Fungus images from a Midlands wood.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 08/11/2019 - 12:33
As people have noted, conditions are exactly right for finding all sorts of fungi in the woods where you are.
I went out with a K1 and the SMC Pentax-A 100mm dental macro and a 50mm Macro Takumar to find some
of the more unusual specimens.

1 These tiny things were all over the place and the odd few were caught in bright sunlight.

2 While some were downright suggestive !

3 Where there were dead twigs, little colonies of Conch fungus had sprouted along their length. These
are about 1cm across with a bright white upper side and complex gills beneath. They are stemless and grow
in a manner similar to opening a circular, pleated, paper fan.

4 Many of what will be found are unidentifiable to non fungus bods like me but they can be pretty nevertheless

5 Another tiny one that finishes off the last remaining goodness in near buried tree stumps is the
candle-snuff fungus. These are about 2cm tall.

All of these were taken with natural light only. Most of have been edited for a mobile telephone screen
since it is a very convenient way to carry your pictures around with you. Comments very welcome.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 08/11/2019 - 16:07
Nice set David - 1 & 2 have that lovely, natural warmth that suits an earthy scene - the vibrant colour of the fungi would look overdone in many settings but it's spot on here. No.3 has a particularly nice background effect, 4 fades into black a little too much for me and the aperture shaped background highlights are a bit distracting for me. No.5 has an almost eerie look to it, nice

There are times when natural light cannot be beaten - this is a good example (IMO)
LennyBloke
Last Edited by LennyBloke on 08/11/2019 - 16:08

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 08/11/2019 - 19:27
Love the way they come out of the darkness in no.4. also like you phallic one also
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Lubbyman

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 10:45
Well seen, well taken. The fungi are spot on. Love the glow in the first one.

Agree with LennyBloke about the black in No. 4, perhaps cropping to just below the lowest fungus cap would make it less distracting.

And I'm jealous - 50mph winds stopped a planned woodland trip a week ago, keeping fingers crossed that there will still be some fungi left next weekend.

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 09/11/2019 - 13:45
A lovely set, I think the delicate ones in no. 4 may be called Angelís Bonnet.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 01:24
RobL wrote:
A lovely set, I think the delicate ones in no. 4 may be called Angelís Bonnet.

Thank you. That's what they will be called from here on!
I played about with various crops for this one precisely because of the darkness and (to me) this one came out best. I take on board the distracting highlights and I will see if they can be cloned out. That tilt screen on the K1 really lets you get down to earth level ! Here is another version (with partial removal of distractions).

alfpics

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 18:17
Nice set - I like no 4 best!
Andy

davidwozhere

Link Posted 11/11/2019 - 23:51
Thank you Andy. It has produced mixed results to be sure.

Sry

Link Posted 12/11/2019 - 22:30
+1 for #4 - they look like jellyfish rising up out of the deep dark ocean. No cropping for me, please.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.