Found a (sort of) local film development lab: How seriously do people take film photography?

Jetsam1

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 07:04
From a recommendation from the US site I found a lab in Budapest for film development (they do a lot of other things as well) and turns out they charge around 2-2.50 per roll regardless of whether it's black and white or colour (slides are a bit more expensive). Had a peek at their darkroom and not a machine in sight, everything done by hand which I think is unusual really and nice to see. I find out if it's any good on Monday afternoon................

My only scanning (as their scanning is quite expensive per frame) is a Veho dedicated film scanner that produces 5 mp. Now the question is whether this set of kit is enough to be serious about being back in the film world as anything (unilkely for me!) really good can be printed or scanned professionally by a frame by frame basis? I would assume that putting the results from that scanner into lightroom with a little post-processing will help bring out the best?

It's as I only picked up the Super A the other day to take some pictures of my daughter playing that I think I've caught the film camera bug again....... So much fun to use even if I did take the first 5 frames without adjusting the ISO!!!

I put in 4 films for development and will be interesting as 3 of them have been in a drawer for at least a year............
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 08:44
Always good to hear someone getting back into film and enjoying it. That's very cheap film processing, especially the B&W.

My understanding of the small 5MP scanners is that they produce bad quality, over-sharpened images, but I've never used one myself. Try it and see if you're happy. If not, the cheapest alternative is probably the Epson V550, which can produce decent results but it's a steep learning curve to get good results.

Scanning is far-and-away the hardest part of a hybrid film/digital process.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

laurencea

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 15:10
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Scanning is far-and-away the hardest part of a hybrid film/digital process.

i've just started processing B&W myself and the scanning is a right pain - i got an old HP (as it did 120 film and a lot of moderm machines don't). the image quality is variable and the preview sometimes bears no relation to the output image.

i may have to bite the bullet and get a new scanner.

welcome back to the world of film - i recently shot a roll in the ME Super and then wondered why it was a Fuji 400, when i only buy 200. turns out it was one i'd taken from an old sureshot and left in the camera bag - it had sat in the sureshot for at least 10 years! it worked fine (although shooting at 200 by mistake probably helped).
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 15:45
B&W can be "scanned" using a DSLR, macro lens, flash and wireless or cable flash trigger and something to hold the negative. This is what I've taken to doing. It yields much, much sharper results but the nice tones produced by the scanner are often missing.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital

Jetsam1

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 17:59
I don't have a macro lens..... Maybe one day.......

A couple of years ago I was shooting a lot of film and have several decent bodies and M lenses but since moving out here and having a child just haven't been keeping with it! Now though if this lab proves good the economics are changed considerably, 880 Forints a film is cheap to us but still a decent amount for Hungary. I used this little Veho scanner for a massive pile of my Grandad's slides and my Dad's slides and negatives. Produced adequate results for the moment but a little processing in Lightroom no doubt would make them better. The thing about negatives is they can always be re-scanned...... At some point a better quality Plustek or good flatbed could well be the way forward (as well as everything else I think I need/want).

It's our daughter's second birthday tomorrow so have put a roll of Ilford Delta 100 in one of my Super As and fitted it with the ME2 winder and an AF400FTZ flash. I am also going to load a roll of Ektar into my Dad's old Spotmatic F, undecided whether to use the Speedlight Flash with it though....... Need to practice manually focusing again........ The K5 will be in use too so will definitely have some decent shots as I may or may not mess up the film! I am going to miss the Kodak C41 B+W, I used to love it.

Yes, these cameras are challenging to get the best out of them but it was great fun wandering around the center of Budapest with the Super A getting funny looks from the tourists! A nice change from digital as well.

Edit: Is it just me or does Kodak Ektar have a very interesting smell when you open it fresh?
Last Edited by Jetsam1 on 01/05/2015 - 18:03

johnriley

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 18:41
I used to love the smell of a newly opened film. Photography has many pleasures!
Best regards, John

Jetsam1

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 18:54
johnriley wrote:
I used to love the smell of a newly opened film. Photography has many pleasures!

I do try not to sniff to closely however......

davidwozhere

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 22:07
Just a thought.

There is a pair of roll-film holders on the slide copier of the Pentax bellows set up. Could you use that outfit to "scan" a roll of 35mm negatives into one's DSLR, and if so, what sort of quality would you be likely to get?
I've got one of those, I've got some old film cameras (but no developing tank) (damn).
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

johnriley

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 22:13
I think there's a problem regarding the crop factor, so you'll only get the central part of the negative or slide.
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/05/2015 - 23:02
I would put the Ektar in the Super A & the Delta in the Spotmatic, because Ektar is fussy about exposure and the Super A will have better metering.

Ilford make a C41 B&W ISO 400 film, I think it's now the only one available after Kodak knocked theirs on the head.

Jetsam1

Link Posted 02/05/2015 - 06:09
XP2? I tried it once and felt a little underwhelmed by it. Have already loaded the cameras last night! I like Ektar through the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8. I have been off work and the medication has made me stupidly sleepy in my defence! I like Ektar and whilst I still have a pile of rolls of cheap Kodak C200 and AGFA pound shop specials I think it's worth sticking to quality B+W and films such as Ektar. And for 1500 forints (about 3.60 depending on exchange rate) for slide processing I can conceivably do a little of that as well.

Oh well, my main problem is manual focusing as I still seem to be too slow and these light sensitive glasses can be seriously annoying. And as soon as I'm back at work I will have almost zero time so am enjoying it while I can!! And it's raining so indoors today.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/05/2015 - 07:48
The important thing is to enjoy it, which I'm sure you will. I think you're right about cheap film. I've used Agfa Vista from the pound shop and for the price it can't be beaten, but there are much nicer films out there.

As for me, I loaded up my Yashica Mat 124G with some Portra 400 yesterday and took it for a quick spin, I'll be out taking some photos with it later today too.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 02/05/2015 - 08:40
I view film cameras and the use of film as a delightful anachronism, a little like I enjoy vintage cars or those odd dingy shops frequented by men with tattoos and unruly beards which sell vinyl LPs.

I admire people who have fun keeping the past alive (good luck to them all) and like the fact that you can still find records and that film is still an option (although not leaded petrol).

But I remember the first time (years ago now) I listened to a CD and experienced crackle-free music, then loaded the files from a borrowed 3mp Fuji digital camera onto my computer, I realised I'd never buy another LP or expose another roll of film. And I haven't.

(Oh, my sports car starts every time and isn't rusting away (much) as my MGB used to.)
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

fatspider

Link Posted 02/05/2015 - 20:23
I no longer have the desire to shoot film, the quality isn't good enough compared to digital, however I do miss the hands on mechanical operation of an SLR, I have two sat on my desk, occasionally they get picked up and the shutters get cocked and fired several times, it's a bit like meeting old friends and saying hello.

It's good to hear people are still giving film a go though.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

judderman62

Link Posted 03/05/2015 - 00:21
and Vinyl beats CD's hands down every time.
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.