Fortnightly Competition #79: Five Minute's Walk

DrOrloff

Link Posted 20/10/2011 - 10:41
This theme is designed to encourage participation. I'm looking for a photo of anything that is within five minute's walk of your front door.

The usual rules apply. The image has to be taken with a Pentax camera or Samsung DSLR equivalent and be shot within the duration of this competition. Please include camera details and shooting time and date with your image.

The competition will close at 6pm BST on Wednesday 2nd November.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

RPLSF

Link Posted 22/10/2011 - 21:29
White tailed Deer Antler in the front garden

EXIF
Model PENTAX K-x
ISO 400
Exposure 1/160 sec
Aperture 4.0
Focal Length 26mm
Flash Used No
White Balance 0
Metering Mode 5
Date and Time 2011:10:22 12:57:33
....to capture with my K-x what my eye beholds and my imagination seeks...

geordie01

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 07:43
Anchor on Arklow Meadow moored at the Alcan dock at North Blyth two mins from my home.

23/10/11/16.13
k-R
Tamron 18-250mm
f9
1/100sec
iso 200
ex-0.3
F/L 250mm
tripod
Last Edited by geordie01 on 24/10/2011 - 07:47

Northgrain

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 09:24
The Walled Track

Left my front door on Saturday evening, and for exactly 5 minutes walked straight up the old quarry track running up the hill behind the house. Then turned round, looked back down, set the tripod up and snapped away. I've used this as a spur to try out HDR, which I've been meaning to play with for a while.

Composite of six exposure bracketed images via photomatix.

21mm, f/14, ISO 100, 2.5s-1.3s-0.6s-0.3s-1/6s-1/15s

Suspect I'll be asking on the forum for HDR advice soon
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

JudithAnn

Link Posted 24/10/2011 - 17:21
Awsome Autumn

I always wanted to be one of those creative people who can have curb-side appeal, just by putting up such displays. However mine NEVER manage to look as good as this!!!
Take just across the street from me.....

Taken Oct 23'd 2011
Pentax k10d
20-80mm lens
f5/6
Length 31mm
ISO 100

Hand-held....no flash
Last Edited by JudithAnn on 24/10/2011 - 17:22

DanielH

Link Posted 29/10/2011 - 21:06
Autumn Scene

link

Pentax K-r 28/10/2011 at 13.56
ISO 200
1/125
F 4.5
68mm with Pentax DA 50-200
Last Edited by DanielH on 29/10/2011 - 21:12

alexfilipov

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 21:00
A local flower/acessories shop

Pentax K-5
Samsung 16-45mm at 16mm
f5.6
1/125 sec
ISO 160

darlene

Link Posted 01/11/2011 - 15:26
Halloween Night Halloween by darlene Phillips deedee, on Flickr">[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6054/6302085871_b43c6c2234_z.jpg" class="comment_image" />

Halloween by darlene Phillips deedee, on Flickr" class="comment_image" />

Oct 31, 2011
pentax km
ISO 200
flash used
focal length 37.5mm
aperture f/4.5

Just outside my door

darkskies

Link Posted 01/11/2011 - 20:12
La "Grande" Blourde!

Nov 1st, 2011
Pentax k-r
ISO 200
focal length 100mm
aperture f/25
shutter speed 10 secs
This space deliberately left blank.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 20:12
I can now confirm that Bacon Sandwich Time is GMT +2hours and 12 minutes, or thereabouts.

Thank you to those who have supported the nice little competition that is the fortnightly, I enjoyed the wide range of entries. Live long and prosper. Here are my thoughts:

RPLSF: White Tailed Deer Antler

The thing that immediately impresses me about this shot is that from an antler you know that the deer has a white tail. Itís a good find. Itís also a simple, effective composition and the square crop is a good choice. The vignette works and I like th framing but I do find the shot a little over processed, I think the contrast has been pushed just too far.

Geordie01: Anchor

Nice abstract and a very good colour combination of rustiness, green and cream (thatís how I see it, my son informs me itís blue). This has a bit of an optical illusion feel about it. The 5.1m sign tells me I am looking at it from a normal angle but it kind of looks upside down to me. The focus seems to be on the green background whereas Iíd like to see the rusty anchor sharp. But a different and enjoyable photograph.

