Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

GX 20 problem

barryo70
Posted 20/02/2012 - 21:59 Link
I took a few pictures tonight on my GX20 and noticed a thin black line running from left to right halfway up the image. Is this a faulty sensor? Has anyone else experienced this. I've half a mind to send it back to Samsung as I would expect a camera to last more than 2.5 years with only about 7000 clicks.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

barry
fed up waiting for a FF
greynolds999
Posted 20/02/2012 - 22:17 Link
Is this on the LCD or on the computer?

If it's on the computer, have you recently changed software. Was the camera cold, on low battery or had it been lying unused for a while?

You need to check all these before assuming there is an issue.
Mike-P
Posted 20/02/2012 - 22:17 Link
If I remember correctly I have seen this fault a few times on the forum with the K20D (although the line went top to bottom) and it turned out to be sensor failure.
George Lazarette
Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:36 Link
I had strange lines appearing on my K10D pics. Eventually it turned out to be the graphics card.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
barryo70
Posted 21/02/2012 - 21:10 Link
Hi

I will try a different graphics card but the line is visible on the screen and then on the file when it appears on the computer. I have a horrible feeling it's the sensor and I think a battle of wills with samsung beckons.

cheers though for the input

b
fed up waiting for a FF
barryo70
Posted 21/02/2012 - 21:16 Link
camera was unused for months as i bought the k5. funnily enough it was fine let week when i dug it out again. will let you know

cheers
fed up waiting for a FF
Mike-P
Posted 21/02/2012 - 21:23 Link
Algernon
Posted 22/02/2012 - 09:38 Link
I don't think Samsung repair GX20's any more
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
greynolds999
Posted 22/02/2012 - 12:24 Link
You may find that the cost of repair is more than the camera is worth.

Whilst goods are meant to last a 'reasonable' length of time I doubt you would have much luck with this. I think it would be deemed that 2½ years is reasonable. But an email to Samsung my be worthwhile (although if my recent experience is much to go by, I wouldn't bother).

If you could prove they knew about the issue before it was sold then you might have a case.

Of course there are things you could try first - leave it in a consistently warm, dry place, reflash the firmware, take the battery out and leave it for a couple of weeks. (But if anyone advises you to put it in the freezer, please don't - it's an urban myth and lots of electronics are ruined that way!)

My advice would be to put it on eBay (honestly described) and see what happens. Somebody will buy it and try to fix it.
Algernon
Posted 22/02/2012 - 12:28 Link
Put an unmodified RAW and JPG on a site somewhere
and let other people see if they see the lines. That
would confirm that it's in the camera.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.