Giant's Causeway

Nigelk

Link Posted 23/07/2018 - 13:43
A lovely set, I've enjoyed looking at them then coming back and looking at them again.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 28/07/2018 - 18:00
Thanks Serge and Nigel... glad you saw these...

Serge, thanks vmuch for your detailed response... you've spotted a lot of what I was trying to do that day, and a fair bit more... with so many people around, I did start off on the intimate landscape front, and trying to get the stones to speak for themselves... I was particularly interested in the seaweed that clings to the stones, as well as the shapes and arrangements of the stones themselves... the more interesting textures to my eye were attached to stones that spent a fair amount of time underwater when the tide's up, so that's where I headed... trouble is, once you go anywhere (during daylight) at the Causeway, plenty of other people want to have a look at whatever you may be looking at... and wet seaweed is pretty slippy... and the marshalls with the whistles don't like that very much... ho hum... so that was pretty much the end of that idea...

My next thought was to embrace the fact that there were so many people around and make them part of the compositions, as opposed to trying to pretend they weren't there... and I had a fair bit of success with that (and a number of other shots that I'm pretty happy with along this line, inc a fair few icms/multiple exposures/long exposures/interval exposures etc)... if I could make another visit (and it's not looking likely for a while), I would definitely explore both of these routes further...

But once the crowds started thinning out, and the light started to fade, the scale of the place, and the primal sense of the place, started to loom pretty large, so that's the route I pursued for the last couple of hours or so, till the people, and the light, were gone altogether... I've emphasised the darkness in the processing, as it was that that I walked away with as my abiding memory...

Thanks and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

K10D

Link Posted 29/07/2018 - 07:21
Another unique set of images Bill. You have certainly captured the mood and presence of the location with these.

Throughout your sets of images posted on the forum, of which most are inspirational, I have to applaud your approach and perceptions when photographing subject matter. Keep up the good work Bill.

Best regards

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 02/08/2018 - 10:49
Ah, thanks Gary... thatís very good of you...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.