FS Tamron 55BB 500mm mirror lens

roberrl

Link Posted 09/03/2021 - 17:40
Having slipped off the LBA wagon recently something has to go.
As the title says a classic mirror lens complete with dumb Pentax adapter.
Not everybody likes mirror lenses and the fixed aperture is somewhat limiting but I was happy with the results from my first truly long lens.

Looking for £65 posted.

smc

Link Posted 09/03/2021 - 19:29
Does it have the tripod ring?

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/03/2021 - 00:20
That's the earlier version. You can use these quite happily using the camera tripod mount. I've had super pictures from mine.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

roberrl

Link Posted 10/03/2021 - 08:58
I've checked the instruction book and confirm there is no tripod ring.
There is a spacer to prevent the lens getting jammed on a tripod mount because it does extend below the body it's mounted on.
There are two optional extras listed, a set of filters which I don't have and a 2x convertor which could be available at additional cost.

smc

Link Posted 10/03/2021 - 17:05
Thanks for clarify. I didnít know there was a dedicated tele converter.

roberrl

Link Posted 10/03/2021 - 17:48
To be fair I don't think it's dedicated to this lens but rather to the Adaptall system.
It fits in between the lens and the Pentax adapter so can only be used with Adaptall lenses.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 10/03/2021 - 18:18
If I remember rightly there are 2 different 2x converters for the Tamron adaptall system - one is "matched" to a small number of the high end lenses i.e. the 180/2.5 - so you might want to check which one is best for the 500/8 Mirror
LennyBloke

roberrl

Link Posted 11/03/2021 - 09:29
This 2x adapter is an 01F and seems mainly to be directed at longer focal lengths based on the instruction booklet.
There is a note :
The SP flatfield 2x tele-converter is not compatible with Tamron wide angle lenses.
or Adaptall Canon FD, Konica AR or Topcon RE mounts.

I confess the latter prohibitions are not of great concern to me.

bforbes

Link Posted 11/03/2021 - 10:12
roberrl wrote:
This 2x adapter is an 01F and seems mainly to be directed at longer focal lengths based on the instruction booklet.
There is a note :
The SP flatfield 2x tele-converter is not compatible with Tamron wide angle lenses.

Links to an Adaptall2 website 01F link 200F link
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

LennyBloke

Link Posted 11/03/2021 - 10:39
Back to the OP - that's an excellent price for the Tamron 500mm, and as it's fixed aperture the Pentax K adaptor doesn't really matter (compared to the KA adaptor), they used to sell for a lot more - but this price is at the lower end of what they tend to go for on EeekBay, but with rather more certainty of the description and seller - If I hadn't banned myself from buying (approx. 3 months now and still on the wagon) I'd be quite tempted
LennyBloke

roberrl

Link Posted 11/03/2021 - 13:13
LennyBloke wrote:
Back to the OP - that's an excellent price for the Tamron 500mm, and as it's fixed aperture the Pentax K adaptor doesn't really matter (compared to the KA adaptor), they used to sell for a lot more - but this price is at the lower end of what they tend to go for on EeekBay, but with rather more certainty of the description and seller - If I hadn't banned myself from buying (approx. 3 months now and still on the wagon) I'd be quite tempted

Oh come on, play fair! I bought one of your lenses last year - my only purchase in 2020

roberrl

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 09:50
A quick bump and I will reduce the price to £60 including postage and throw in a Minolta MD adapter for Tamron Adaptall if the buyer is interested.

johnha

Link Posted 19/03/2021 - 11:56
If a prospective buyer doesn't want the case, I'll happily by that (mine is in much worse condition).
PPG Flickr

roberrl

Link Posted 23/03/2021 - 19:35
Gone to e-bay.
Sorry John, no takers here so needed to include the case in the auction.

andy_bell

Link Posted 24/04/2021 - 18:31
bforbes wrote:
roberrl wrote:
There is a note :

Links to an Adaptall2 website 01F link 200F link

I have both the 500mm Mirror & the 2x converter & it does indeed fit between the lens & the Lens mount, so you only need the one adaptor...you will also need something to hold it very steady...but they are a lovely piece of glass.....mine cost me much more....and that was some years ago.....

Andy
A few bits & Bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.