FS: Miranda P-AF 36 flash (film era TTL AF cameras)

johnha

Link Posted 09/08/2019 - 11:23
For Sale; Miranda P-AF 36 flash dedicated to Pentax AF film cameras with TTL metering. It specifically mentions the SF-7 & SFXN but it works with the Z-1 and I presume with other AF film SLRs with TTL flash metering.

GN 36m @ ISO 100 with bounce & zoom head & AF illuminator.

15 posted to the UK.
PPG Flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 11/08/2019 - 11:22
Can it measure the flash needed for an accurate exposure when bouncing the light off a ceiling?
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

johnha

Link Posted 11/08/2019 - 18:50
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Can it measure the flash needed for an accurate exposure when bouncing the light off a ceiling?

It relies on the cameras TTL flash sensor during exposure (it doesn't have it's own sensor - like the Pentax AF240FT etc). So it will measure bounced flash correctly if the camera supports TTL flash. Not sure if it works jn TTL mode on a manual focus body.

I've also found the box and wide-angle diffuser for it.
PPG Flickr

davidwozhere

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 01:50
Do you happen to know the trigger voltage? I'd hate to fry my *istD !
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Chrism8

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 10:44
I googled for the voltage and couldn't find anything, My understanding is that most flash guns prior to the digital age, have high trigger voltages that will fry the electronics of digital camera's, I'd play safe and use a separate trigger to fire it. They can be found on fleabay for 15 ish
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 11:10
Sending PM. As I intend to use it on film cameras I don't need to worry about trigger voltages. It'll be nice to have a flash that will allow bouncing with TTL on film.

FYI, I found this website (for a sold one) which states it's only for the early Pentax AF film SLRS and not for any other models. I don't know if that's due to TTL functionality or a high trigger voltage.

https://www.heritagecameras.co.uk/bounce-zoom-ttl-dedicated-auto-flash-for-penta...
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

johnha

Link Posted 12/08/2019 - 11:24
*Update:* This has now been reserved.

I've put my DVM across the earth & centre pin contacts, I get somewhere around +3v with the gun charged - dropping to 0v as the flash is triggered. This was a kind of surprise and I can not verify this test is meaningful and wouldn't recommend using it on a digital camera (it's pointless anyway on anything that doesn't support 'old school' TTL flash).

Trigger voltages before electronic cameras were very high (I have a Vivitar 283 that exceeds 270v), at some point it dropped to 'reasonable' levels (either when dedication or AF came in). I don't know whether this is below the 5v range you might expect for a digital camera or in the 10-15v range. I expect many AF film SLRs are equally susceptible to high trigger voltages, the difference is that today, very few of them hold a significant value compared to a DSLR.
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 12/08/2019 - 11:25

davidwozhere

Link Posted 13/08/2019 - 02:04
The comment about the early AF SLRs relates to the likes of the SFX, and *ist which have a sensor on the film plane. The *istD and the *istDS are the only DSLRs that also have this sensor. The *istDS enjoys the best of both worlds, using TTL and PTTL.
(If Jonathan doesn't take it then I will please).
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 17/08/2019 - 13:23
Payment sent.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.