FS: Tair-3 300mm F4.5 lens


doingthebobs

Link Posted 25/05/2015 - 16:05
Tair-3 300mm F4.5 preset m42 lens for sale.
One of the best cheap 300mm options. Aperture diaphragm has 15 curved blades to give a pleasant bokeh. Comes with original case, caps and filters and In good condition.

This is the preset version of this lens so nice and easy to use on digital, with an m42 to K mount converter. This is not the Zenith Photo Sniper version so no complicated mechanics you won't want. It has a built in lens hood and tripod mount. There is a skylight and light green filter which have their own storage in the fitted case.

Photos of the lens below, along with some I have just taken with The lens on my K5.













This one was cropped a bit



This one was taken through the double glazing of the kitchen window! (was cleaned the other day)
Roof is about 75-80m away.




55 + postage. Located in Berkshire (Newbury) if anyone wanted to pickup and save the postage.
Bob

andrewk

Link Posted 25/05/2015 - 22:03
This lens looks very similar to the Tair 3-A that I have. Mine had very stiff focussing and I had to strip it down and then clean & regrease the focussing helicoid.

It was whilst I was stripping the lens that I discovered that it is NOT a native M42 lens. If it is the same as mine, unscrewing the grub screws holding the M42 mount allows it to be removed. Underneath is a Russian "A mount", which is the lens's native mount. The "A mount" appears to be identical to the lens part of a T-mount adapter.

The point of this note is that the M42 adapter can be removed and replaced with (the camera end half of) a T-mount to Pentax K adapter, thus converting the lens itself to a Pentax K mount. It's a whole heap easier to use on a Pentax DSLR like that.

From the photos, your lens looks to be in extremely good nick and the price is very good. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat.

All the best
Andrew
Flickr photostream

doingthebobs

Link Posted 25/05/2015 - 22:57
Thanks for the info Andrew.

I understand it was made with M42 and M39 mounts so I guess they were probably made so the mount was the only part that needed different tooling.
I have not had any reason to take this one apart so I don't know for sure what is inside so can't offer any suggestions as to the ease of modification. Being a preset lens there is no mechanical connection of the aperture to the camera so the mount is purely the M42 screw.
Bob

doingthebobs

Link Posted 20/06/2015 - 14:38
Bump.
Bob

doingthebobs

Link Posted 29/11/2015 - 17:30
Bump.
Bob

doingthebobs

Link Posted 02/12/2015 - 23:36
Sold.
Bob

bazm

Link Posted 14/10/2016 - 18:54
andrewk wrote:
This lens looks very similar to the Tair 3-A that I have. Mine had very stiff focussing and I had to strip it down and then clean & regrease the focussing helicoid.


Hi,
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I've just purchased a 300mm Tair 3-A. It has fungus on front and rear lens and is extremely stiff to focus (unusable in this state). I'd like to clean the fungus and re-grease it. Can you offer any advice? I've just cleaned a Helios 44m lens that was in a similar state (this was my first attempt).
Thanks
Barry

davidwozhere

Link Posted 15/10/2016 - 00:47
This one also is not a native M42. The Russian designation (say) Jupiter 11A or Tair 300A would indicate that it does indeed have an interchangeable mount and you can replace it with a Pentax K version if you so wish. The suffix 'A' is the giveaway.
Should you ever do so, DO NOT undo the grub screws completely (you'll never get them back in !) but only sufficient to release the mount ring and get the replacement on. ............ I learned the hard way !
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

andrewk

Link Posted 15/10/2016 - 13:34
bazm wrote:
andrewk wrote:
This lens looks very similar to the Tair 3-A that I have. Mine had very stiff focussing and I had to strip it down and then clean & regrease the focussing helicoid.


Hi,
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I've just purchased a 300mm Tair 3-A. It has fungus on front and rear lens and is extremely stiff to focus (unusable in this state). I'd like to clean the fungus and re-grease it. Can you offer any advice?

Not a lot, to be honest. If I remember correctly, I spent some time on Google trying to find out about how to dismantle the lens. One or two web sites had some interesting info, such as this:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-300-4-5-part-of-the-photosniper-repair-guide-t2...

In the end, I only partially dismantled the Tair lens. The result was far from perfect and it is still quite stiff to focus.

The Tair 300A that I have is in decent nick (no scratches or fungus), but I do not use it. The Pentax 55-300mm zoom is just as good at 300mm and is way easier to carry and to use.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

bazm

Link Posted 15/10/2016 - 21:52
davidwozhere wrote:
This one also is not a native M42. The Russian designation (say) Jupiter 11A or Tair 300A would indicate that it does indeed have an interchangeable mount and you can replace it with a Pentax K version if you so wish. The suffix 'A' is the giveaway.
Should you ever do so, DO NOT undo the grub screws completely (you'll never get them back in !) but only sufficient to release the mount ring and get the replacement on. ............ I learned the hard way !

I did learn the hard way, they're a devil to get back in!

Do you know how to dismantle the lens any further than that. I'm a beginner and I'm loathe to give up on this beast of a lens without trying to clean it up.
Barry
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.