Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Graduated Filters on the Pentax DFA 15-30

stub
Posted 24/06/2018 - 17:31 Link
Just thought I would enquire to the users of this lens. As it now has a domed front element. What system are you adopting to attach your graduated ND filters ?
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
pschlute
Posted 24/06/2018 - 18:06 Link
Lee filters 150 system with the 15-30 adapter
stub
Posted 24/06/2018 - 18:23 Link
Thanks for that Pete.

Only have 150 x 100 filters....

Stuart..
derek897
Posted 24/06/2018 - 18:28 Link
Nisi s5 filter system.
I know what i like, If not always why.
RobL
Posted 24/06/2018 - 20:56 Link
I am with Pete, the Lee Filters SW 150 system. Also use adapter for the system on other lenses. As the glass on these is through-coloured and the light has greater thickness to pass through you will notice vignetting at very wide angles with six stop and ten stop filters, and also the glass imparts a bluish colour. Funnily enough these aren’t mentioned by the pro users on YouTube.The issues can be rectified in Lightroom and not so noticeable with ND grads, and to counter these issues Lee have introduced a higher price range of stoppers which are surface coated and colour neutral. If you are looking at a filter system it would be worth finding how they are composed. I would finally add that if you keep the mounting ring permanently on the lens as Lee suggest it adds considerably to the space taken in the bag so for that reason I tend not to.
derek897
Posted 24/06/2018 - 23:43 Link
Just a quick question around the Lee system,
Have they come up with a cpl or is it still a square cpl, and how do you find it in real world situations. Is it a hindrance when using grads or does it just not crop up ?
DaveKitson
Posted 24/06/2018 - 23:50 Link
This works well.... link
stub
Posted 25/06/2018 - 00:28 Link
Thanks for the advice on Lee guys.. But I have already invested in Kase filters and stoppers. A glass filter system that has no vignetting or colour residue. I consider them far superior to the Lee system.. They have their own holder systems to fit our lenses, and as Im certainly not a full time landscaper.. To be honest I just didnt want to pay the extortionate price.

https://youtu.be/yBCeI07ImX8
Again this is for 150mm filters...

P.S. And you can drop Kase filters and they dont crack.. Yes they are glass... .Certainly useful if your as clumsy as me....!!

Stuart..
Edited by stub: 25/06/2018 - 00:38
stub
Posted 25/06/2018 - 00:32 Link
DaveKitson wrote:
This works well.... link

But how do you get it in your bag Dave....lol Very big rascal...

Stuart..
RobL
Posted 25/06/2018 - 06:59 Link
derek897 wrote:
Just a quick question around the Lee system,
Have they come up with a cpl or is it still a square cpl, and how do you find it in real world situations. Is it a hindrance when using grads or does it just not crop up ?

It’s a square polariser so with a grad you only have 90 degree rotation options, and fits in front.
DaveKitson
Posted 25/06/2018 - 07:30 Link
stub wrote:
DaveKitson wrote:
This works well.... link

But how do you get it in your bag Dave....lol Very big rascal...

Yes, the significant downside of FF is that I need a Sherpa ...and the wife is surprisingly unco-operative in this regard..

davek
derek897
Posted 25/06/2018 - 09:19 Link
With the nisi s5, it has 2 geared wheels which allows the cpl to be rotated without removing grads, all systems for this lens are huge. Its like cameras, in the sense that you are buying into a system.
RobL
Posted 25/06/2018 - 09:34 Link
TBH I am questioning the sanity of buying into the SW150 system, dictated by the 15-30mm lens, the kit and adaptors are all bulky whereas the SW100 system would fit on the other lenses and useable from 24mm upwards. I don’t often zoom out to 15mm in situations where filters are needed and my bag would have more space as a result.
derek897
Posted 25/06/2018 - 11:12 Link
Mmm I get what you're saying.
I don't know about the Lee system but the nisi has adapters so the 150mm can be used on regular lenses too so you only need 1 system.
But there's no getting away from the size of any of the 150mm filters.
RobL
Posted 25/06/2018 - 11:19 Link
derek897 wrote:
Mmm I get what you're saying.
I don't know about the Lee system but the nisi has adapters so the 150mm can be used on regular lenses too so you only need 1 system.
But there's no getting away from the size of any of the 150mm filters.

The Lee has adaptors too but they are quite deep collars which sleeve over the end of the lenses. I just looked at the Irix 15mm which has its own system, same size glass but just screws onto the front rather than a bulky fitting. I wonder if my Lee filters would fit?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.