Guess the lens used...

pschlute

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 15:08
I want to know what John is going to put in his "warehouse" when all his lenses are sold
Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 15:17
pschlute wrote:
I want to know what John is going to put in his "warehouse" when all his lenses are sold

I'm only selling the lenses so I can get to the Concorde that is parked behind them

I'm just debating whether to list my F Prime collection or my 85 collection next
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 01:39
How do you control the aperture on a flektogon? I've often been tempted but I only see the traditional m42 pin sticking out the back. There doesn't appear to be an A/M switch and they are not pre-set.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 08:04
davidwozhere wrote:
How do you control the aperture on a flektogon? I've often been tempted but I only see the traditional m42 pin sticking out the back. There doesn't appear to be an A/M switch and they are not pre-set.

There are various versions of the Flektogon - the later ones do have the A/M switch on, the Zebra 2.8 version has the manual metal protrusion on the side of the lens that allows you to view & compose at full aperture then depress the lens protrusion and press the green button to do your metering and take the shot.
LennyBloke

Benz3ne

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 12:23
LennyBloke wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:

There are various versions of the Flektogon - the later ones do have the A/M switch on, the Zebra 2.8 version has the manual metal protrusion on the side of the lens that allows you to view & compose at full aperture then depress the lens protrusion and press the green button to do your metering and take the shot.

Am I misunderstanding or do you need to hold the protrusion to take the picture stopped down?

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 14:03
Benz3ne wrote:
LennyBloke wrote:

Am I misunderstanding or do you need to hold the protrusion to take the picture stopped down?

With my Flek (which may be different to yours) - I focus and compose without depressing the protrusion, then press it to meter and take - I don't believe that the lens will stop down automatically when the shutter is pressed!
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 00:11
That is similar to a number of Meyer Optik offerings - especially for Exaktas. I think the designed purpose of the 'protrusion' is to act as a depth of field viewer because the metering and stop down is done by the camera when you release the shutter. They are meant to be wide open until that point so, without it, you can't check the DoF directly. The button is often on the right of the lens, so to hold it down AND press the shutter release involves some manual gymnastics!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 12/11/2019 - 00:14

jeallen01

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 18:40
I've got a really early (well pre-zebra) M42 f2.4 (yes, not f2.8!) Flektagon that focuses very close (fills the frame with a credit card on 35mm FF!) and was, IIRC, very sharp on film.

It also has a very small spring-loaded "protusion" to provide depth-of-field preview on the early M42 bodies that did not have a dedicated button for that function - unfortunately that makes it almost "impossible" to use on any K-mount body because, AFAIK, none of the M42-K adaptors have the facility to transmit the "push" from the body actuator to the stop-down pin on the rear of the lens!

OTOH, if anyone does know of an adapter that does have the "Push pin" facility then I'd be really pleased to know about it.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 12/11/2019 - 18:47

Benz3ne

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 19:11
jeallen01 wrote:
I've got a really early (well pre-zebra) M42 f2.4 (yes, not f2.8!) Flektagon that focuses very close (fills the frame with a credit card on 35mm FF!) and was, IIRC, very sharp on film.

It also has a very small spring-loaded "protusion" to provide depth-of-field preview on the early M42 bodies that did not have a dedicated button for that function - unfortunately that makes it almost "impossible" to use on any K-mount body because, AFAIK, none of the M42-K adaptors have the facility to transmit the "push" from the body actuator to the stop-down pin on the rear of the lens!

OTOH, if anyone does know of an adapter that does have the "Push pin" facility then I'd be really pleased to know about it.

If Iím not mistaken the 2.4 came after the 2.8... I could be massively incorrect here though.

There are k mount adapters for ones with pins but the brands fail me right now sorry!

jeallen01

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 19:40
Benz3ne wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:

If Iím not mistaken the 2.4 came after the 2.8... I could be massively incorrect here though.

There are k mount adapters for ones with pins but the brands fail me right now sorry!

As for the date of my lens, well, I bought it s/h from a shop on Tottenham Court Road around 1978 - I think that predates the zebra versions.

Edited: OTOH, according to this Pentax Forums lens review, you are actually correct in saying that the f2.8 version DID pre-date the f2.4 version

PS: keeping thinking about those adapters
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 12/11/2019 - 20:16
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.