Northgrain: The Walled Track

You get views like this within five minutes, how lucky are you. My brother lives in Derby and we will visit at some point, Iíd like to drop by if thatís OK and take a five minute walk. I like the way the stone walls frame the view down to the setting Sun and distant hills. Personally Iím not a big HDR fan, Iíd use a grad any day, That is personal taste and shouldnít detract from this lovely photograph but I would take the sky down a notch here with a pp nd grad to bring out more colour.

JudithAnn: Awesome Autumn

It is a beautiful display, it is heartwarming and nice too that someoneís efforts have been immortalised in this photo. The colours on those maple leaves are stunning and complement the pumpkin perfectly. Itís nice and sharp annd well lit. Iím not that keen on the frame and the white burn on the bottom edge. The display is everything here and I think just a simple black frame would set it off perfectly.

DannyH: Autumn Scene

The colours are lovely and the aspect ratio suits the scene. The line of pines at the rear is a nice counterfoil to the turning leaves. However, I do think the scene would benefit from a blue sky which would combine well with the autumn colours and lift it a level as I find the bright but colourless sky with the dark gradient and the burnt foreground edge a bit distracting.

Alexfilipov: Local Shop

Itís a nice looking local shop. The scene is nicely framed with plenty of interest. The graffiti in the background and on the fence makes the viewer wonder about the neighbourhood a little. (Iíve just realised what Iíve said here, itís only five minutes from where you live, so I like the slightly bohemian feel). I like the desaturated look of this too but the image does look a little over sharpened and there are some jaggedy artefacts at this size which detract from the quality - could be down to resizing.

Darlene: Halloween Night.

Thatís a result, all you had to do was open your door and not even walk anywhere. This portrait brings a big smile to your face. The cute kid look juxtaposes well with the costume. Itís a feel good photo, no worries about eggs on your door or glued up keyholes here. Thereís some redeye there, but that rather befits a vampire. The little tombstone is a nice touch, the border Iím less keen on.

Darkskies: La Grande Blourde

Youíve done some nice mini-cascade shots but Iím afraid this is far from my favourite. Good shutter speed and nice colours on the autumn leaves, but Iím not keen on the composition. The stick doesnít do anything for me, it rather competes with the rusty metal bit, and mostly I donít get the jaunty angle, it just gets my head turning a bit. Sorry.

The difficult bit:

1st Darlene: Just too cutesy, I have no choice.
2nd JudithAnn: Seasonal and ubercheerful.
3rd Northgrain: Please post lots more pics of Derbyshire.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 02/11/2011 - 20:15

RPLSF

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 20:44
Thanks again to DrOrloff for the incredible judging. As an avid hiker, camper, and now a boy scout leader, I not only have learned identify antlers but teeth and bone as well. Here in Alberta we have many diffrent species of ungulate, and I hope to have one in my winter store soon. Congrats to Darlene and others. Northgrain, you have added another location to my ever growing wishlist, yours was my favorite.

I will try another pp for this picture, the foilage and antler are very similar in colour, natures gift to the deer no doubt.

darkskies

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 21:04
Hi dr,

I wondered what you'd think of that angle......now I know!

But I stopped at 5 minutes!

Well done, Darlene.
This space deliberately left blank.
Last Edited by darkskies on 02/11/2011 - 21:04

Northgrain

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 21:37
Congratulations Darlene, and JudithAnn also. Chuffed to get 3rd and honoured to be listed with your two (which both really really made me smile ) ... but the entries were all so varied and interesting - so well done all. Great topic from The Good Dr, and many thanks to him also for the constructive and insightful comments. This level of feedback makes the comp so worthwhile.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

RPLSF

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 21:59
Northgrain wrote:
This level of feedback makes the comp so worthwhile.

Well Said, my sentiments exactly!!!!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/11/2011 - 22:22
Doh! Missed the boat again! Trouble with these assignment comps is I think 'ah, plenty of time' and then the time just goes! Love the winning and runner up shots, well done Darlene, JA and Tim.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.