Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

FS: K-50 with The Usual Issue (hence price)

Posted 08/02/2023 - 10:39 Link
FS I have a K-50, which is pretty much unmarked / minimal wear throughout, with sensor in perfect condition. All buttons / clicky bits / computer functionality are as when first out of the box. The screen is in excellent and bright condition.

Of course it has developed The Aperture Block. Camera remains fully functional with manual aperture stop-downable lenses in manual mode currently. Has been fixed once, after which it functioned perfectly, but perhaps the expert fix wasnít very expert. I donít fancy another round of fixing. Such a shame in an otherwise excellent camera. Itís otherwise far too good to go to recycling.

If someone would like to take apart / do the needful / have a fully functional camera thereafter Iíd be delighted.

Neo-bargain price therefore of £50 plus P+P / UK only.

Pics on request.
1stEverPentax
Posted 08/02/2023 - 11:51 Link
Excellent price for a superb camera.

I've got one in the same condition with the same issue but am happy using mine as a backup in pure manual mode...as you say too good to bin.

Karlo
Defragged
Posted 08/02/2023 - 13:43 Link
Have you considered trying to fix it yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZoTUQvwBI
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
smc
Posted 08/02/2023 - 18:19 Link
I have a K30 in the same state and it has become the permanent body for M42 lenses with PK adaptor.
geordie01
Posted 09/02/2023 - 09:39 Link
smc wrote:
I have a K30 in the same state and it has become the permanent body for M42 lenses with PK adaptor.

Same here
Posted 09/02/2023 - 11:34 Link
I have a K-50 with the same issue so doing what smc and geordie01 do:

smc wrote:

is a really good idea!

Cheers
Mike
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 09/02/2023 - 11:40 Link
I'm interested but I'm trying to find out if a K-50 will accept the Katzeye focusing screen I have in my K200D. For now I can't find that info anywhere.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 09/02/2023 - 17:10 Link
Looking at the 'focusingscreen.com' website at the screens they offer for K-50 and K200D it looks like the locating/handling tab at the edge of the screen is in a different position for the two cameras. If this is the case and your Katzeye screen has such a tab then even if it's the right dimensions you wouldn't be able to fit a K200D screen into a K50 camera.

Link to K50 screens:
link

Link to K200D screens:
link

Cheer
MIke
Posted 11/02/2023 - 12:23 Link
Thanks all for input.

I've had one fix and due to intricacies don't fancy doing this myself (there's only so many hours in the day...) It's done me well for years, and an astonishing deal on a mint K1 has led me down a different and hopefully aperture-block-issue-free path.

So: If anyone would like this "excellent but flawed" camera please feel free (well, £50...) to get in touch
Posted 11/02/2023 - 19:13 Link
You have a new message.
Posted 11/02/2023 - 21:47 Link
SOLD with many thanks. Glad it's getting a new home and lease of life
Posted 14/02/2023 - 21:09 Link
And received!.
Thanks for the easy transaction, surgery awaits in the next week or so.
Posted 22/02/2023 - 19:50 Link
I checked the camera when I got it and confirmed ABF.

Today I replaced the solenoid with a white one and it works just fine.

Interestingly, the original repair was a good one, as the defective solenoid was........a white one. I can't say why but that is very unusual.
HarisF1
Posted 27/02/2023 - 16:56 Link
This is why I've been content with shaving the solenoid very gently to get the camera back in action. I've not had a repair go wrong this way.
All the gear with no idea

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.