Good European Cities for Photo's!

giofi

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:05
When are you planning to travel? If soon, then I would argue that most of the location you have in your list are risky from a weather point of view and in this period(except the last one). So unless you can choose to travel at a short notice (after checking the weather forecast), I would go South, Spain / Italy?

I would also vote for Venice (although Venice too can be too North in this period). How about Tuscany (Florence, Siena, etc), Rome, Barcelona....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

giofi

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:08
chrism_scotland wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm currently looking at Moscow in May/June I've also got a bundle of Intercontinental Hotel Points so I can stay in Moscow for free.

did not see your reply before posting my comment... so please disregard it as the weather comment is not relevant.

I would still suggest Venice or Tuscany as an alternative
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:09
You've just beaten me to it, I was going to suggest Rome, Venice and Florence; I've always wanted to visit Venice in Winter. Madrid is a wonderful city too.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

mph555l

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:53
Stockholm is a pretty city too.

/Ian
K10D & Super A user.

JonSchick

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:54
I'd add Amsterdam into the mix too

helios

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 13:55
As everyone seems to be adding to your list, I would prefer St Petersburg to Moscow and also add Bratislava and Dubrovnik.

Of course if your flight is grounded there are plenty of photo opportuniyies in Edinburgh!
Archie

Joe S

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:13
Well, I' live in Copenhagen so I guess I should chime in. While it is a great city I don't know as a photo destination. These days are just dull and grey - you just never know. The new part "Ørestaden" (yeah, there's a new letter for you) has some very interesting buildings. The beers are good but also expensive

Bruges is also on my list - for the same reason And Berlin is pretty cool.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:28
Thanks again everyone, I'm really pleased to see such a good response to my posting!!!

KZ

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 14:34
Jetsam1 wrote:
I'd have suggested Budapest.... But that's not on your list!!

Been there 4 times and going again next week!

Photoing nice buildings and an interestingly located town Budapest is excellent. But if it is possible, I would choose Vienna and Budapest together, just a two hour drive (or train) from each other.

stub

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:17
Surely the most photogenic as far as architecture is concerned is Rome. I would also include Strasburg and my home town Manchester....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

piotro

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 16:47
chrism_scotland wrote:
Luckily due to having to fly for work I've accumulated a good level of BMI Diamond Club points which I want to use to get away for a long weekend somewhere in Europe

OT, but if you have some numbe of miles (even better, miles with diamond club), booking flight to Europe is just a waste of them (apart of few destinations which are normally expensive most of the time). Number of miles needed for zone 1-2 redemption with diamond-club, plus potential surcharge for connecting flight from Edi to LHR plus massive taxes out of LHR( or just UK) to use for Eu (especially economy) flight - (in general) no no no .
--
http://piotr.zenfolio.com
Last Edited by piotro on 02/02/2011 - 16:49

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 17:00
I've had a look and most of the fee's for Diamond Club booking seem to be very reasonable, £88 tax on a Business Class flight to Moscow from EDI via LHR, which should be £700 odd if booked for cash only.

robbie_d

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 17:36
chrism_scotland wrote:
Luckily due to having to fly for work I've accumulated a good level of BMI Diamond Club points which I want to use to get away for a long weekend somewhere in Europe, but ideally I'd like to go somewhere that has some good photo opportunities, nice buildings etc.

I'm a big fan of architecture and landscape photography so any suggestions from the following would be appreciated:

Copenhagen
Brussels
Moscow
Berlin
Dublin
Hannover
Vienna
Zurich
Beirut

Cheers Guys.

I've only been to Berlin out of the above.

Some great buildings/architecture, and the Tiergarten provides some nice greenery too.

Beer is pretty good as well.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 17:57
Pentaxophile wrote:
Barcelona

But from your list, Copenhagen is the only one I've visited and it's GREAT.

If you go to Copenhagen then a visit to the harbour side and a cool Carlsberg is a must!!!

Much better than the stuff sold here, as is the San Miguel in Barcelona, which also Has Parc Guell to explore...

And don't forget the markets! LINK
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 02/02/2011 - 17:57

giofi

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 21:18
Hardgravity wrote:
If you go to Copenhagen then a visit to the harbour side and a cool Carlsberg is a must!!!LINK

Here you go:

Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 02/02/2011 - 21:26
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.