Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Genuine Warranty for a WG 30 "Underwater Camera"

Jonvzqwq
Posted 13/02/2015 - 14:11 Link
I am looking to buy this camera but I am being stopped by warranties, which do NOT COVER "MOISTURE".

It's an underwater camera - is it me or a no brainer? - that this will be used at or near water - dare it be underwater to the depth of 12 meters (more than my lungs will take me).

Has anyone, any idea of where to buy one that does cover the camera for leaks.
More so as I want to use the expensive camera a second time, next year - in the water - so if I get an extended warranty I will need it to cover that too.

For £200 you'd expect it to work for more than 20 hours of use - surely? You are only meant to use them a max of 2 hrs a day and I have never got one to last more than half of a 2nd holiday - including my Optio WG3 for which I fought off an armed mugger on my own in a Jungle when it was only 5 days old. I could be dead now for a camera that worked another 10 days from new.

HELP, please.
johnriley
Posted 13/02/2015 - 17:01 Link
It's no doubt a standard warranty term, but doesn't make sense for an underwater camera. Obviously if it is used correctly and water gets in, then I'd expect warranty service. I know someone who did get warranty service after a holiday where a WG camera leaked.

I've used these cameras in the dishwasher and there was no problem, so I just don't worry about it. If one day it leaks, then we'll cross that bridge then.
Best regards, John
YORKSBOY
Posted 14/02/2015 - 11:48 Link
johnriley wrote:
It's no doubt a standard warranty term, but doesn't make sense for an underwater camera. Obviously if it is used correctly and water gets in, then I'd expect warranty service. I know someone who did get warranty service after a holiday where a WG camera leaked.

I've used these cameras in the dishwasher and there was no problem, so I just don't worry about it. If one day it leaks, then we'll cross that bridge then.

I know this is "off topic" but I'm intrigued - John, what did you do with the dishwasher?

John
johnriley
Posted 14/02/2015 - 14:55 Link
Fair question John. The W90 was used for this shot, which was one of a sequence using the interval timer. Plain cold water rinse was selected, so no abrasive detergents.
Comment Image

If the cameras are good enough for this sort of treatment, then I'm pretty confident that they're up to scratch in other harsh environments.
Best regards, John
YORKSBOY
Posted 14/02/2015 - 15:32 Link
T
John thats stunning.

I've had an Optio WP since 2005/6 - (its the silver one 5MP). I've used in in pools, the sea, snow etc and have been very pleased with it. Never had any moisture issues at all.

Going back to the original thread I guess its just standard terms.

John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.