Hartblei,..at last a use for pentax lenses

viewfinder

Link Posted 09/12/2009 - 17:51
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/hartblei-cam.shtml

Note adaptors for pentax 645, 67 and 35mm lenses so, at last they can be used for high quality digital imaging.

.....Yet again a camera that pentax 'might' have come up with...

hefty1

Link Posted 09/12/2009 - 18:05
Yes, Pentax really took their eye off the prize there.

Imagine if only they'd come up with the idea of a camera that costs 5,000 Euros (without lens, back or viewfinder), has no AF or continuous shooting and can only be used on a tripod. People would have been queueing around the block to get their hands on one!

Let's face it, once you're into the realms of spending that much money on a camera you might as well buy a Leica S2 or a Hassy (or the upcoming 645D which should be a match for either).
Joining the Q

gartmore

Link Posted 09/12/2009 - 18:17
Oh, that one again...

link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

viewfinder

Link Posted 09/12/2009 - 18:18
Well no, The pentax 645 is just an upgrade of the previous roll film camera and has a fixed sensor of only 30 meg pixels,..as I understand it(?) This camera is adaptable for all digital backs including the current 69meg modles and also for all main lens choices. Aslo offers use of movements and extreme wide angle facility...

....so no, completely different animal really,..a system rather than an upscaled black plastic blob that is already well out of date....

hefty1

Link Posted 10/12/2009 - 00:20
Well nobody's forcing you to buy a 645D, if you like the Hartblei then buy one - I'm sure it'll be an excellent camera for those who need something like that and I'm also sure Hartblei would be grateful of your support.

I just don't get why you think Pentax should build something like that though? There's a lot of R&D budget gone into something that would make a negligible (if not negative) return to Hoya's coffers. If Pentax is to survive as a brand then it needs to make populist products and with as low overheads as possible - as long as the quality doesn't slide and they keep bringing in innovations now & again then I'm happy to believe Hoya knows best.
Joining the Q

viewfinder

Link Posted 10/12/2009 - 10:19
I would certainly like to see pentax using innovation and good design to explore other areas of the market like this rather than to go on making these 'me to' items, which are generally late to market and increasingly pricey.

This particular item is a ground breaking one in a small but vitally important market. It shows genuine innovation and product conception by essentially a tiny company. This is the kind of thing that pentax could do well and gain great stature from.

as things stand, pentax is about to re-enter the MF world late with a re-vamp of their already aged film camera. This is already out of date compared to other developments in digital MF and has very little to separate it from the better systems,...only availablility of 645 lenses and presumably cheapness!...not great incentives to buy such an item.

...Yet again we see a 'me too' product with no innovation late to market.

johnriley

Link Posted 10/12/2009 - 10:32
Actually we haven't seen it yet, so it's a bit early to be so dismissive.
Best regards, John

viewfinder

Link Posted 10/12/2009 - 11:18
Your're right as always John,..we have NOT seen it and we are not likely to for a very long time! They are only going to make 200 for the jap market initially...

.......so that part of this (about the 645D)is purely academic. So instead of 'shall we shant we' they could get on with some product innovation....
Last Edited by viewfinder on 10/12/2009 - 11:19

gartmore

Link Posted 10/12/2009 - 13:00
The instruction book for the 645d has already been printed and an unauthorised copy was on the internet, Pentax are hardly likely to go to the printers if the camera isn't ready to launch.

Anyway once you've bought your Hartblei, a Leaf back and some lenses we'll enjoy hearing your experiences with it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 10/12/2009 - 13:00

arto

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 12:49
viewfinder wrote:
... only availablility of 645 lenses and presumably cheapness!...not great incentives to buy such an item.

Bit late here, but ... they sound like pretty good incentives to me.
www.siskinpress.co.uk

K10D

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 13:44
viewfinder wrote:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/hartblei-cam.shtml

Note adaptors for pentax 645, 67 and 35mm lenses so, at last they can be used for high quality digital imaging.

.....Yet again a camera that pentax 'might' have come up with...

It was probably the "Yet again" line that has prompted the responces you have received.

If, as and when Pentax release the 645D, the market will respond. How, remains to be seen.

I fail to see how some here would be buying into digital medium format if Pentax release the camera when they can do it now, although with a different brand.

If some one wants to do DMF and won't unless it's a Pentax, then there will be a lot of noseless faces to be seen.

Is a reality check due?

Regards
Плутон идет

johnriley

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 14:32
There are a couple of reasons for waiting for the Pentax 645D.

The lenses are plentiful, affordable and excellent. The operating logic and ergonomics are the same as Pentax 35mm and DSLR cameras, so no confusion over operating style. For those with existing 645 or 67 kit they will have existing compatible lenses and/or accessories. The Pentax 645 concept is less modular than other marques, so all the add-on items such as Pentaprism finder and auto exposure are already added in.

There is logic to waiting and sticking with the same marque for 35mm, DSLR and medium format options.
Best regards, John

hefty1

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 16:02
K10D wrote:
I fail to see how some here would be buying into digital medium format if Pentax release the camera when they can do it now, although with a different brand.

I don't think it has very much at all to do with brand loyalty (and as a user of Pentax, Zeiss, Leica, Voigtlander, Rollei, Ricoh, Contax, Mamiya, Minolta, Praktica, Olympus and Zenit cameras I certainly don't have any to speak of) but has everything to do with economics.

I'd love to do DMF but currently the cheapest way in still requires an outlay of £12k+ at a bare minimum. Not being a professional there's no way I could justify such spending, hence I shoot 120 film instead (not on a Pentax though).

Now if Pentax were to make a basic DMF kit available for £6k (which is where rumours would have us believe the 645D is pitched) then the whole justification process becomes much easier. Still not easy, but easier...

Frankly I couldn't care less which manufacturer brings a "budget" DMF camera to market first - I'd have had the same interest if it'd been Seagull, Casio or Fisher Price; the fact that it happens to be Pentax who are going to be first is just a nice added bonus.
Joining the Q

K10D

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 16:11
Economics accepted. As for 6K for a kit, depending on what constitutes a kit?

Regards
Плутон идет

johnriley

Link Posted 14/01/2010 - 16:15
In terms of the Pentax 645, kit usually means camera body, lens and film insert. Obviously we don't need a film insert for the 645D!
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.