Good European Cities for Photo's!

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 10:25
Luckily due to having to fly for work I've accumulated a good level of BMI Diamond Club points which I want to use to get away for a long weekend somewhere in Europe, but ideally I'd like to go somewhere that has some good photo opportunities, nice buildings etc.

I'm a big fan of architecture and landscape photography so any suggestions from the following would be appreciated:

Copenhagen
Brussels
Moscow
Berlin
Dublin
Hannover
Vienna
Zurich
Beirut

Cheers Guys.

Jetsam1

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 10:34
I'd have suggested Budapest.... But that's not on your list!!

Been there 4 times and going again next week!
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Helpful

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 10:37
Jetsam1 wrote:
I'd have suggested Budapest.... But that's not on your list!!

Been there 4 times and going again next week!

I loved Prague so I think I'd like Budapest, I've only listed destinations I can get direct from Edinburgh along with Beirut and Moscow (via LHR) but I might see if I can use my points to go to Budapest via Frankfurt or Zurich.

gartmore

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:07
I bet BMI will never give you a flight anywhere you want at a time you want!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:14
Hehe, yeah not likely, they're meant to be OK as long as its booked fairly well in advance.

Blythman

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:16
Missed Newcastle off your list
Alan

PPG
Flickr

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:21
Barcelona

But from your list, Copenhagen is the only one I've visited and it's GREAT.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 02/02/2011 - 11:25

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:21
My choice would be between Beirut or Moscow, however if you want to or have to go to Israel at some stage (unless you get a second Passport for travel to Israel as they do not take to kindly on Visas of ANY Middle Eastern Country) you may get a problem with a visa from the Lebanon in your Passport.
That would leave Moscow.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

CoDa

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:25
Frankfurt old town area.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

vic cross

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:27
39 years of traveling the world on business and my favorite city was and still is Vienna. The city is good for architecture and the surrounding countryside is fantastic. Also the food, beer,and wine are all good. CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:29
If it goes for cities that are not on the list

Santiago De Compostella in Spain

Just make sure you got Terra-bytes of Backup Storrage with you and plenty of batteries as well as a good strong flash gun.
I could spend weeks there and would still not run out of objects to take pictures of.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

dougf8

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:37
From your list *I've been to Berlin, Dublin and Vienna (brief trip to Brussels, meh!).

Vienna is OK, lots of nice buildings very neat and tidy and just a little dull. I've seen a bit of Hundertwasser in Frankfurt and like him very much. It would be worth some research to see how much there is in Vienna, should be a bit as he was born there.

Dublin, I think it was lovely, good old buildings (Trinity), lively arts cinema and I can't remember the rest due to near alcoholic poisoning

Berlin, I went a couple of times pre-wall removal and it was great, very interesting city. I'm sure some of the individualism and divided nation juxtaposition still exists.

The good thing about Vienna and Berlin being, English is spoken and understood. Also a small glass of beer poured in Berlin takes about twice the time a Guiness takes to pour in Dublin. They (Berliners) seem to make a big performance song and dance about scraping a massive head off then letting it settle and then scraping the head off again. All for about 1/3 of a pint.

Have fun.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 02/02/2011 - 11:46

JohnX

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 11:57
Add Venice to the list!
Last Edited by JohnX on 02/02/2011 - 11:58

chrism_scotland

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 12:16
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm currently looking at Moscow in May/June I've also got a bundle of Intercontinental Hotel Points so I can stay in Moscow for free.

But I'd like to go away for a weekend before then so if I'm going to use my Airmiles it'll probably be Copenhagen or Dublin.

I'd love Beirut but I think the way things are in the Middle East just now I'd be hesitant to plan a trip there at the moment, I would love to go to Beirut at some point though, probably more than Israel!

hefty1

Link Posted 02/02/2011 - 12:39
Bruges.

I've never been but since seeing the film In Bruges it's been top of my list of places I'd like to go and see - looked absolutely stunning.
Joining the Q
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.