Four lenses for sale, plus a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SPII (?)

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 15/10/2021 - 10:12
In the process of Ďslimming downí my lens collection. Iíve checked the lenses are working and can confirm they are. Like others on this site, I like to look after my lenses and I consider them quite Ďmintyí. The price / pricing information at the end might also be of interest.

Pentax 28 - 105mm £350

Sigma 50mm Pentax fit: £295

Sigma 17 - 35mm Pentax fit: £285

Sigma 12 - 24mm Pentax fit: £245

If somebody wants all four then the price would be £900. RMSD included. UK only and Bank Transfer or PayPal (friends / family) .

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SPII

Finally, many moons ago I gave my last Pentax film camera to a chum. He used it and then, once he went digital, he put it away. I forgot all about it. Going through his kit a month ago he came across my old camera. As you can see, itís a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SPII. Itís in good nick and the lens looks clean. I havenít taken any pictures with it but to my, untrained, eye, it looks fit for purpose. I have absolutely no idea what the price should be since they vary from £80 to £240, the latter was in the US. So I am open to offers.

Any questions just let me know.

Pricing:

Iím open to offers for individual lenses. Buy two and thereíll be a 20% discount on the second lower priced lens. Buy three and it will be 25% off the price of the next lower. There again, buy all four for the £900 already indicated and you have a great set of lenses for a great price.

Actually, thinking about it, Iím never going to use the Spotmatic. With this being the case, if someone decides to buy all four lenses Iíll throw the Spotmatic in for free. Iíd rather everything went to a fellow Pentaxian rather than have them everything sitting around doing nothing.

Take care and stay safe all.
Be well, stay well.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 15/10/2021 - 10:16

LennyBloke

Link Posted 15/10/2021 - 11:22
A selection of very nice lenses - the Sigma 12-24 and 17-35 are good value for money, especially as the are Full Frame, and produce some lovely images. I have a 17-35 myself, the only reason it doesn't get used is because of my Pentax 15-30 and 20-35
LennyBloke

Helpful

jeffmsc

Link Posted 16/10/2021 - 18:16
PM Sent re 12-24mm

smc

Link Posted 17/10/2021 - 10:57
Is that a 28mm f2 on the SPOTMATIC?

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 17/10/2021 - 11:20
It is!
Be well, stay well.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 17/10/2021 - 11:21

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 17/10/2021 - 13:25
Sigma 12 - 24mm Pentax fit now sold.
Be well, stay well.

jeffmsc

Link Posted 20/10/2021 - 21:34
Excellent Sigma 12-24 arrived safely in the best packaging I've ever seen. Such a nice chap too, a true gentleman, huge thanks

Helpful

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 20/10/2021 - 22:27
It's two way, Jeff, you were a delight to work with. Enjoy creating memories, (my mantra).
Be well, stay well.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 27/10/2021 - 19:58
Bump. Always open to offers.
Be well, stay well.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 27/10/2021 - 19:59

RichardC

Link Posted 28/10/2021 - 09:25
smc wrote:
Is that a 28mm f2 on the SPOTMATIC?

After just having looked round for (and found) one of those recently, I believe that particular lens was made by Tokina and was considered a premium model (hence the the red P). There are lists of serial numbers which support this (1st digit = 1 suggests Tokina). I couldnĎt find a definitive answer whether C/D means computer-designed or compact-design but either way it should be an indicator of a high quality product. Maybe others know more?

I chose that model as I wanted a circa. 24-28mm relatively fast m42 option to take out with my Tak primes which could be quickly swapped out with faffing with the adaptor.

The SPOTMATIC looks very nice, IĎve got to admit a slight temptation to trying one. How does the metering work with the S-M-C Taks (with auto/manual switch)? Could someone try to explain it in terms someone who has only every used DSLR can understand?

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 28/10/2021 - 09:37
Fascinating, I didn't know any of this, RichardC. I'll be interested in the responses.
Be well, stay well.
Last Edited by Urbanmeister on 28/10/2021 - 09:38

johnriley

Link Posted 28/10/2021 - 13:07
The CD range of Soligor lenses was a premium range dating, I think, from the 1970s or 1980s.
Best regards, John

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 28/10/2021 - 13:38
johnriley wrote:
The CD range of Soligor lenses was a premium range dating, I think, from the 1970s or 1980s.

Ahem, I didn't realise I'd given it to my chum that many moons ago.
Be well, stay well.

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 17/11/2021 - 08:29
Bump. C'mon, you know you want one of these remaining beauties.
Be well, stay well.

RichardC

Link Posted 17/11/2021 - 11:29
Nice stuff, Iím a bit surprised itís still searching for a new home.

Without totally hijacking the thread, Iíd like to say a couple of quick words about the SPOTMATIC and 28mm/f2. I recently ended up with the same combo as a result of separate purchases so Iíll answer my own question about the metering since Iíve now had a chance to play about with it a bit and in case it is of any interest to other film newbies.

For someone who only ever had a point and shoot film camera and whoís first SLR was a DSLR, itís actually quite easy to use a SPOTMATIC. Apart from the meter, which Iíll come to, the rest is fully mechanical and a pleasure to use. I think of it like operating in M mode on my DSLR with the aperture set using the aperture ring and shutter speed on the dial. I find focussing is fine, of course even better with a fast lens. Film ASA is used for metering and set very easily with the shutter dial. There are a couple of things I had to get used to with the metering.

It took a bit of searching to find a battery, in the end I got a 387s on eBay for less than 5Ä which is a good fit and although slightly higher voltage than the old mercury cell it seems to give plausible readings when compared with my DSLR and iPhone app. I believe I will be able to use another cheaper battery once that one goes, I just have to transfer the washer/ring to another type. There is some speculation that the SPOTMATIC has a bridge circuit which assists to limit the meter voltage, independent of the exact battery voltage. I canít confirm this but basically the meter is more than usable with as it is on mine so seems possible.

To operate the meter, you just have to push the meter switch upwards which also gives a DOF preview by stopping the lens down. The meter reading is displayed with a needle in the viewfinder which shows the effect of manually changing aperture/shutter in real-time. Obviously thereís no auto exposure mode but thatís just fine by me. The net result is that itís pretty straightforward to find the correct exposure with a manual decision about whether to change aperture, shutter or both.

I keep an eye on the meter switch after firing the shutter. I think it should automatically switch off but this seems a bit unreliable on mine so I check itís off after firing the shutter to prevent emptying the meter battery.

One hint, m42 lenses without the auto/manual switch will also work but the ones with auto/manual are slightly easier to use. With manual lenses, I tend to focus fully open then move the aperture ring whilst metering, with Ďautoí lenses the aperture can also be set to the desired value before focussing but the lens is only stopped down whilst metering is active.

For experienced film users Iím sure a lot of this was obvious already and may even seem odd to think of things coming from a digital perspective.

The 28mm is a nice match for the SPOTMATIC, the f2 really helps for focussing and it also works nicely with a DSLR so this package is really a 2-in-1 deal.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.