Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Go Your Own Way?

Aitch53
Posted 01/10/2018 - 20:38 Link
As you probably know, the reason I now have a Pentax again (a K10D) is that I collect 10MP cameras (see my sig). A couple of days ago, I decided to start updating the firmware in them, one or two had the original v1.0!

Now, for most of the procedure, it’s simple. Download the upgrade, expand it, put the .bin file on a formatted SD card, insert it in the camera and…

That’s where it gets interesting.

On my Nikons, when you load a memory card with the update on, an extra option (to update) appears under the Menu/Display Version option.

I’ve not got around to doing my Canon yet, but it apparently uses the same procedure as the Nikons.

On my Lumix L10, the Update Firmware option comes up when you press the Display images button.

And, as you all know, for the Pentax K10D, you turn it on while holding the Menu button down. This either tells you the version number or asks if you want to update it.

An weird exception is is the Olympus e-510. You have to download an app and connect the camera to the PC (or Mac) via a USB cable. But then Olympus are weird - I have a very old (which is probably an excuse) Olympus compact that has to be turned off before you can access the option to format the card.

There are no updates for my Sony and Sigma cameras.

This may sound heretical, but it strikes me that the Nikon/Canon method is the most sensible. Apart from the knee-jerk “it’s wrong ‘cause it’s Canikon” reply, can anyone think of a good reason for Pentax’s (and Lumix’s) weird alternatives? Apart from, possibly, they forgot to put it in the Menu system and didn't realise until it was too late?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
barkin
Posted 01/10/2018 - 21:14 Link
IMO none of them seem 'most sensible ' or 'weird' -- just different. It's not like it's something you'd do regularly.
JForeigner
Posted 02/10/2018 - 07:00 Link
Considering that each person that does flash the firmware of their camera has different IT skills, and if it does go wrong, it becomes very expensive very quickly. You would think that the process would be made to be as simple as possible. To be honest, instead of copying a bin file to the root of your sd card, if memory serves me right. I would rather connect my camera to my laptop via a cable, and update the firmware like every other piece of electronic equipment I update. A small simple piece of software from Pentax that sits on your desktop. Simple and easy.

Makes you wonder what percentage of people never update the firmware because of being slightly confused about the process.

Gary
Armed with a K3, some M, A, FA, DA, and star lens. With an eye open for "just one more lens".

My PPG link
johnriley
Posted 02/10/2018 - 09:41 Link
In some cases, updating the firmware is necessary to enable use of new lenses, so we have to be brave! It did seem very complicated the first time though.
Best regards, John
richandfleur
Posted 02/10/2018 - 09:46 Link
I would have thought it could be a menu option on newer WiFi enabled cameras.

Connect to WiFi and check if there is a new version available. If it is then download this over WiFi and ask if you want to install it.

Honestly I think DSLR devices are unusually behind the times in terms of modern user interface design. It’s not just a Pentax thing either.
walkeja
Posted 02/10/2018 - 10:08 Link
I still find it complicated, and probably no matter which method!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
vic cross
Posted 02/10/2018 - 11:05 Link
What's wrong with you guys. Can't you read simple instructions? I was a Machine Tool Mechanical Engineer and sometimes wrote User Manuals for machines. The idea was to "KISS" "Keep it simple stupid". As I used to say. READ THE BLOODY MANUAL.
simples.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
walkeja
Posted 02/10/2018 - 11:18 Link
vic cross wrote:
What's wrong with you guys. Can't you read simple instructions? I was a Machine Tool Mechanical Engineer and sometimes wrote User Manuals for machines. The idea was to "KISS" "Keep it simple stupid". As I used to say. READ THE BLOODY MANUAL.
simples.
CHEERS Vic.

That's right, but what do you do when your computer isn't set up as the manual says?
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
johnha
Posted 02/10/2018 - 11:24 - Helpful Comment Link
Firmware updating needs to be as simple and reliable as possible and also needs to take account that you may need to recover 'corrupted' firmware. By pressing Menu when switching the camera on, the boot loader responsible for updating the firmware, can short-cut the boot-up sequence (if the firmware is corrupt there would be no way to boot it to select a menu option). By holding down a button, the boot-loader (often stored in read only memory) can jump straight to the upload routine and attempt to load the new firmware, irrespective of whether. the current firmware is corrupted or not.

John.
Aitch53
Posted 02/10/2018 - 11:47 Link
johnha wrote:
Firmware updating needs to be as simple and reliable as possible and also needs to take account that you may need to recover 'corrupted' firmware. By pressing Menu when switching the camera on, the boot loader responsible for updating the firmware, can short-cut the boot-up sequence (if the firmware is corrupt there would be no way to boot it to select a menu option). By holding down a button, the boot-loader (often stored in read only memory) can jump straight to the upload routine and attempt to load the new firmware, irrespective of whether. the current firmware is corrupted or not.

John.

That makes sense. For the user anyway.

For the manufacturer, it probably makes more sense if the borked update renders the camera useless and you have to pay to have it fixed...

Cynical? Moi?
SteveH!

MrB
Posted 02/10/2018 - 12:21 Link
By following the clear step-by-step instructions on the Pentax/Ricoh web site, I found that updating the camera firmware was really quite simple, and not nearly as scary as the first time I cleaned the sensor! (I'm happy to report that both procedures have worked perfectly.)

Philip
vic cross
Posted 03/10/2018 - 10:30 Link
Mr. B. Philip. You got it in one. That's just what I said.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Don
Posted 03/10/2018 - 15:06 Link
I wish camera manufacturers would make usb charging, firmware, and date and time sync functions as simple as plugging the camera into the computer (or logging into your wifi network) and clicking "Update" in the camera menu or on the pc .
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 03/10/2018 - 15:14
Aitch53
Posted 13/11/2018 - 14:23 Link
@johnha

Well, having agreed that what you say makes sense and Pentax were probably right about their update procedure, I've just updated the firmware in my recently acquired Q10 and 02 Standard Zoom lens.

They get firmware updates by the menu/firmware-version screen option I mentioned.

Ricoh/Pentax being inconsistent? Oh, say it ain't so!
SteveH!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.