Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Full frame rumour

mattox
Posted 23/11/2014 - 20:08 Link
I read that leaks has been released that Ricoh are 100% working on a full frame sale. Anyone know the juicy details?????
Edited by mattox: 23/11/2014 - 20:09
Posted 23/11/2014 - 20:30 Link
past caring to be honest

Ricoh have missed the boat in my opinion. The mirrorless generation is pushing forward. I have used a Sony A6000 and Fuji X100s over the last two months and firmly believe thats where photography is going in the future

Just as Ricoh/Pentax make the big leap, Canon and Nikon will release their big hitting small cameras and push us even further into Prehistoric camera times

Its too late to release a FF camera now but then they didnt have the money a few years ago...

And thats precisely why the camera will cost a bloody fortune!
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 23/11/2014 - 20:38 Link
This sounds stupid, Jackie a friend of mine, brother is married to a japenese lady who worked for pentax saw my k3 said i should of waited but would not tell me anything else
mattox
Posted 23/11/2014 - 20:45 Link
Like the day the k10 came out and blew people's minds away, I think whatever the next body is it'll blow people's to smithereens. I've jsut got that feeling. I only hope that if it is mirrorless, let's hope that Ricoh continues to make all Pentax lenses new and old adaptable. I know for myself, if it were the case that that the ditched the old lens system I'd be doubtful to continue with the Pentax range
Posted 23/11/2014 - 20:46 Link
If you want full frame go get yourselves a film camera like me. Much cheaper
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
Blythman
Posted 23/11/2014 - 21:15 Link
Been toying with replacing my K5 with a K5IIs for a while.

Given the discontinuation of the K5 range (although still available) I'm now thinking I'll hang on and see what's next
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Gwyn
Posted 23/11/2014 - 21:31 Link
Blythman wrote:
Been toying with replacing my K5 with a K5IIs for a while.

Given the discontinuation of the K5 range (although still available) I'm now thinking I'll hang on and see what's next

I am waiting to see what comes. If it is too expensive for me, or not a spectacular improvement I will keep the K5ii, and maybe get a mirrorless other brand and a lens adaptor.
davidstorm
Posted 23/11/2014 - 21:57 Link
I'm sticking with Pentax. I'm not a professional, I enjoy my hobby and I doubt whether I would enjoy it any more with a different brand. Plus, I don't fancy selling all my lenses and starting again!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
K10D
Posted 23/11/2014 - 21:58 Link
Time will tell.

There seems to be a huge push from other manufacturers at the moment. The Alpha 7 II sounds very impressive.

I suppose timing may be critical for Ricoh. A first class ticket is useless if you've missed the boat so to say.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
hogboy
Posted 23/11/2014 - 22:46 Link
I'm more than happy with my K3 and XT1, at least if a FF does come out, threads like these will disappear -)
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20
AndrewA
Posted 23/11/2014 - 22:46 Link
davidstorm wrote:
I'm sticking with Pentax. I'm not a professional, I enjoy my hobby and I doubt whether I would enjoy it any more with a different brand. Plus, I don't fancy selling all my lenses and starting again!

Regards
David

Take it from me it is an expensive waste of time!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link
stu62
Posted 23/11/2014 - 22:53 Link
I did toy with the idea of a canon7d and thought changing lenses no thanks
richandfleur
Posted 23/11/2014 - 23:32 Link
I don't have much money, so a Pentax FF released today could possibly be mine in about 3 - 5 years time maybe?

I've gravitated around Pentax for many years because, simply put, they were superior to anything the competition offered in my particular price bracket (Canon were especially rubbish in this range, Nikon were closer but Pentax still clearly took the win). The competition offered Full Frame, but that was always out of my financial reach anyway, so not much of a starter.

Now I would actually like FF for some of the shots I do, narrow depth of field, wide angle etc, but APS-C has benefits in other areas also. They are different and I'm open to that.

As above though, the mirrorless developments are making the same sized sensors available in cheaper bodies, and offer a huge compatibility with legacy manual focus lenses across a wide range of brands. So, FF has a place, but Sony are leaping ahead in this field (mirrorless) of late and Nikon/Canon are already well established in the FF sector already.

Presumably Pentax would released a FF K-3 equivalent?
Sony now has weather sealing, in body stabilisation of a FF sensor and the mirrorless format offers incredible compatibility to a huge range of FF manual focus lenses.

What are Pentax going to bring to the party this late?
I know that sounds negative, but honestly what is going to be their point of difference that makes other brand users switch sides? (And there has been a lot of that lately with Sony).
Edited by richandfleur: 23/11/2014 - 23:35
johnha
Posted 24/11/2014 - 01:50 Link
If Pentax (Ricoh) launch a K mount 'FF' DSLR camera I would buy one (I doubt I'd buy a mirrorless one though). As somebody who shoots more film than digital (including Pentax 6x7 gear), I have no interest in moving away from Pentax (I've tried and been burnt before).

The 'razor thin' DoF on 135 format bodies gets a whole lot of attention, but in reality it's nothing special (you can get the same effect with care and creativity on APS-C). more importantly for me is that my lenses get their 'proper' focal lengths back. A new film camera would be a refreshing change though along with more prominent marketing of the FA lenses.
Stuey
Posted 24/11/2014 - 22:51 Link
It all seems very interesting and will hopefully happen soon as Pentax have lost buyers to full frame so at least an ff body would plug that gap

Personall I doubt i would be interested - I have saved up a few quid and feel like treating myself but cannot decide what to get but a new camera is not my first choice and no lenses stand out as something I want right now and frame really does not excite me as I like what I have

However, I understand the wantneed for others in terms of an ff body
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.