Fur, Feathers, Foliage and Ferry with a Four Hundred

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/09/2019 - 21:41
K1 MkII + FA*400/5.6 - all except the first taken on Brownsea Island. Click for the bigger picture....

Comments and criticisms welcome
LennyBloke

Defragged

Link Posted 24/09/2019 - 21:59
The wildlife shots are super. Did you use a tripod?
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/09/2019 - 22:05
Very nice, the pheasant and the deer are great. The FA* 400mm gives a lovely OOF background.

Hard to believe I used to live only a few miles from Brownsea Island (and even now probably only about 25 miles away) and I have never been there.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 24/09/2019 - 23:00
My favourite is that fantastic pheasant.
Best regards, John

OldTaffy

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 00:03
I find the beech leaves and seedpods (number 3) and the beech woods (number 8 ) particularly beautiful images and compositions.
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 10:12
Thanks for the comments - appreciated

No tripod used - all handheld, but I spent a good few hours working on my technique before the trip.

Because the AF is so good on this combination I didn't have to worry about fine-focusing, and even though Shake Reduction is excellent the lower the shutter speed the more chance of slightly soft images (Image 7. is a good example of a "nearly good" shot) - so 1/800 was the lowest that gave consistently good results.
Mikes point about the nice OOF backgrounds is partly due to selecting the right aperture - Maximum (f5.6) is a little hit and miss but half a stop down (f6.3) gives excellent results.

Pentax users are fortunate to have TAV mode, where you can dial in your optimum aperture and shutter speed for the conditions - then let the camera match it with the appropriate ISO. There are varying opinions on the highest acceptable ISO - personally I find 6400 is usually very usable and 3200 almost always - so I set my auto iso range with 6400 as the max.

LennyBloke
Last Edited by LennyBloke on 25/09/2019 - 10:13

AlJones2402

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 10:40
Pheasant and deer. Ooof!!
Very nice.

pschlute

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 12:40
The pheasant for me too. Perhaps a bit of selective brightening on the bird to bring it out a little more ?
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 19:29
Recognisably in the Lennybloke style. Nos. 1 (backlit leaves), 4 (peacock) and 9 (deer) for me, please.

No. 8 is near but not quite there for me. It seems to lack focus (in the compositional, not optical, sense). I wonder whether the network of backlit leaves and seed pods in the bottom right would make a good semi-abstract on its own?

The peacock seems to have only one leg - a bit distracting for me. Would it happen to be a Norwegian One-legged Blue, a deceased pheasant, nailed to the branch so it doesn't fall off??

Mike-P wrote:
I used to live only a few miles from Brownsea Island (and even now probably only about 25 miles away) and I have never been there.

Much like me - 20 miles away, seen it many times from a distance, set foot on it just once and didn't even see a red squirrel...

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 19:41
Lubbyman wrote:
20 miles away, seen it many times from a distance, set foot on it just once and didn't even see a red squirrel...

Two years ago we took a holiday cottage high up on Askham fell in the Lake District. The owner said "you will see plenty of red squirrels up here" He was right. There was a feeder opposite our front door. We were told in no uncertain terms to put anything out for them as he took care of it all. Every morning as we ate breakfast so did 3-5 red squirrels. Closest I have ever been, and didnt bother taking a long lens that trip so no photos unfortuately !
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 25/09/2019 - 19:42

Defragged

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 22:01
LennyBloke wrote:
Thanks for the comments - appreciated

No tripod used - all handheld, but I spent a good few hours working on my technique before the trip.

Because the AF is so good on this combination I didn't have to worry about fine-focusing, and even though Shake Reduction is excellent the lower the shutter speed the more chance of slightly soft images (Image 7. is a good example of a "nearly good" shot) - so 1/800 was the lowest that gave consistently good results.
Mikes point about the nice OOF backgrounds is partly due to selecting the right aperture - Maximum (f5.6) is a little hit and miss but half a stop down (f6.3) gives excellent results.

Pentax users are fortunate to have TAV mode, where you can dial in your optimum aperture and shutter speed for the conditions - then let the camera match it with the appropriate ISO. There are varying opinions on the highest acceptable ISO - personally I find 6400 is usually very usable and 3200 almost always - so I set my auto iso range with 6400 as the max.

I'm astounded by the quality of these considering they were taken hand held and with such a long focal length. I struggle with short focal lengths when hand holding and it's not shakes due to age or lack of strength, so whatever your technique is it's impressive. Thanks for sharing.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 25/09/2019 - 22:11
That's some seriously nice bokeh! Looks a great lens
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/09/2019 - 08:30
Thanks again for the comments, and I'm glad if my explanation of technique has helped somebody

The FA*400/5.6 is a superb lens to have in the arsenal, it's not perfect - it's not as fast as I'd like and it's not quite as sharp at max aperture (unlike the F/FA*300's), but the compact size and low weight make up for any shortcomings, particularly for this type of photography. There are so few around that the second hand prices are ridiculously high - but I'm glad I took the chance.

For those of you in striking distance of Brownsea Island I'd really recommend a trip. It may not be a "Wow" location, it's more a tranquil & peaceful (given its location in the middle of a very busy Poole harbour) - but there are definitely photo opportunities.

If you want Red Squirrel photos then the Woodland Walk up by the Church is one of the most successful locations - and if you want to increase your chances take a bag of Hazelnuts and place a few on the logs, branches, etc. (I don't do this but took advantage of the opportunity created by another photographer).

The Sika Deer tend to hide quite a lot, but if you're fortunate and approach quietly you can come across them almost anywhere on the Island.

I do have an advantage in that I can stay on the island, and the best times are early morning or early evening, but even during the day there are shots to be had. Give it a try - I think you'll find it worthwhile

This is another shot that I didn't include in the original set - It's cropped quite heavily, and isn't great - but with this composition I think it's got something?

LennyBloke

Sry

Link Posted 27/09/2019 - 19:41
3 & 8 are the more atmospheric of the set, and thus gain my preference. The lighting in 3 is particularly compelling.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 10:42
Lovely varied set... the pheasant, squirrel and deer in particular for me... the squirrel in 7 is great... kind of cheeky action shot... and the backlight to 1 is nice too...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.