FS: A few M-series lenses on offer (40/2.8, 50/4 Macro, 120/2.8)

doubled

Link Posted 09/03/2020 - 10:14
Hi all,

Just trying to rationalise my gear collection and concentrating on certain series. So I am letting go of the last of my M series lenses and keeping mainly M42 lenses.

SMC-M 40mm 2.8 pancake lens - It is in near mint condition without any notable marks. The glass is clear without any dust or fungus. Aperture is snappy and focusing action is smooth. This lens seems to have a bit of a cult following but is also a bit of a "Marmite lens". I have read both positive and negative reports on its optical quality and although it isn't as bitingly sharp as any of the 50s at the same aperture, it really isn't as bad as others have made out. At 2.8 this copy is sharp enough (Unless you pixel peep) and sharpens up nicely by F4. What I do find is that it has a certain character, especially the background blur where there is a certain abstract aspect about it.
Price is £65 including postage.

SMC-M 50mm F4 Macro lens - It is in very good condition with some small user marks on the lens body. The glass is clear with a few specks of dust and it doesn't have any impact on the image quality. The aperture is snappy and the focusing action is smooth all the way from MFD to infinity (Really long throw - naturally being a macro). This lens is super sharp and contrasty with lovely colour, even from wide opend aperture. It serves as a pretty nice general walk around lens as well.
Price is £75 including postage.

SMC-M 120mm 2.8 Lens - In very good condition without any marks on the lens body apart from some paint lost on the edge of the aperture ring and the edge of the built in lens hood. Glass is clear without any marks or fungus. The aperture is snappy and engages positively. Focusing is also butter smooth.
Price is £89 including postage.

I would also consider swapping for their M42 mount equivalent (i.e. Super/SMC Takumar 50mm Macro and 120mm 2.8 ).

UK sales only. Please get in touch if you have any questions regarding the lenses and I will try to answer them as soon as I can. Some photos of the lenses to follow.

Cheers,
D

doubled

Link Posted 15/04/2020 - 09:52
SMC-M 120mm 2.8 Lens still available. Price dropped to £69 posted.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 11:26
An excellent and rare lens, notably better than the 100/2.8 and 135/3.5, and probably the best price I've ever seen. I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

danofmk

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 13:12
I've got the K 135mm 2.5, but at that price I'm still very tempted!!

carmagw

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 13:28
Pm sent

doubled

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 13:48
PM replied

doubled

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 16:29
Lens sold!

womble

Link Posted 17/04/2020 - 21:12
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
An excellent and rare lens, notably better than the 100/2.8 and 135/3.5, and probably the best price I've ever seen. I'd jump on it if I didn't already have one.

A bit off topic (but as the lens has sold I guess it doesn't matter too much) but I'm surprised you think it is better than the 100/2.8. The 100 is one of my favourite lenses and I love the rendering. I think it is nicer than the K105 which given my K-series addiction (a friend of mine says I should get treatment for it), that is no mean feat. I have the K120/2.8 but that is a different formula (K is 5-4 and M is 5-5). The US site gives the K a much higher rating than the M, and the M100 a higher rating than the 120, although the ratings have to be taken with a pinch of salt as they use the mean, so one or two bad ratings skews the figures.

The other issue, as always with older lenses, there is always going to be a great deal of variation between examples just down to how they have been treated over time.

The K-series lens I am failing to find at the moment is the 150. Seems to be rarer than hen's teeth.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

doubled

Link Posted 18/04/2020 - 14:08
Lens dispatched!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 19/04/2020 - 08:34
womble wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

A bit off topic (but as the lens has sold I guess it doesn't matter too much) but I'm surprised you think it is better than the 100/2.8. The 100 is one of my favourite lenses and I love the rendering. I think it is nicer than the K105 which given my K-series addiction (a friend of mine says I should get treatment for it), that is no mean feat. I have the K120/2.8 but that is a different formula (K is 5-4 and M is 5-5). The US site gives the K a much higher rating than the M, and the M100 a higher rating than the 120, although the ratings have to be taken with a pinch of salt as they use the mean, so one or two bad ratings skews the figures.

The other issue, as always with older lenses, there is always going to be a great deal of variation between examples just down to how they have been treated over time.

The K-series lens I am failing to find at the moment is the 150. Seems to be rarer than hen's teeth.

Best wishes, Kris.

I haven't used either the 100 or the 120 a huge amount, but the 100 has often left me with pictures I've felt were a bit "meh" (as they say), while the 120 hasn't. The 100 also suffers from comparison to the M 85mm f/2, which is definitely better as it produces images with a fantastic 3D feel to them that few lenses can match. The 120 doesn't suffer here so much as it doesn't get compared due to the difference in focal length.

I haven't used either of the lenses enough to give a more definitive explanation of what I do and don't like, it's very much a personal impression.

As far as reviews on the US site, the 100mm has 49 and the 120mm has only nine, which makes sense as a much less common lens, so the total score is less reliable. I'll add that the only use I have for that total score is dismissing, or not, a lens completely when I find one for sale and want to know if it's worth considering or not.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

HarisF1

Link Posted 19/04/2020 - 14:35
The M120 is definitely a superb lens. Sharp from wide open, so much so that you can identify the smallest details from a 100% image.

The colours are crisp too. I haven't used the M100 enough to compare but I have a lot of admiration for the M120 (sold mine since anything longer than 100 isn't easy to use).
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.