FS: Tair-3 300mm f4.5 GRAND PRIX Brussels 1958

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/01/2022 - 20:46
I bought my Tair-3 300mm f4.5 GRAND PRIX Brussels 1958 a few months ago, I've used it once and although it has a lot of character I doubt I will use it again so if anyone want it I'm happy to pass it on.

Here's a link to the post I created jus after I bought it...
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/tair-3-300mm-f4-5-grand-prix-brussels-195...

It's not mint, it doesn't handle flare at all well, it's not a natural fit for sports, or fast moving nature photography - but it's sharp, fun and can produce some beautiful results with the right subjects and conditions. This is one of my favourites:

I'll add some photos of the lens when I get time. Any questions just shout!

Price 55 inc P&P

UK Only, Bank Transfer, PayPal Gift, Cheque or Cash on collection, inspection welcome.

LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/01/2022 - 09:44
How about 45 inc P&P
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 24/01/2022 - 11:34
...and finally some images of the lens...

aperture blades have oil on them (as you can see in the last image) but as it's fully manual diaphragm it doesn't have any impact
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 18/02/2022 - 09:26
Somebody has got to want this at the reduced price of 39 inc P&P

Haven't they
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/02/2022 - 13:53
Final bump and price drop - 35 inc P&P
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 27/02/2022 - 00:56
I have to say that the bit that has been putting me off is the oily blades. Folk often say, "it's a pre-set so it doesn't matter." Just you wait until the oil dries and they stick together - then they buckle and go 'twoing!', which is why so many Meyer Optik 100s, 135s and 200s have got damaged iris blades. If you see oil on any of those don't touch it with a barge pole. I mention this solely to debunk the 'manual, pre-set' myth. I will purchase the beast and have a go with it please. PM sent.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

davidwozhere

Link Posted 03/03/2022 - 01:40
Received this morning, thank you John -- well cocooned in a big box.

This particular item appears to be a prototype with a very early 00xxxx serial number, a combination 1/4" - 3/8" tripod foot that such an early one shouldn't have and was originally an M39 mount which has been factory sleeved to make it up to M42. The argument against that is that it bears the Brussels Grand Prix 1958 badging. It is possible that some of them sat around in the factory prior to the exhibition and only gained the badge afterwards. (The tube that bears it is a removable part).

The flare seen in the photo at the top of this posting reproduced itself quite strongly and is caused by the very narrow collar around the M39/42 mount which is not wide enough to cover the slots in the M42 > K adapter. It would never have mattered in a native mount on a film camera because it would have fitted snugly. Simple fix - run a thin strip of black card all round the mount collar to make it a bit wider (secured by double sided tape). Add a 72mm hood and the results are now considerably more than excellent. Fingers crossed the blades continue to behave themselves.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

LennyBloke

Link Posted 03/03/2022 - 08:37
Glad it's with you safely David, and great additional info about the lens!

Hope you enjoy using it, actually I don't need to hope - I know you will
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.