Found this...thought of us!

JohnX

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 16:48
From Yves Bourque's site;

"This may be a good year for Pentax. Stranger things have happened before. Read the facts.
Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

This may be a good year for Pentax. All over the internet, there are talks about the production problems of the major camera players. With the flood in Thailand, Canon, Nikon and Sony have been forced to cease operations and a good majotity of their cameras are not currently being manufactured. It is unfortunate, but buyers may have to pospone their purchases or look for another brand, while this shortage continues.

FACTS:
Nikon cameras affected are: D3100, D5100, D7000, and D300s. Apparently 90% of Nikon's DSLR production is from Thailand.

Sony says it is postponing production of its new A77, A65, and NEX-7 cameras due to supply and production interruptions in Thailand, a result of the extensive flooding there.

Canon makes printers in Thailand and some of their DSLRs, although I'm not certain which they are.

Western Digital Hard Drive production facility was badly damaged and there are talks that Hard Drive prices and availability worldwide will be greatly affected.

Olympus also has some problems. The ousted CEO of Olympus says he was fired for raising questions about more than 675 million in alleged improper payments made during acquisitions by the company between 2006 and 2008. Olympus shares plunged by one-quarter on Monday following an 18 percent fall. I'm not sure what impact this will have on camera production, but it will one way or the other.

Pentax, on the other hand, has no factory affecting production of it's DSLRs and lenses. They are lucky. With the acquisition by Ricoh, and the unavailability of some of the major cameras and lenses at this time, Pentax may inherit some sales by default. Stranger things have happened before."

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 17:15
So the only way Pentax will sell more cameras is if the other manufacturers don't have any stock.
. My Flickr

cabstar

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 17:26
Well if canon / Nikon / Sony etc follow Western Digital then prices are going to shoot up.... Already hard drive prices are doubling in price... Expect prices to triple in first quarter 2012...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

ChrisA

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 17:53
It's very short sighted to rejoice at the bad luck of the other manufacturers.

I doubt our favourite retailers can sell enough Pentax to make up for the lack of stock from the rest.

I'm not even sure it's good for Pentax to feel that they're off the hook for a while.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

DaveN

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 22:27
What about the poor people who lost loved ones, houses, belongings and jobs?

This is in poor taste I 'm afraid.
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax

johnriley

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 22:36
It may not be as straightforward as stated, as I have heard that Sony sensor production has been affected. If that's true, there may be a supply problem with sensors anyway.

Pentax also produces at least many lenses in Thailand, but I'm not sure where those factories are in realtion to the problems.
Best regards, John

chrissinkpen

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 22:59
This echoes my conversation with a salesman in LCE today, it seems that Nikon are sending them old stock or anything they have to send ie, D5000 and D3100 models.(apparently due to the flooding)
Regards

Chris

ChrisA

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 23:02
DaveN wrote:
What about the poor people who lost loved ones, houses, belongings and jobs?

This is in poor taste I 'm afraid.

I take your point, but there are people suffering all over the world, dying unnecessarily in wars, famines, from trivial diseases, etc etc etc.

It's all very sad, but there it is.

Not that you were for a moment suggesting that I should, but I'm not suddenly going to sell my camera gear and give it to charity, sorry. This is a photographic forum, and the impact of world disasters is relevant to the supply of photographic gear.

I'm not moralising about Nikon and Canon's lost revenue, I'm concerned for things relevant to me, such as SRS's continued success.

It may sound callous, but I have only so much room in my head to worry about the world's woes.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Last Edited by ChrisA on 24/10/2011 - 23:07

japers45

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 23:49
DaveN- I think your comments are a little misconstrued. There is no alluding to this being a good thing in the original post, just that it may change factors of supply and demand.

I really cant see Pentax benefiting greatly. A punter spending between 500- 1000 on a camera body is not simply going to buy a KX KR K7 K5 because there are more of them. In fact they are more likely to buy an old D5000 or 1000d if they are a bit green and led by a salesman in Jessops/PC World/Currys/Comet or influenced by marketing. Those who are more informed would research, decide and if not choosing Pentax just wait.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 08:10
As John pointed out, Sony sensors seem to be amongst the effected goods.

Pentax use Sony sensors, so how are they going to go un-affected?

Time will tell if the forcast is correct, I feel not.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

greynolds999

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 08:36
So despite the schadenfreude, which I will ignore, how can this benefit Pentax users?

Lack of supply means prices go up. Which benefits no one. And it adds to inflation which makes us all worse off.
My Photobucket

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 09:37
If these sad events do benefit 'Pentax the company', due to higher prices or increasing their market share, there will be more money available for r&d, and therefore better products, which could increase market share yet more, which could mean lower prices in the long term.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

George Lazarette

Link Posted 25/10/2011 - 22:50
It will almost certainly lead to some extra sales, providing Pentax is able to meet the demand.

Faced with having no Canonikons to sell, the "salesmen" is Jessops will be falling over themselves to sell Pentax. They might then discover that Pentax cameras are quite good, so there could be an enduring impact.

But if there are no sensors, then there'll be no Pentaxes either.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ChrisA

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 08:34
George Lazarette wrote:
But if there are no sensors, then there'll be no Pentaxes either.

Pentax probably have hundreds of sensors, maybe thousands, kicking about, after the stain fiasco.

Not sure it would be prudent to buy a K-5 in Jessops for the foreseeable future

johnriley

Link Posted 26/10/2011 - 09:09
It would be interesting if a batch of K-5s with Samsung sensors had to be made - that would create a rather strange hybrid for the collectors to drool over in years to come. A K-5 Special with only 14.6MP.....
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.