Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

GPS for Pentax K5, Kr, 645D

Mannesty
Posted 02/06/2011 - 09:06 Link
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2011/201107.html

This seems to be a very clever device which hooks up to the camera's SR system to facilitate longer exposures for astrophotography without a very expensive tracking mount.

Should interest some of you I think.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 02/06/2011 - 09:07
giofi
Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:00 Link
Interesting also to record GPS information on photos, but....

The PENTAX O-GPS1 unit will ship in July 2011. It is available for pre-order now on www.pentaxwebstore.com for $249.95 USD
Gwyn
Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:27 Link
I assume it automatically writes the GPS co-ordinates to the image in camera? It is clear from the blurb whether it does that or not. Hopefully also for DNG/RAW images.

Meanwhile, at at that price , I'll stick to my little logger and tagging the photos at home via the computer.

The only celestial body I need to keep track of is my own .
MattMatic
Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:40 Link
FYI, the Nikon version (which is GPS-only) is £199.99 from SRS. So the Pentax one seems pretty reasonable to me!

Especially as it'll give you up to 5 minute tracking times using a plain tripod. How much do you reckon an astronomical tracking tripod will set you back??

Neat!

I'll be interested to see how it interfaces to the camera though...

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:54 Link
It's funny - there was a post on the Big American Camera Forum a few days ago asking if it was possible (via firmware) to use the sensor shift to take astro photos. Lots of the responses suggested that the sensor shift doesn't work this way and therefore it wasn't possible. Seems they were wrong

The device sounds quite interesting to me. Matt makes a good point that an astrological tracking tripod would be much more and then you would probably need to calculate the shift yourself (I would guess). This is cheap and portable in comparison. Still too pricey to buy on a whim but if you were interested in trying out astro photography this is a cheaper way to do it.

However, from what I've read astro photos are usually improved with multiple exposures but I would guess that this resets the position after each photo so you are limited to one long exposure.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Edited by WobblyGoblin: 02/06/2011 - 10:56
K10D
Posted 02/06/2011 - 10:56 Link
The Nikon unit is $190 from Adorama. The best function of the Pentax unit is the camera direction record. The GPS will probably plug in via the USB port or even via the hot shoe which rules out use of flash with GPS, (time to fit a grip for the extra battery to cope with the load).

One point, the Nikon unit is compatible with many bodies, not so the Pentax offering.

It's a move in the right direction though personally, I would not have requested a GPS from Pentax, spend the R&D money on AF improvements or a decent flash unit.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Anvh
Posted 02/06/2011 - 11:02 Link
K10D wrote:
The Nikon unit is $190 from Adorama. The best function of the Pentax unit is the camera direction record. The GPS will probably plug in via the USB port or even via the hot shoe which rules out use of flash with GPS, (time to fit a grip for the extra battery to cope with the load).

You're thinking about the Nikon one, Pentax GPS has his own battery

K10D wrote:
One point, the Nikon unit is compatible with many bodies, not so the Pentax offering.

But that one is a simple logger, the Pentax one seems a bit more sophisticated.
Quote:
When mounted on the PENTAX K-5 or K-r camera body, the O-GPS1 also offers the advanced ASTROTRACER function,** which couples the unit with the camera’s SR (Shake Reduction) system for the effortless tracing and photographing of celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors, then shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the objects.

I don't think the Nikon GPS can do that

I wonder if it might work as a simple logger with the older Pentax camera's though.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 02/06/2011 - 11:05
thoughton
Posted 02/06/2011 - 11:55 Link
Looks like a great little gizmo, and I would like GPS, and even the astro thing would occasionally be fun, but I'm not sure I want it so badly that I'd spend £250 quid on it (presuming the normal 1USD = 1GBP exchange rate holds true :roll.

I do however wonder how much stellar movement the sensor shift can compensate for. It can't be much can it? Perhaps with a long lens, but not for anything wide I would have thought?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
K10D
Posted 02/06/2011 - 12:15 Link
Anvh wrote:
You're thinking about the Nikon one, Pentax GPS has his own battery

But that one is a simple logger, the Pentax one seems a bit more sophisticated.

I wonder if it might work as a simple logger with the older Pentax camera's though.

I see that it has it's own battery now, didn't see the image of it before.

The Pentax is more sophisticated, again, pity they had not put the effort into better AF performance or flash system.

The best function is as I said, camera direction data.

Either way, they will sell a few.

Best regards.
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Anvh
Posted 02/06/2011 - 16:15 Link
K10D wrote:
The best function is as I said, camera direction data.

Either way, they will sell a few.

Indeed, i won't be buying one at least, never found GPS location that useful it's the photo that matters right not the location where it's shot after all.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Tyr
Posted 02/06/2011 - 17:38 Link
Simply, Wow!

what an amazing device for astrophotography.
ArsenAl
Posted 02/06/2011 - 19:33 Link
Quote:
When mounted on the PENTAX K-5 or K-r camera body, the O-GPS1 also offers the advanced ASTROTRACER function,** which couples the unit with the camera’s SR (Shake Reduction) system for the effortless tracing and photographing of celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors, then shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the objects.
WOW!!! One question-how much...???
PENTAX K-3, PENTAX K-30,PENTAX K-5, PENTAX K 20D,Pentax FA*250-600 5.6, Pentax DA*200 2.8, Pentax A 50 1.7, Pentax 10-17 3.5-4.5 Fish Eye, Pentax A 100 4 Macro, Pentax FA 77 1.8 Limited,Pentax DA*50-135 2.8,Pentax FA*400 5.6,Sigma 30 1.4,Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, Sigma 18-50 2.8 DC EX, Helios 40 1.5, Tair-3s 300 4.5, Mir-10A 3.528, Mir-20N 3.5/20, tc Sigma 2x EX DG, Flash Sigma EF-530 DG ST
Algernon
Posted 02/06/2011 - 20:06 Link
Seems as though it's been brought out for the Pentax telescopes.

I've a couple of Pocket PC's that record where you've been, what
speed etc and you can save the GPS co-ordinates.... make your own
maps etc. Used them about 5 times

I always intended to buy this link but never quite got round to it
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Pentaxophile
Posted 02/06/2011 - 21:35 Link
An extraordinary device, well done Pentax! Astrophotography's a bit 'niche' but this could make Pentax the go-to brand for astrophotography. Hopefully a lot of units will be sold, and a lot of astrophotography enthusiasts will upgrade to or buy a Kr/K5 because of this little device.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Don
Posted 02/06/2011 - 21:41 Link
if they can do that for astro photography, they could also come up with a device/firmware that allows studio shooters to stack multiple shots in camera with slight pixel shift of the sensor to multiply the resolution of the image file....

Pentax is bound to get some more serious landscape photographers attention with this.... as well....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.