Guidance on HDR setup on k10d

foxycce

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 10:55
hello there hope all is well just started playing with the camera could some 1 guide me in steps how to set the camera up for HDR photograophy,getting confused with the braceting etc,if you could start fromn the first step,i.e,menu setup dial setup etc would appriciate it thanks

RaV

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 11:26
Have you read through the manual yet? Ive just had a look and it describes it quite well. or you can download a pdf version from here: link

On the K10/K20 you dont have to use any menus, the bracketing button is above the menu button. While holding it down the front dial changes the number of photos to take(off, 3, 5) the back dial changes the exposure differences (0.5 to 2) Then just take your 3 or 5 photos.
~Conal

Pentax K20D | 18-55mm II | 50-200mm | SMC A 50mm f2 |
DeviantArt | My Flickr |

johnriley

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 11:26
The easy way is to set the camera on a tripod, set the aperture required in Av or manual (the aperture should stay contant for each exposure) and use the exposure compensation make several exposures at different levels.

5 exposures might do, but I usually go for 7 spaced half a stop apart. I then make the HDR image using Photomatix.

I think HDR is already starting to fade away as a technique. It gives very dramatic images with the right sort of subject, but it is pretty obvious and very often way overdone.
Best regards, John

MattMatic

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 12:12
My personal method is: 5 exposures, 2Ev apart (with the auto-bracket option), using Av mode.

I shoot RAW and ensure that all 5 exposures are processed to TIFF using exactly the same settings and then blended in Artizen.

I have it all saved under the "User" menu so I can recall and use immediately

The only small downside of the K10D and HDR is you have to press the shutter for each of the shots. The K20D added a custom feature that would take all shots with one shutter release.

Works for me
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Anvh

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 13:23
Here is a good site to start with link
I myself simply use Photoshop since that can open the DNG file and make a HDR from that so no need to convert to TIFF then.

The problem is that you need to be conservertive with DHR, you really go to fast over the top with it.
You need to find a balance to use it at it's fullest, and use it for a meaning, a purpose. Just making a hdr because you think is fun doesn't work so well.

for the camera setting I use the same as Matt, with raw you have lean in information to have 2Ev without loosing much if not any information.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Oggy

Link Posted 16/03/2009 - 22:19
The April edition of Digital Photo has an article and a software review on HDR

rbubbly

Link Posted 17/03/2009 - 16:26
There is a Photoshop plugin that does a very good job of HDR

From
Topaz Labs LLC
link

The plugin is called "Topaz Vivacity v1.3
Rbubbly
K20D, *istDL, MZ5, MX and MV
Leuven Belgium

jackitec

Link Posted 17/03/2009 - 16:35
I did this one in camera link

MattMatic

Link Posted 17/03/2009 - 17:23
Rbubbly, I think you meant "Topaz Adjust" -
http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/
This is tonemapping... which is separate from HDR assimilation
...but it looks an interesting plugin though
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 17/03/2009 - 17:29

foxycce

Link Posted 17/03/2009 - 22:21
thanks for the info will have a play me thinks

rbubbly

Link Posted 18/03/2009 - 16:08
I stand corrected on the Topaz.
You are correct it should be Topaz Adjust
Rbubbly
K20D, *istDL, MZ5, MX and MV
Leuven Belgium

paullucas

Link Posted 18/03/2009 - 22:39
johnriley wrote:
I think HDR is already starting to fade away as a technique. It gives very dramatic images with the right sort of subject, but it is pretty obvious and very often way overdone.

Not sure if I totally agree with that, although, yes some people do really go OTT with it.
If it's done properly the results are outstanding.

Paul

foxycce

Link Posted 19/03/2009 - 21:20
is there any way to set the camera to take the 5 shots but at different exposure levels or must a take 1 shot then manualy chane exposure and taxe second shot etc

Anvh

Link Posted 19/03/2009 - 21:36
You have a bracket button on the back of the camera, left of the view finder. It looks like 3 screens, intwine in each other (more or less).

If you press that button and you see the top LCD changes, with the front scroll wheel you set the numbers of shot (3 or 5) and with the back the ev spacing between each shot.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

RaV

Link Posted 20/03/2009 - 16:59
RaV wrote:
Have you read through the manual yet? Ive just had a look and it describes it quite well. or you can download a pdf version from here: link

On the K10/K20 you dont have to use any menus, the bracketing button is above the menu button. While holding it down the front dial changes the number of photos to take(off, 3, 5) the back dial changes the exposure differences (0.5 to 2) Then just take your 3 or 5 photos.

~Conal

Pentax K20D | 18-55mm II | 50-200mm | SMC A 50mm f2 |
DeviantArt | My Flickr |
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.