Fortnightly competition 86 Golden Hour entries

bjolester

Link Posted 26/01/2012 - 18:45
The Golden Hour is the hour after sunrise and before sunset, where the light has a special quality. Many landscape photographers do their shooting in the Golden Hour. But also architectural photography, human portraits, and many other motives get a characteristic quality when taken during the Golden Hour.

"Typically, lighting is softer (more diffuse) and warmer in hue, and shadows are longer. When the sun is near the horizon, sunlight travels through more of the atmosphere, reducing the intensity of the direct light, so that more of the illumination comes from indirect light from the sky (Thomas 1973, 9–13), reducing the lighting ratio. More blue light is scattered, so that light from the sun appears more reddish. In addition, the sun's small angle with the horizon produces longer shadows." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography))

All photos to be taken with Pentax cameras or the Samsung clones.

Competition closes at 1800 GMT 08.02.2012
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

simonoffpiste

Link Posted 30/01/2012 - 19:23
Newcastle on a cold, crisp morning

Taken at 8am exactly (well, and 50 seconds!) on 29th January 2012 with a K-5 and a DA15.
ISO 320
F8
Shutter 1/10
500px

Flickr

TOZZA27

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 16:20
My Golden Girl.......................

My Golden Girl by Tozza27, on Flickr

Pentax K20D - 18-55 AL DA II hand held - 1/60th sec at f/5.6.ISO 280 - matrix metering
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

geordie01

Link Posted 06/02/2012 - 08:59
High and dry

Taken yesterday at Alnmouth in Northumberland
Pentax K-r
Sigma 10-20 @f8/19mm
iso 100
1/50

milamber

Link Posted 07/02/2012 - 10:38
February rose

This rose has been trying to come out for the last month or so because of the unusually mild weather. Finally managed it then finished off by the frost and snow. The early morning sun highlights another bud next to it waiting for the cold to go......

Pentax 18-250mm @70mm, f7.1, ISO 200, 1/400 sec

bjolester

Link Posted 08/02/2012 - 18:11
FORTNIGHLY COMPETITION NO. 86

Thank you very much for your entries to the ”Golden Hour” competition! The photos are all really nice, and I have had a hard time evaluating them against each other. One has to take into consideration the nature of this competition and that there is a ”one man panel of judges”, the result is that the whole ting is very very subjective. And who am I, a mere aspiring hobby photographer, to judge any of you? Anyway, I have done my very best!

simonoffpiste

The three oval shapes in the image are contrasted with several straight lines. The riverbank on the left hand side takes you into the image all the way to the horizon. Wonderful reflections, light and colours!

TOZZA27

My Golden Girl

A really well-composed portrait, where you have used the horizontal light with great effect. The resulting shadow details are very interesting. Maybe the image could have been cropped slightly less? I also find that the wall behind your subject takes a bit too much focus. Warm light and warm smile!

Geordie01

High and Dry

I like your your motive and composition. That is really a beautiful boat, and the overall colours in the image are great. It is a pity with the footprints in the snow, in my mind it would have been even better with snow ”unspoilt” by man. I would also possibly have preferred to crop roughly ¼ of the bottom of the image.

milamber

February Rose

A beautiful photo of the rose. The dying/dead rose and the bud waiting for the cold to go, in accompaniment with snow, results in an exciting, contrastful image. This theme is also highly symbolic: Life and death, the changing seasons, with spring comes life, etc. The blurred background is also very nice.

The Winner

Second place

February Rose

Third place

My Golden Girl

Congratulations to simonoffpiste for winning the ”Golden Hour” competition! Very well done! And also many ”rounds of applause” to the three other contestants, your entries were also very good. I hand it over to you, simonoffpiste, to find a new theme for the 87th round of the competition. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I must also add that I spend one year in Newcastle in my childhood, where my family lived in Gosforth, and I attended British Middle-School. I have not been in Newcastle since 1977, but I have heard that the city has changed a lot in recent years. I would like to travel to Newcastle the next time I visit the UK, hopefully I might see for myself the River Tyne and the beautiful bridges again.

Best wishes

Bjørn
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

TOZZA27

Link Posted 08/02/2012 - 18:29
You are very kind Bjorn - many thanks for your comments - only sorry there were not as many entries as we could have expected.
Lovely photo Simon as was the Feb Rose and High & Dry.

Come on you lot - if I can find a shot in two weeks then so can you !!

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

milamber

Link Posted 08/02/2012 - 20:10
Well done to Simon and everyone else who entered. Just wish I hadn't sold my FA 50mm - I felt the rose was just lacking that certain something.

simonoffpiste

Link Posted 08/02/2012 - 22:18
Um, gosh, not sure what to say but thank you, thank you, thank you! I know I was very lucky to capture such a lovely scene with my first outing with the DA15, I just hope it's not downhill from here!

I too enjoyed the other entries and would like to say well done to all. With the later sunrise at this time of year I'm surprised more entries weren't posted.

Bjorn, you should see how much it's changed. I've lived here for just four years, but the people I know are very proud that the quayside, an area that has been described to me as 'no go' a few years back, is now such an integral part of a wonderful city.

Now, thinking cap on for the next competition...
500px

Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.