Going from Paintshop Pro to Elements - any top tips?

Eastridge

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 10:14
Thanks to the post from Hyram about Amazon Black Friday we are soon to be the owners of Elements 9, having used Paintshop Pro XI til now for anything beyond what FastStone can do.

Can anyone out there who has gone from PSP to Elements give us any top tips on 'translating' between the two?

Or the best sources of online help?

Has anyone not got on with Elements and gone back to PSP? I was wondering about downloading the 30 day trial of Elements and making sure we got on with it before opening the package.

We have stuck with JPEG rather than RAW to date so comments focussed on that at present. But may explore RAW in future if Elements has a nice simple (guided?) way to start us off.

Thanks

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 11:18
Also I do not use Photoshop you may find this link very useful.
There are various parts that deal with other issues but for processing skills this may be the right page for you as it has over 100 short videos of all kind of tips and 'how to's' and is 90% PS or PSP based.
Hope that helps you a bit.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 13:01
If you are unsure about switching to Elements then maybe the free download is the way to go. Then you can, as you suggest, sell on the sealed package if it isn't for you.

There are various sites online which offer help and tuition, but really nothing beats a good book about it - the Missing Manual is a good (if dry) one. If you can stand Scott Kelby his books are good, though his PSE9 book isn't out yet.
I subscribe to http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/. Some of their tutorials are free for non members to read.

Eastridge

Link Posted 01/12/2010 - 10:12
Thanks guys. When it arrived we had a quick look around and decided to go straight for it. The user interfaces of the two are nowhere near as different as I feared.

The context aware spot healer is great. A lot of our surf shots were spoilt by having another watersports user in the shot. PSP XI wasn't really up to re-creating the waves / sea water after removal but this is much easier and better.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.