, f27, 0.3 second for both shots. One at 250mm and the other at 350mm. 0.3 of a second, handheld at 350mm, in a windy passage is hardly a fair test.

It's a nice day and I am at home this morning so I shall get the tripod out and do some genuine, controlled, side by side shots. We have sone nice daffs and crocuses (croci) in the garden so I will have the chance to get those macro shots LennyBloke wanted.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
Last Edited by RalphHardwick on 13/03/2014 - 07:44

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 13/03/2014 - 10:29
A couple of macro shots with the DA100WR macro:

Without TC:

With TC:

Straight from camera with no PP just exported from DNG to jpg using LR4. K511s Mounted on tripod, used AF, 2 second timer, ISO 80, AV mode, f32 just using available light.

I took a sequence at f5.6, 8, 16, 22 &32 both with and without. You should be able to view and download the full size images here: link

I shall try some more comparisons later, right now I need to get on with some work (unfortunately )
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
Last Edited by RalphHardwick on 13/03/2014 - 10:32
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.