Got broodie for an MX

Sean282

Link Posted 25/02/2013 - 21:13
After seeing DanielH's recent arrival, I spotted an MX for sale locally on gumtree advertised as being in good condition.

link

All appears (from my limited knowledge) to be in good order as far as I can tell. All shutter speeds work, winder ok, metering works. Just need to put a roll through it to see how it performs. At this stage I'm a very happy man. I've a friend at work who has developed his own B+W film so I'll pick his brains about it. I'm considering developing and scanning

Paid 25. Take it that's a decent price for the condition?

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 25/02/2013 - 21:33
That sounds like a very good price, I paid 45 for mine and considered it a bargain. The other things you'll want to check are the light seals around the door and the mirror bumper. If they've never been changed they will be very disintegrated.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Sean282

Link Posted 25/02/2013 - 22:27
Nuts

I thought I checked all the shutter speeds but now after playing with it this evening 9/10, the mirror doesn't come up on the faster shutter speeds (1/60th and above). Have been searching online and haven't seen anything specific about this fault. I'll keep looking.

Maybe I haven't got the latest firmware
Last Edited by Sean282 on 25/02/2013 - 22:41

Sean282

Link Posted 25/02/2013 - 23:37
OK...have noticed that the mirror comes up when I press the shutter button with a bit more of a 'snappy authority'...I'm assuming lubrication is the issue

Think I need to send off to harrow technical for a service. The camera hasn't been used in 20 years

Still happy with my purchase btw
Last Edited by Sean282 on 25/02/2013 - 23:38

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 26/02/2013 - 00:58
At the price you paid by sending it to Harrow for a clean up you're still quids in!

It's a lovely camera to use imo and the first one I go for (i have a half dozen film cameras) when I fancy a film day!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Sean282

Link Posted 26/02/2013 - 08:12
Yeah, that's what I'll be doing David

I did a read through on recent opinions on film camera preferences, which made this an easy decision

Also came with a genuine Pentax SA-1 Focusing Screen (looks like the SE is on the camera) as well as its leather case, so yes I think I've done pretty well.

Cheers

dangie

Link Posted 27/02/2013 - 10:18
Camera envy...... (I trust you mean the original MX and not the sacrilege Pentax have committed in giving its name away to a 'compact').

My biggest regret in photographic equipment was selling my MX when I went digital. I still have my Spotmatic which I caress from time to time but how I miss the MX. Surely one of the best (if not THE best) film cameras ever made. Oh for a 'proper' digital MX..!!
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.