Getting to grips with the Q

fatspider

Link Posted 30/07/2020 - 20:37
Any trip to Whitby must include the obligatory Lobster Pots, composition could have been better but the Q is such a pain to use in bright light, taken with the 02 standard zoom.

Rail buffs will recognise this place, camera rested on fence post, taken with the 06 Telephoto.

Never thought the Q would be any good for wildlife, I did manage to catch several snaps of a Heron but the light was bad, too much noise and distinct lack of feather detail, however the 06 Telephoto may prove itself to be my prefered lens for squirrels.

All shot as jpegs and more or less straight from the camera with only slight adjustments to levels and a bit of sharpening.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 30/07/2020 - 21:14
Nice Little Trio there Alan - all adds up to a nice looking day out
LennyBloke

Lubbyman

Link Posted 30/07/2020 - 22:25
Looks like you're getting the hang of the Q .

Yes, the screen can be a pain in bright light, but with practice it gets gets more manageable. Sort of combining whatever you can see on the screen with what you can see normally to make an inspired guess - sounds messy but it can be done.

The Q + 06 can be surprisingly good for wildlife, particularly if the creature isn't moving fast, you use raw and are willing to do some post-processng if necessary. It won't match a DSLR, of course, but is still useful for all sorts of creatures (as well as squirrels...). Here's an example (DNG, cropped, contrast tweaked, sharpened). Over to you now!

Steve

fatspider

Link Posted 31/07/2020 - 11:02
Landscapes turn out nice, apart from cropping the sea from the bottom this again has only had slight tweaking of levels and little sharpening.

Had a go with the in camera HDR but the results look a bit muddy , I tried the HDR 1 & 2 settings but they were both terrible. This was HDR Auto straight out of the camera, just like all my other cameras I doubt the Q will see the use of the HDR feature again.

Not tried RAW yet (I'm too lazy to process)
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/07/2020 - 11:41
+1 for landscapes turning out nice.

The 06 can also do good sunsets. In fact, I often found myself reaching for the Q + 06 rather than the DSLR when a good sunset looked possible. Just got to be careful with a 'ghost sun' that can sometimes appear - presumably even Pentax coatings can't deal with the most extreme situatons.

Steve

fatspider

Link Posted 31/07/2020 - 18:46
Can't argue about the sunsets Steve, although I used the 02 for this one, all I've done is crop some tents out on the bottom and a bit of sharpening.

My PPG link
My Flckr link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/07/2020 - 21:03
Nice one!

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.