FS: SMC Pentax FA* 300mm f4.5 ED (IF)

LennyBloke

Link Posted 18/11/2016 - 17:38
If anyone's after a Pentax FA* 300mm f4.5 then I have one for sale. It is of course Full-frame, being from the range of lenses produced towards the end of Pentax 35mm film AF era - optically it is (I believe) the same as the legendary F* version, although the FA* doesn't have a tripod foot.
It's in pretty good condition, with Pentax caps but I don't think have the case (will search and advise if I do have it). Optically excellent, some minor dust, nice snappy aperture, great results, Cosmetically it has some marks on the infamous silver-grey barrel paint (don't they all?) but not too bad.

Here's some photos of the lens - click on them for a full size "1200 pixels largest side" to see the detail.

If you're interested send me a PM with a fair offer.

UK only sale please
LennyBloke

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 18/11/2016 - 21:49
If I didn't have the DA* already...and if only Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh would reproduce the grey paint and Pentax in large bold black letters on the newer lenses I would be seduced.......
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/11/2016 - 11:45
ilovesaabs wrote:
If I didn't have the DA* already...and if only Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh would reproduce the grey paint and Pentax in large bold black letters on the newer lenses I would be seduced.......

Go on - just do it ...

....I've been fortunate enough to own the DA, FA, F and A and the F and FA versions are my favourite. The DA* is probably a better bet for most people - it has WR, is half a stop faster and has SDM focusing, but the F and FA are more compact and a joy to use. There are some who claim they are a tad better quality than the DA*

A few examples snapped this morning (no sharpening)...

1. at f4.5 indoors, handheld:

2. Again, at f4.5, cropped (approx. 50%):

3. Another indoor, maximum aperture:

if you want to pixel-peep then the full size images are available in the Flickr...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62460860@N05/albums/72157676683252816

This lens (and the F*) are so usable at maximum aperture that as long as you nail the focus you can have complete confidence in it's sharpness and IQ.

LennyBloke

tyronet2000

Link Posted 22/11/2016 - 12:05
A lens I could have used a few days ago. Obviously well out of my price bracket but good luck with the sale
Regards
Stan

PPG

LennyBloke

Link Posted 22/11/2016 - 12:24
tyronet2000 wrote:
A lens I could have used a few days ago. Obviously well out of my price bracket but good luck with the sale

Cheers Stan - it seems like nobody is interested in this one

Judging by your gallery you seem to get a lot out of the 270mm end of that zoom, the FA* would allow lower light work and better IQ (at larger sizes) but you're doing just fine
LennyBloke

womble

Link Posted 22/11/2016 - 19:12
Always interested but I'm no good at haggling and Christmas is not so far away...

Also, a big silver lens with Pentax written on it doesn't look like any of my current lenses so is a bit harder to just add to the shelf without anyone noticing...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

adriano210

Link Posted 22/11/2016 - 20:00
how much ?
k20,k200,e-410,program A,k1000,p30t,Z20,om10,feed5,feed4,mz6,

Mike-P

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 09:48
womble wrote:
Also, a big silver lens with Pentax written on it doesn't look like any of my current lenses so is a bit harder to just add to the shelf without anyone noticing...

K.

Well I keep meaning to sell my FA* 250-600mm so if you bought both then perhaps the 300mm wouldn't be so obvious

I do think this recent idea of asking for offers puts some potential buyers off though, personally I never bother responding to such threads.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 23/11/2016 - 12:48
It's difficult to know what's for the best when listing an item - recent experience has shown that asking for offers means that people who are really interested tend to contact, yes it might put some off, but it has been more successful than just listing with a price. Quite a lot of the whittling down of my collection will not appeal to the majority, but to some collectors, some who want to expand a particular 'series', and of course some gear-freaks (like me)

If it helps how about a price of :
£550

UK only thanks!
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 29/11/2016 - 12:28
Bump....

... and open to reasonable offers
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.