Giro d'Italia

Gwyn

Link Posted 28/04/2010 - 22:15
The Giro is coming to town on the 9 May. Given that the peleton will be travelling at something like 44 km/h (27mph) and I will be standing at the side the road with all my neighbours should I try and get a shot or just enjoy the spectacle?

If I should go for the shot any tips?

Lenses available are the DA 17-70, the 50-135* and 60-250*, plus a Sigma 24-70 F2.8.

My attempts last year during the Eneco time trial left a lot to be desired I must admit. It's just not really my "thing".

Bradley Wiggins whizzing by.

gartmore

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 08:17
I once saw the Tour de France go by whilst on holiday in France, I joined hundreds of locals at a roundabout and waited a long time for the peloton - it went round the roundabout the wrong way

An amazing spectacle nonetheless, a fast whirring colourful blur.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 29/04/2010 - 08:17

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:23
Good luck Gwyn have fun!

I think one of the two wider lenses would be ideal, I don't see why you should have something over 70mm but I might be mistaken.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 09:23

davidtrout

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:35
Gwyn, when you say they speed past at 44kph (27mph) that will be the average speed for the whole stage. At times they will be going a lot faster than that, at others, like when going uphill or at feeding stations, they go a lot more slowly. In my cycle racing days (I was an amateur not a Tour de France rider) I was in a group clocked at 65mph coming down a steep hill in the English Pennines.
If you are going to be at a fixed point, as you say behind a barrier, I think you need to consider panning your shots. The riders will be quite close and it may be difficult to catch them head on with a long lens. Practise panning before you go because you need to be 'match fit' to be successful at this type of picture. You can practise in advance simply by panning cars whizzing past on the road near where you live and decide before the shoot which lens will be best for the distance away they'll be. I think I would chose the 17-70 or the similar length Sigma from your armoury.
Best of luck with the project and I hope we see some of your shots here.
david
PS Whats's the Giro doing in The Netherlands. I know the Tour de France goes abroad quite often but Holland is a long way from italy.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 29/04/2010 - 09:42

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 09:59
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I expect they will be going faster than 44km/h as it is a long straight stretch. I may be able to practice the day before with the amateurs doing a tour over part of the route.

If the weather is good I shall give it a go, but don't hold your breath for any photos here .

David the Giro starts in Washington DC next year .

The stage after that should be an interesting, if wet, one .

We have both the Giro and the Tour starting in the Netherlands this year, but I shan't be going to the Tour - I'll leave that for Stefan .

Anvh

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 10:15
Gwyn wrote:
We have both the Giro and the Tour starting in the Netherlands this year, but I shan't be going to the Tour - I'll leave that for Stefan .

What about Martin!

I'm not so interested in standing on the side line, I rather watch it on the screen so don't expect to see any photos from me
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 29/04/2010 - 10:15

Gwyn

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 12:55
Ah but it starts in Rotterdam, so next door to you - a long way from darkest Groningen .

PeteL

Link Posted 29/04/2010 - 18:27
Hi,
Pro Cycle Racing is extremely difficult to predict from a photographers point of view. A steep hillclimb would be the easiest to photograph as the riders would be doing 10-15mph. Otherwise corners can be a good bet, Either with a long lens or on the inside of a corner with a wide-Angle. Riders approach a corner on the opposite side of the road then try to almost clip the apex before drifting to the outside of the road.On Flat-ish stages that suite sprinters corners are often good places for crashes near the end of the race. Panning from the side on straight sections can work well for small breakaway groups but if there are a lot of riders in a peloton then it can be disorientating panning back and forth to catch the next shot (It makes me quite dizzy!). Then you have all of the Camera bikes surrounding the breakaway riders and any star riders too. Team support cars can be a pain too especially if they are allowed in between the riders (Usually when there is a big enough gap between breakaway groups) There are almost certain to be Breakaways, Either serious attempts to win or more usually to get the sponsors colours on TV. Some towns on the route will have Primes which are places for sprints so that the riders can earn more points and prize money.
Feeding stations can be interesting as riders slow down to collect their musette, Then throw away or swap the contents! Sometimes a good place for crashes too! (as are badly marked traffic islands.)
If you have two or more camera`s then you can fit a telephoto to one and a wide angle to the other.
Best of luck!

Regards - Pete
Last Edited by PeteL on 29/04/2010 - 18:31
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.