FULL FRAME OR APS-C

richandfleur

Link Posted 15/03/2021 - 23:27
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
It really depends on what you want. The K1 will give you better image quality, a bigger VF and the originally-intended field of view of older lenses. You pay for that in size, weight and burst rate plus size, weight and cost of lenses to go with it.

Personally, I love my K-3 and would love to get a K-3 III if it ever becomes available at a reasonable cost (not guaranteed with the current market). I have all of the DA Limiteds and many other APS-C lenses which I couldn't replace on FF, either because they simply don't exist or because I wouldn't be able to afford them. These days with kids, a smaller kit is advantageous too and I suspect there would be too many situations where I would leave a K-1 behind and take my much smaller and lighter Fujifilm kit.

The K-3 III will almost certainly have the 26MP sensor that's in most modern APS-C cameras and it's been shown to be superb.

It's all down to what you prioritise.

This is just exactly my thoughts as well.

There is a significant difference in specialties between the K-1 and the K-3. The K-3 is a very capable fast camera and the K-1 a slower but incredibly detailed and capable camera with a different objective.

I don't really subscribe to the marketing focus on sensor size anymore, as there are very capable cameras all the way up to the now quite old 645Z.
You really do need to start with your requirements and priorities, and then chose a tool from there.

Anstonian

Link Posted 16/03/2021 - 07:15
Thanks to all regarding this topic. As you will have guessed I am just an amateur photographer and can't imagine me needing to print "poster size" pictures. I have a number of pictures of my own work on the walls in my house, requested by the wife I hasten to add. These are a max size of approx 20" x 12" and this is way big enough.
If I had to choose one area of photography to concentrate on it would be landscape and from what I read a FF is best for this type of work. Hence my question. It does seem though that an APS-C sensor has all the attributes I need. I was starting to examine the possibility of upgrading to the K3-lll but the indicated cost of the new one is too close to, if not more expensive than, a K1-ll, not to consider the FF. I really don't feel like paying out around 2000 for an APS-C. I love my K3-ll and it has given me some great photos (to my mind) so will probably keep with it and see how the K3-lll develops, if it's ever released. I do, though, really like and use the GPS on my current camera and the upgrade, as far as I can tell, does not have this facility for some reason. I find that this is a brilliant and very useful bit of tech. I never used the pop up flash much so that was no loss to me.
I will stick with what I have for the foreseeable future. Thanks again to one and all for your input.
Andy G.
Andrew Goble

johnha

Link Posted 16/03/2021 - 12:31
I'm an old film shooter and bought my K-1 primarily to use my wide-angles as they were intended. I didn't have many DA lenses (I need aperture rings for my film cameras). When the K-1 development was announced I bought a few FA lenses to be ready for it. Things like better IQ, dynamic range etc. are merely details, the single biggest reason was an FF body for my FA43...

I don't need fast AF, burst rates and a host of other features, but I did want the FF format. The built in GPS saved me buying the separate module and extra features over my K-5 are amazing. The K-5 was too small to grip comfortably and I needed the grip most of the time. I bought the K-1 grip, but for me the camera is better without it - and similar in size/weight to my gripped K-5. I kept the K-5 as it has a very low shutter count, it was hardly worth anything and is a good second camera taking the same batteries/chargers etc.
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 16/03/2021 - 12:32

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 17/03/2021 - 09:19
Anstonian wrote:
If I had to choose one area of photography to concentrate on it would be landscape and from what I read a FF is best for this type of work. Hence my question. It does seem though that an APS-C sensor has all the attributes I need. I was starting to examine the possibility of upgrading to the K3-lll but the indicated cost of the new one is too close to, if not more expensive than, a K1-ll, not to consider the FF. I really don't feel like paying out around 2000 for an APS-C. I love my K3-ll and it has given me some great photos (to my mind) so will probably keep with it and see how the K3-lll develops, if it's ever released. I do, though, really like and use the GPS on my current camera and the upgrade, as far as I can tell, does not have this facility for some reason. I find that this is a brilliant and very useful bit of tech. I never used the pop up flash much so that was no loss to me.
I will stick with what I have for the foreseeable future. Thanks again to one and all for your input.
Andy G.

For landscape using a tripod many of the advantages of FF over APS-C can be drastically reduced. Using a tripod would allow the use of a super-resolution mode which typically quadruples the resolution by shifting the sensor. It would also allow HDR photos. These two things give gains on resolution and dynamic range, the two areas where FF is advantageous in landscape photography. Of course those two things can be done with FF too but how much is enough? Is 96MP not enough for a landscape photo?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/03/2021 - 11:52
Hi Andrew

I have sent you a PM that you may be interested in, it relates to the topic of this thread.

Best regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Anstonian

Link Posted 17/03/2021 - 15:03
HI David. I have sent you a PM but am not convinced it has been sent. I have attempted to send it twice. If you haven't received it let me know please.
Regards
Andy G.

davidstorm wrote:
Hi Andrew

I have sent you a PM that you may be interested in, it relates to the topic of this thread.

Best regards
David

Andrew Goble

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/03/2021 - 23:32
Hi Andrew

We've communicated several times since your last forum comment on this post, thanks for your messages.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

JohnX

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 13:01
I too am looking at K1 v APSC, and wonder what the image quality of the APSC cropped mode is like on the K1 vs. K3ii?

Chrism8

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 13:17
I don't use the crop mode on the K1but do crop heavily sometimes,

Very heavy crop from a K1 + Pentax 150 - 450 lens ISO 1600

Small crop K3ii + Sigma 100 - 300 Lens ISO 100

Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Mike-P

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 13:28
I have used crop mode on occasions purely because you get faster fps and the buffer doesn't fill as fast but most of the time I leave the K-1 in FF mode and crop as required. If you do this when using a crop lens you can normally get a little extra out of the picture if required.

Quality wise if you put a K-3 image against a K-1 image which has been cropped it would be hard to tell the difference apart from the K-1 file being smaller.

I have said I won't be buying the K-3 III (and have actually written out a sale ad for here listing my K-1 and lenses) but I am quite interested to see how the AF performs on the new camera before I go ahead.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 20:54
JohnX wrote:
I too am looking at K1 v APSC, and wonder what the image quality of the APSC cropped mode is like on the K1 vs. K3ii?

What do you do with your pictures ? Print/post to web ?
Peter

My Flickr page

JohnX

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 21:12
I just put them on my home NAS.

Question is driven by my heavy investment in DA lenses and no intention to buy any FF ones.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.