FS: SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/11/2017 - 09:44
Simply not getting the use it deserves so up for sale is my excellent condition SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6.

Full Frame compatible, light for a 400mm, superb IQ , nice smooth focus action. Difficult to find one in such good condition.

Here's the reviews over on the US forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-400mm-F5.6-Lens.html

Here's a mini album of images (not many - sorry):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62460860@N05/albums/72157673510538945/with/3080257...

Any questions just ask - I'll take some photos of the lens shortly and add them to the post.

399 inc P&P (RMSD)

UK Only, Bank Transfer, Cheque (cleared), Postal Order or Cash on collection, Inspection Welcome

LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 02/11/2017 - 10:47
A little more information on this lens....

... before I bought this lens I had assumed it was basically an 'A' version of the previous 'M' model, but it is was actually a new optical formula in a similar size and weight chassis but with a significantly shorter minimum focus distance (2.8 metres V 5 metres) - this makes a big difference for birding and the like.

This lens is compatible with the highly rated A series teleconverters A 2x-L and A 1.4-L which were designed to perform particularly well with longer focal length lenses (hence the 'L' designation) although it also works well with the 'S' versions.

It's not a lightweight lens at 1240g but it's suprisingly well balanced - the tripod collar on the lens is useful and substantial, personally I find it very usable handheld (although when pixel peeping I think sometimes a tripos would have been better (tiny amounts of shake do transfer)).

I've seen a few discussions in which the Sigma has been compared to it, and the result has generally been that the Pentax is a superior lens (and far more usable at maximum aperture). It does suffer from purple fringeing, but this is easily fixable in PP.

Hopoe that helps/enlightens
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/03/2018 - 18:08
Seems a topical time for a Bump
LennyBloke

johnriley

Link Posted 25/03/2018 - 23:42
A very topical time! Sorry I can't buy it, hopefully someone will realise how useful it could be.
Best regards, John

LennyBloke

Link Posted 29/04/2018 - 13:09
Still available - Reasonable offers considered...

here's a sample shot from the other day....

LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/07/2018 - 12:02
Lens withdrawn
LennyBloke

LennyBloke

Link Posted 17/04/2019 - 10:21
I'm putting this gorgeous lens back up for sale - simply because it is not getting enough use.

They are quite difficult to find, and although the M series comes up fairly regularly this A series version shares the same dimensions and filter size but is a later optical construction and significantly better (IMO )

It didn't sell at 399 so how about 350 ?
LennyBloke

Tyr

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 20:18
Wow! I'd have it but I won't have any fun money for quite some time.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

pschlute

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 00:53
Heck of a lens for that money. I have the M version. Great bit of kit. Hope you don't regret selling it.
Peter

My Flickr page

MilesGreen

Link Posted 20/04/2019 - 14:41
Someone must pick it up at that price!!
I'd be all over it if i hadn't bought the 150-450. The weight difference compared to the modern one is also huge! I even did some birding with the manual focus Sigma 400/5.6 for a while (the 72mm verison, not the apo-telemacro). For distant subject, and from a hide where birds aren't flighty, it was great. CIF is very helpful, you can either aim the lens and set the camera up to focus trap (i've seen awesome hummingbird images taken like this) or even try it with BIFs - i got quite good at it! The Sigma is had, which is definitely not up to the Pentax quality, was very sharp (sharper than a Canon 100-400L at the time), but it PF'ed a lot and contrast was rather terrible...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.