Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Freshly emerged ladybird colour changes

davidwozhere
Posted 06/07/2021 - 22:31 Link
When a ladybird larva gets the call to pupate it has no choice but to stop where it is and let nature take charge. Consequently, you can find them anywhere.
This one had been climbing a coping stone in the garden. I saw it due to its bright yellow colour just after it had pulled itself from the pupa and when I had fetched the camera it had climbed to the top of the stone. At this point they can't figure out what to do with their wings, which often drag around behind them.
Comment Image

Just then the heavens opened and when I returned half an hour later not only was the ladybird soaked but it had opened its wing cases to try and do something with its wings. Consequently, it was wet inside as well as out and its wings were dragging even more. Notice that, in this short time, spots are beginning to become visible almost as if exposure to daylight develops them.
Comment Image

Comment Image

About an hour later it had dried off slightly and it had become a lot more ladybird-like, the yellow having become orange and its spots having become much more pronounced. Its wings are supposed to dry out but there is still a lot of moisture inside.
Comment Image

Well, that's my excitement for the day done.
All taken with a K1, 1st one with a Tamron 90 and the final 3 with a 50mm Preset MacroTakumar around f8 and ISO1600.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Edited by davidwozhere: 06/07/2021 - 22:33
Flan
Posted 06/07/2021 - 22:59 Link
Nice study, David and the last photo reveals the beauty of nature
A titanic struggle for the ladybird but nothing compared to your neck pain holding on to the beast, the K1😀😀
LennyBloke
Posted 07/07/2021 - 07:25 Link
What an enjoyable start to the day - some super macro images and great narrative, thank you David - your efforts are well worthwhile and much appreciated
LennyBloke
RobL
Posted 07/07/2021 - 07:37 Link
I have never seen this before! Well documented and explained, interesting how the colours get triggered by light, or is it exposure to air? Chris Packham would know.
MHOL190246
Posted 07/07/2021 - 15:33 Link
When the ladybird first emerges it has to wait for the wings and the wing case to harden before it can fly. It is during this hardening process that the changes to the colour and spots appear. Basically it is drying out
davidwozhere
Posted 08/07/2021 - 00:34 Link
Thank you Michael. You've made a bit more sense of a long standing puzzle - and thank you all for those nice comments. And DROFMIT - if you are watching, can you post your lovely image from Photocrowd onto the end here? It's bang on topic!

My page on Photocrowd
cardiffgareth
Posted 08/07/2021 - 18:18 Link
The detail in the water droplets

I learnt something new as I thought they all came our red
Gareth

My outfit: K1, K1ii - Z-1P - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 28-70mm f4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Sry
Posted 08/07/2021 - 20:50 Link
Very nice set and story David.
davidwozhere
Posted 09/07/2021 - 01:23 Link
Thank you Gareth and Serge.

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.