FS: SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/11/2017 - 09:44
Simply not getting the use it deserves so up for sale is my excellent condition SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6.

Full Frame compatible, light for a 400mm, superb IQ , nice smooth focus action. Difficult to find one in such good condition.

Here's the reviews over on the US forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-400mm-F5.6-Lens.html

Here's a mini album of images (not many - sorry):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62460860@N05/albums/72157673510538945/with/3080257...

Any questions just ask - I'll take some photos of the lens shortly and add them to the post.

399 inc P&P (RMSD)

UK Only, Bank Transfer, Cheque (cleared), Postal Order or Cash on collection, Inspection Welcome

LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/11/2017 - 10:47
A little more information on this lens....

... before I bought this lens I had assumed it was basically an 'A' version of the previous 'M' model, but it is was actually a new optical formula in a similar size and weight chassis but with a significantly shorter minimum focus distance (2.8 metres V 5 metres) - this makes a big difference for birding and the like.

This lens is compatible with the highly rated A series teleconverters A 2x-L and A 1.4-L which were designed to perform particularly well with longer focal length lenses (hence the 'L' designation) although it also works well with the 'S' versions.

It's not a lightweight lens at 1240g but it's suprisingly well balanced - the tripod collar on the lens is useful and substantial, personally I find it very usable handheld (although when pixel peeping I think sometimes a tripos would have been better (tiny amounts of shake do transfer)).

I've seen a few discussions in which the Sigma has been compared to it, and the result has generally been that the Pentax is a superior lens (and far more usable at maximum aperture). It does suffer from purple fringeing, but this is easily fixable in PP.

Hopoe that helps/enlightens
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/03/2018 - 18:08
Seems a topical time for a Bump
LennyBloke

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2018 - 23:42
A very topical time! Sorry I can't buy it, hopefully someone will realise how useful it could be.
Best regards, John

LennyBloke

Link Posted 29/04/2018 - 13:09
Still available - Reasonable offers considered...

here's a sample shot from the other day....

LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/07/2018 - 12:02
Lens withdrawn
LennyBloke
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.